mbauer map requests?

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
JWN
Lux Newbie

mbauer map requests?

Post by JWN » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:50 am

Mbauer could you please do a WWII European Theatre and maybe after that a WWII Pacific Theatre for Vox? I love the global WWII map and I would love to see a single map devoted to each of the aforementioned theatres if you would have the time to create them. Thanks and keep up the good work! :)

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:49 am

Will do JWN. :smt023

I'm working on Russian Revolution now, and then I'll turn my attention to WWII Europe.

Would you like the European theater one to feature America? And would you like the Pacific theater one to feature Russia?

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:29 pm

Gosh, Mb. You sure get a lot of Map Requests :)

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:45 pm

I know we already have an excellent WW2 Europe map, but I just couldn't resist doing one. It is in BETA stage now and I'd welcome any suggestions.

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:04 pm

It is true that I am not an active Castle Vox player... so think of these as suggestions rather than requests (once again, if I list something that has been done.... blame it on my ignorance.)

- French Civil War [French Religious Wars] 1562-1598: A conflict between the French Catholics and Protestants (Huguenots), as well as England and Scotland on the Protestant Side and Spain on the Catholic Side.
For more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Wars_of_Religion

- Spanish Civil War 1936-1939: Conflict between the Nationalists and Republicans in Spain just before the outbreak of the Second World war.

For more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Civil_War
Map of the Conflict:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Guerr ... %B1ola.svg

Those are just some topics I think could be interesting to use. Adieu.

Odanan
Luxer

Post by Odanan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:05 pm

mbauer wrote:I know we already have an excellent WW2 Europe map, but I just couldn't resist doing one. It is in BETA stage now and I'd welcome any suggestions.
Dang, you are good! And prolific! It's a shame I got first the name "World War I", cause you could make a much better one.

I just checked your Cosmic Clash map and felt in love with your space units and "castle". Terrific job!

BTW: everybody knows yours are the best maps for Vox, but I acclaim the American Civil War as the ultimate map job.

PS: maps requested: Vietnam War, Cold War, Korean War, Chinese Warlords (1920's).

About the Chinese Warlords, here is a map to help:

Odanan
Luxer

Post by Odanan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:49 pm

Rhye wrote: - Spanish Civil War 1936-1939: Conflict between the Nationalists and Republicans in Spain just before the outbreak of the Second World war.

For more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Civil_War
Map of the Conflict:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Guerr ... %B1ola.svg

Those are just some topics I think could be interesting to use. Adieu.
Possible players:

1- Republicanos: Republicans, International Brigades, Soviet Volunteers, Arnarchists, Basque
2- Nacionales: Nationalists, Germans, Italians, Portuguese, Regulares (Moroccans)

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks for the kind words Odanan!

the appropriate funds have been deposited in your payPal account

:smt023

Vietnam and Korea are definitely on the shortlist.

I experimented with a Cold War map a while back and it didn't work out, it ended up being just another world map, but I could try again.

Spanish Civil War and Chinese Warlords are good ideas also! I'll add them to my list.

Odanan
Luxer

Post by Odanan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:46 pm

mbauer wrote:Thanks for the kind words Odanan!

the appropriate funds have been deposited in your payPal account

:smt023

Vietnam and Korea are definitely on the shortlist.

I experimented with a Cold War map a while back and it didn't work out, it ended up being just another world map, but I could try again.

Spanish Civil War and Chinese Warlords are good ideas also! I'll add them to my list.
Cool! Are they done yet?

(just kidding) :D

Odanan
Luxer

Post by Odanan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:53 pm

Oh, Vietnam:

Blues:
- USA
- ARVN (South Vietnam)
- ANZAC (Australia & New Zealand)

Reds:
- NVA (North Vietnam)
- Vietcong
- Khmer Rouge or Pathet Lao

BTW, I know something about Vietnam War: http://www.moddb.com/mods/bfv-arsenal Or at least, used to know. ;)

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:22 pm

WWII Europe looks great.

On the off chance anyone was considering something with a Medieval Nordic theme; I'm just about finished VIKING AGE.

Odanan
Luxer

Post by Odanan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:51 am

Wow, thats nice!! 5/5

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:39 pm

And here's Pacific! Also in BETA stage now for anyone that wants to check it out and give feedback

Odanan
Luxer

Post by Odanan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:47 pm

mbauer wrote:And here's Pacific! Also in BETA stage now for anyone that wants to check it out and give feedback

Thats very impressive! I only suggest you to replace "India" for "U. K."

I know is historical accurate, but how you will work the balance? Isn't the Japanese alliance outnumbered? I mean, 2 vs. 4 is not quite fair... Or are you making 3 alliances? (UK + Australia, USA + China, Japan + Japan)

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:02 pm

It is difficult for the Japanese, but it's possible. They start out with a much stronger army, so I tried to make their strategy be such that they have to go strong and hard at the beginning to try and offset the income gap. If they are too cautious at the outset, they'll lose.

The allies on the other hand have to survive long enough to start pushing back. Once Japan has exhausted their initial assault, it's the Allies turn to try push back, provided Japan's gains weren't too great.

That's what I was going for anyway, not sure if it actually works out that way.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:54 pm

Looks great.

One trivial thing. The area labelled 'Outback' in the Northern Territory, Queensland and Western Australia is made up of grasslands and tropical jungle. It's known up north as 'the top end'. 'The outback' tends to be used to describe the desert, like central Australia.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:59 pm

I can change that

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Just played a game as US. Bot settings were on Hawk.

It did seem fairly easy to win against those bots at least. Japan went hard early on but they only broke through Kodiak and West Coast once each and both times for just a turn or two. When Australia started feeding forces into the north the game was over.

So hard to tell against bots though - there's always one or two who oscillate between playing really well and sitting in the one spot doing nada. It's infuriating :lol:

Odanan
Luxer

Post by Odanan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:07 pm

I suggest you to make Mexico and the upper Canadian region (Kitimat?) not conquerable. Territories in Canada, if you keed them, should not be neutral, but "owned" by U. K.

And yes, the Northern Territory of Australia should not be the Outback, which is more likely the central desertic part of Australia. http://www.ritas-outback-guide.com/imag ... e-map2.jpg

Also, I find not unecessary to split islands like Java in two countries. The Japanese Islands, in the other hand... I think they deserve to be at least two territories. If you are inspired, you can make 3: Hokkaido (Hokkaido + Karafu); Kyushu (Kyushu + Shikoku) and Honshu (the bigger island).

Odanan
Luxer

Post by Odanan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Behemoth wrote:Just played a game as US. Bot settings were on Hawk.

It did seem fairly easy to win against those bots at least. Japan went hard early on but they only broke through Kodiak and West Coast once each and both times for just a turn or two. When Australia started feeding forces into the north the game was over.

So hard to tell against bots though - there's always one or two who oscillate between playing really well and sitting in the one spot doing nada. It's infuriating :lol:
Where I can find the map? It's not in my Map Manager.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Do you have Beta enabled?
dustin wrote:
- Beta maps are now hidden by default. To have them show up in your map manager, type /set showBetaMaps in any chat area and then recache.

Odanan
Luxer

Post by Odanan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Behemoth wrote:Do you have Beta enabled?
dustin wrote:
- Beta maps are now hidden by default. To have them show up in your map manager, type /set showBetaMaps in any chat area and then recache.
Wow, I didn't know that! Thanks!

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:32 pm

Just posted an update to WW2 Pacific.

All thoughts are welcome.

MB

steelrain
Lux Newbie

Post by steelrain » Thu May 19, 2011 11:17 am

What about creating a map of middle earth? I'm not a big fantasy fan, but LOTR has a historical feel to it. It could take the genre in a new direction.
Could have the Shire, Rivendell, Rohan and Gondor vs. Mordor, Isengard and the Haradrim.

Another idea would be something to do with al qaeda.

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:33 pm

Middle Earth is off limits due to copy right infringement.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Sun May 22, 2011 2:22 pm

Theoretically a map titled Middle Earth should be fine. Zhōngguó 中國, commonly known as China is Middle Earth. You'd want to avoid place names like Gondor though.

spillblood
Luxer

Post by spillblood » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:01 am

The French-Prussian war of 1870-1871 (that led to the creation of the second German Reich) would be nice. It hasn't been done often in other games. The only one I remember where it is featured is Age of Rifles by SSI.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Prussian_War

spillblood
Luxer

Post by spillblood » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:08 am

A good Operation Overlord map would also be cool (the one that already is in the official map selection is pretty bad). Or a Operation Barbarossa map.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:17 pm

There's Franco-Prussian War map in Lux

http://sillysoft.net/lux/maps/Franco-Pr ... 20War%20HD

Might make for a good conversion, I'll look into it.

As for Barbarrossa and Overlord, both of those are on my shortlist for the Battles series, as is Market Garden, Battle of the Bulge, Guadalcanal, and Iwo Jima

spillblood
Luxer

Post by spillblood » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:30 am

Cool! I like those WW2-battles-maps!