Confusing teams

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
mbauer
Not A Truck

Confusing teams

Post by mbauer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:29 am

Currently the teams can be a little confusing because of 2 issues. I don't know much about programming so I don't know which one of these is most doable, if any.

Issue 1: It's kinda hard to tell the difference between myself and my teammate due to similar colors.

Possible Solution 1: Give one person a light color and his/her teammate a dark version of that same color. This way it should be clear that they are teammates, but there will at least be some color variation and one player will have white numbers on their army indicators and the other will have black.

I like this idea, but a concern I have is whether or not map makers will have control over player color. If they don't then this is contingent on users picking the correct colors, which as we've seen with Lux, users don't typically like to change their colors and settings. If mapmakers do have control over player color, then it could be both a blessing and a nightmare in the long run in regards to controlling map quality and playability.

Possible Solution 2: Assign "banners" that each army carries around with them indicating which player controls them. The banners would need to be by each players name in the PI window.

Problem I see with this option is another symbol on the map that might get muddied and/or confusing when armies start getting large and converging.

Issue 2: When both teammates have a large army on the same space, things get rather jumbled with upwards of 5 units occupying one zone.

Possible Solution 1: Combine both teams armies into one force when in the same zone. So, if player A has 10 soldiers and his/her teammate moves in 4 soldiers, then the solider army icon in that zone will read 14 soldiers. On the next round if player A clicks to move his/her soldiers, then they will only "pick-up" the 10 that they control and will leave the 4 behind.

Problem I see with that is possible confusion with the user not understanding why they can't move all 14 soldiers.

Possible Solution 2: Provide a "show my units" button. Pressing this button will hide all other units accept the users. Pressing it again will restore them all to visible.

Problem with that is another button and complication.

Possible Solution 3: Only the users units are full color and/or full size, all the other players units are either grayed out and/or smaller.

Problem with that is it might look weird.

Discuss

GregM
Luxer

Post by GregM » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:36 pm

One possibility for the colors is just make everyone a clearly different color like in Lux and let people refer to the player info table for teams.

mentor09
Luxer

Post by mentor09 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:40 am

IMO both colors should be the same - but the client should mark your own troups highlighted or so - the enemy shouldnt be able to distinguish.

next: if i enter a castle on my team mates color i should take it over to produce.

so one could "hide" from being killed and come back to the game.

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:20 am

or have a share resources button or something

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:55 pm

Issue 1: Possible Solution 1: one person a light color and his/her teammate a dark version of that same color.

I think this could work well, and we should try it out.