Borders between players

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:05 pm

Borders between players. I know it seems pretty useless to most of the you here, but if you're playing a map with like more than 20 players on it (which I do a lot, and I think there are more players like me), it can be very useful, because there just aren't that many colours :)

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:22 pm

There are enough colours blanco, that's not the issue. Sometimes the allocated colours do look a bit too similar though I agree.

Napoleonic Wars is faultless in every way except for this little issue - when Spain and Denmark inhabit the same region I occasionally have to double check which units are which.

Although this could be part of a cunning plan by mb to confuse the Brits...

You can tailor the players colours to your liking blanco, by either using the editor or by typing the colour values directly into the .voxb file.

If using the editor open the Set Player Info menu and use HSB or RGB to select new colours. HSB has a 360 degree colour wheel, Saturation from 0 (Black) to 100% and Brightness from 0 (Black) to 100%. RGB is your Reds, Greens and Blues, and there's 256 shades of each to choose from.

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Behemoth wrote:There are enough colours blanco, that's not the issue. Sometimes the allocated colours do look a bit too similar though I agree.

Napoleonic Wars is faultless in every way except for this little issue - when Spain and Denmark inhabit the same region I occasionally have to double check which units are which.

Although this could be part of a cunning plan by mb to confuse the Brits...

You can tailor the players colours to your liking blanco, by either using the editor or by typing the colour values directly into the .voxb file.

If using the editor open the Set Player Info menu and use HSB or RGB to select new colours. HSB has a 360 degree colour wheel, Saturation from 0 (Black) to 100% and Brightness from 0 (Black) to 100%. RGB is your Reds, Greens and Blues, and there's 256 shades of each to choose from.
Sure, for maps most of you play, but there's a map I have, for instance, with about 80 players, try finding a different colour for everyone then. Allocation is one thing, but later in the game chances are that two or more players with the same colour are going to become big.

Maybe make it optional, like an option in the map editor or something :)

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:20 pm

blanco wrote:Maybe make it optional, like an option in the map editor or something :)
That's what I was saying blanco, you do have the option of making these changes yourself.
Behemoth wrote:You can tailor the players colours to your liking blanco, by either using the editor or by typing the colour values directly into the .voxb file.

For your map copy and paste the values of all 80 colours from the .voxb file and enter them into the colour selection tool of a graphics program. When they're sitting side by side you should be able to spot the ones which look too similar and alter them.

A map with 80 players is unusual though, not something most map makers are ever going to have to deal with.

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:06 pm

yes, going through all that trouble every time I make a giant map beats borders between players :roll:

last time I checked it was called the "wish" list

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Well if there's 80 players then there's 80 borders?

Sounds like a lot of work however you look at it :lol:

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:37 pm

no it doesn't, simply a line around each player that is different from normal country border lines. very simple and easy to use actually.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:55 pm

A line that is drawn around the unit icon by the map maker/unit icon maker or something else?

Also you realise the colours of the countries you place troops on merge with the player colours so it'll just be an other set of colour issues for you.

Or are you talking about reprogramming the way Vox shows unit icons?

/me still thinks there's more than enough colours...

Any game with 80 players will by default be more time consuming to alter than a smaller sized map of 3-8 players.

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:12 am

what are you talking about? what have units got to do with it? look, between every country there is a border, and the colour of that border is determined by the colour of the continent it is in. what I'm talking about is making it so that the the borders surrounding each and every player have a different coloured line. so these wouldn't have effect on all borders, just the ones where players border each other, inner countries would still have regular borders.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:23 pm

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:36 am

Do you have the ability to provide a mock-up of what you're talking about, because I don't understand/can't visualize what you mean.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:35 am

blanco wrote:what are you talking about? what have units got to do with it?
I was asking myself the same thing blanco - what you've said so far is as clear as mud to me.

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:01 am

Don't you guys have any imagination, jeez :P
Anyway, it could for instance look like this:

No borders:

Borders:

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:44 am

This might help to differentiate between players who weren't sharing their region with a teammate. What about when two or more friendly players inhabit the one space? The more players you have the greater the chances of this happening I would've thought.

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:20 am

Who cares, let there be borders between team mates too. I don't understand what you mean by inhibiting one region. They can't co-own land, the borders are between land ownership. So there would be no problem there whatsoever :)

"And God said, "Let there be borders," but there were no borders (yet)." :P

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:32 pm

Behemoth wrote:What about when two or more friendly players inhabit the one space? The more players you have the greater the chances of this happening I would've thought.
blanco wrote:Who cares, let there be borders between teammates too. I don't understand what you mean by inhibiting one region.

'Inhibiting one region' would have been a confusing thing to write, I agree. For the record I believe all regions should be able to express themselves freely.

Now where were we? That's right, you were saying colors can't be relied on to identify players, but borders can be, even when team mates of the same color end up inhabiting the same region, which as we know -
blanco wrote:chances are that two or more players with the same color are going to become big
Back to inhabiting...
blanco wrote:They can't co-own land, the borders are between land ownership. So there would be no problem there whatsoever
Right you are again - they can't co-own land, so how and why would there be a problem? When one team-mate of identical color to another places units in that team mate's region the borders will identify who's who yeah…? Despite that fact that all units occupying the region are the same color, and the region is the same color as all units inside it…

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:21 pm

What does that have to do with anything? Dude, I am talking about adding borders. WHY are you talking about armies in the first place? This doesn't concern armies. Armies are fine just the way they are. The only people who need to identify them anyway are the team mates, who can do that by hovering over them anyway.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:45 am

1st post:
blanco wrote:Borders between players. I know it seems pretty useless to most of the you here, but if you're playing a map with like more than 20 players on it (which I do a lot, and I think there are more players like me), it can be very useful, because there just aren't that many colours :)
Players are represented on the board by different coloured armies, yeah?

So an army = a player. 2 different coloured armies = 2 different players.

Most recent post:
blanco wrote: Armies are fine just the way they are. The only people who need to identify them anyway are the team mates, who can do that by hovering over them anyway.

I think you just unwittingly answered your own question.
blanco wrote: Armies are fine just the way they are. The only people who need to identify them anyway are the team mates

Sorry but that kernel of wisdom had to be read twice to be believed.

Identifying your enemies is of no importance so long as you know who your friends are?

Sun-tzu had some thoughts on that subject too - Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

But what would he know right?

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:35 am

Dude, first of all, get a life :D, second, the idea I had was about land all along. Who makes team mates the same colour anyway?

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:10 am

:clap:

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:06 pm

and seriously guys, don't you think it just looks cooler with borders? :P

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:04 pm

nope. borders should represent continents and regions, not ownership - colors work just fine for that.

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:07 am

they would still be there, these new ones would be an extra