a Hosting FAQ for newbies?

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
HyderaBadass
Lux Newbie

a Hosting FAQ for newbies?

Post by HyderaBadass » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:40 pm

I love Castle Vox so far, but ...

Seems the Game Instructions and Player FAQ on this forum don't cover some of the basics of how to host your own game (or if they do, it's too hard to find -- I've tried hard).:smt013

Questions:

1) How do you set the desired Turn Time?

2) Can the host modify the Turn Time mid-game? (i.e. when finishing a live online game, switch to 24 hour format and vice versa)

3) Is there a way to cap the total number of human players in a game advertised Internet-wide?

4) Can you save hosted games? If the host PC crashes or you have a power cut, does the game get lost?

5) I see the sticky on "headless servers", but there's no explanation of what problem this headless server is designed to solve.

If something exists covering these questions, please send me the link! Thanks. :)

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:25 pm

This should get you started on hosting. Any other questions, maybe post in the Bugs And Tech thread because I'm sure more of us online guys check that place out over Castle Vox.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Re: a Hosting FAQ for newbies?

Post by dustin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:29 am

1) How do you set the desired Turn Time?

- in the Preferences window.

2) Can the host modify the Turn Time mid-game? (i.e. when finishing a live online game, switch to 24 hour format and vice versa)

- no.

3) Is there a way to cap the total number of human players in a game advertised Internet-wide?

- the cap is the number of players on the map.

4) Can you save hosted games? If the host PC crashes or you have a power cut, does the game get lost?

- you can't save and restore hosted games. they're lost if the host crashes.

5) I see the sticky on "headless servers", but there's no explanation of what problem this headless server is designed to solve.

- headless hosts are meant for running a host in a terminal shell console. if you've never used shell consoles, don't worry about headless hosts.