Costs and Income, the numbers

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
blanco
Luxer

Costs and Income, the numbers

Post by blanco » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:04 am

How about multiplying it all by 10. (knight 50, pawn 30, castle 800, standard income of a country 10). This leaves the proportions the same as they are now, but has the benefit of being able to make countries poor, as opposed to only being able to make them rich (you can only go up from 1, but from 10 you can also go down).

Basically this suggestion, if applied, would give you more options to work with in the map editor. It has no downsides as it changes nothing in the gameplay, and it's easy to implement. Let me know what you think please :)

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Or you could make it possible to gain fractions of income. Like 0.3 for instance. This would have the same effect :) it should be easy to implement and give you an extra tool to work with in the map editor.

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:57 am

please, at least one decimal after the comma, it would make balancing maps so much more fun (A)

mentor09
Luxer

Post by mentor09 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:38 am

blanco wrote:Or you could make it possible to gain fractions of income. Like 0.3 for instance. This would have the same effect :) it should be easy to implement and give you an extra tool to work with in the map editor.
You are obviously not a programmer :-) changing from integer to double is horrible...

And i don't think it's necessary at all. This balancing is not required since a bot game is not like a human game - where you might win even with the lowest income in the beginning.

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:43 am

so moving a decimal is a lot of work? you're right, I'm not a programmer, just thought it wouldn't be hard to do.

and I know you can win, that's why I want to balance my maps to make them harder. see, I have this map, it has over a thousand countries and over 80 players. so if every country gives 1 income, after you grow a little, it becomes way too easy. but if every country would give you like 0.1 or something (with Existence Bonus for AI players and yourself, which I'm suggesting in another topic :P) it would become harder the bigger you get. and not just that, I just like experimenting like that with maps I make. this would just give you way more options in map-making, which I like (notice, I love options)

Anyway, it seems this is not gonna be implemented as Justin isn't reacting, so can anyone tell me how to mod the game to make armies more expensive? any help is appreciated. thanks

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:18 pm

blanco wrote:Justin isn't reacting
I think you mean Dustin...... but I'll react if you want.

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:06 pm

hahaha, yes, I meant Dustin, sorry :P and, yeah, please do

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:15 pm

If it has a benefit... it will be a small one, and if the difficulty is as mentor says it is it wouldn't be worth making such a change.

I myself am not a programmer, so I won't comment on the rest of your post.

~Rhye~

mentor09
Luxer

Post by mentor09 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:41 pm

blanco wrote:so moving a decimal is a lot of work? you're right, I'm not a programmer, just thought it wouldn't be hard to do.

and I know you can win, that's why I want to balance my maps to make them harder. see, I have this map, it has over a thousand countries and over 80 players. so if every country gives 1 income, after you grow a little, it becomes way too easy. but if every country would give you like 0.1 or something (with Existence Bonus for AI players and yourself, which I'm suggesting in another topic :P) it would become harder the bigger you get. and not just that, I just like experimenting like that with maps I make. this would just give you way more options in map-making, which I like (notice, I love options)

Anyway, it seems this is not gonna be implemented as Justin isn't reacting, so can anyone tell me how to mod the game to make armies more expensive? any help is appreciated. thanks
Use 0's for basic income and low continent bonuses.

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:41 am

Use 0's for basic income and low continent bonuses.
no, then there would be no point whatsoever to take that country.

drSnuggles
Luxer

Post by drSnuggles » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:15 pm

Why not?
For instance, a 4-country continent with a continent bonus of 1 gives a value of 0.25 for each country. Pretty easy to set up imo.
Even a country with negative income can make sense and one might highly be interested to hold it. Have a look at the available maps. There are reasonable implementations.

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:03 pm

pff, yes I know i can do that, but I don't WANT to do that. as if I didn't know you can make continents and give countries zero income, or even negative income. that's why I'm SUGGESTING a change/tweak. if you can't help me get what I'm trying to accomplish, please don't post your crappy alternative here either.

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:51 pm

drSnuggles
Luxer

Post by drSnuggles » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:17 am

blanco wrote:pff, yes I know i can do that, but I don't WANT to do that. as if I didn't know you can make continents and give countries zero income, or even negative income. that's why I'm SUGGESTING a change/tweak. if you can't help me get what I'm trying to accomplish, please don't post your crappy alternative here either.
∞ drsnuggles wonders why someone would weirdly try to insist on something that will likely not happen and is reminded of old times when he was a young boy...

..., and suddenly tempted to pull at nim's nose, but knots his shoestrings crisscross from behind, laughs and runs away. ∞
:P