Problem on loading a saved game:chat/command bar disappears

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
spillblood
Luxer

Problem on loading a saved game:chat/command bar disappears

Post by spillblood » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:55 am

Hey, I've been playing some games cooperatively with my brother in LAN. When saving a game in Extreme World yesterday and trying to load the game today we discovered that in this case the chat/command bar at the bottom of the screen disappears, which prevents join by network players.
So you can't save a big map and continue it in multiplayer.
Another problem with this: My brother is still in the player list, but can't join, IE the game becomes unplayable in this case, because it expects him to finish his turn, too although he can't.
By the way, maps like Extreme World would be better suited for LAN play because you simply can't finish a game on these maps in 16 or 24 hour mode, which most servers have. If saving and loading in LAN would work, it would be pretty convenient for those maps.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:05 pm

LAN would be the logical, stealth friendly way for Vox to be played outside of the internet. The idea was raised a while back, that and the possibility of a 'hot seat' option. Both have merits, LAN especially.

You'd hope there was a code tweak that can enable LAN... maybe Dustin has an answer for you.

spillblood
Luxer

Post by spillblood » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:20 pm

Hey, just wanna tell you: LAN works. You just have to enable :"Allow Network Players to join" and disable "advertise network games on the Internet". Then one of the players needs to start a game, the other can join in "Network Games" by entering the IP of the host under "Private Game Adress". So LAN games themselves work, but my problem is that saving LAN games doesn't work right. You should be able to join a (saved) game that one of the players has loaded the same way you can join a freshly started game. But this isn't possible, because the command bar disappears when loading a saved game, plus the player trying to join gets an error message.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:23 pm

yea, castle box cannot load saved games in networking mode unfortunately.

spillblood
Luxer

Post by spillblood » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:01 am

Yeah, would be cool if you'd introduce that. In AI War for example it's also possible. It's pretty useful for large maps like Extreme World that you can't finish in one session (we had that problem last weekend, tried to save but couldn't resume the saved game in LAN mode). I think for maps like the "Extreme" series, The Great War or other big maps LAN is the most reasonable way to play in multiplayer.
A good solution would be to disable autochoosing of the player when loading a game when you've enabled "allow network players to join". This way the players could enter (/play ...) and choose the sides they played before. But the chat/command menu has to be active for that. At present it's disabled when you load a game. The players that have played the game are entered by default, but only the player who loads the game can actually play.