Some combat resolution questions

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
obuw
Lux Newbie

Some combat resolution questions

Post by obuw » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:29 am

Hello all,

First of all, fantastic game! I've been playing Castle Vox the last few weeks with friends and having a blast.

I've got a few questions:

1- Sometimes I feel like infantry don't get their full defensive value if they move. e.g. I move 20 infantry to an undefended area that belongs to me, and the enemy attacks the same area with 20 infantry at the same time. I generally end up barely winning, with 2-3 infantry left. I know this contradicts the FAQ, and the combat calculator, but I was wondering if perhaps a later patch changed something?

2- If you order new units from a castle, according to the FAQ they aren't supposed to arrive until the battle is resolved. However, it seems like this only applies if you are attacking with cavalry. Many times I have attacked a castle with about 30 infantry, and the only defenders were 2-3 cavalry, but the cpu built 25 more infantry and decimated my attacking forces. Am I missing something here? Or is this just bad luck / me imagining things?

#3 - not really a question, more of a suggestion. When I play multiplayer with friends, I'm either in the same room or on skype, so I minimize the chat window. But when resizing the map, using the "fit to screen" option automatically brings back the chat window. I think it would be helpful if it didn't. I end up having to zoom in / zoom out manually to make it fit. And going through this every game gets a little tedious sometimes. Also, it would be very helpful if I could move the recruit panel, similar to how I can move the info panel.

That's all I think. Cheers.

mentor09
Luxer

Post by mentor09 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:58 am

Hi,

#1 Are you sure no other troups were sent in from other countries ? I am pretty sure it works correct - since it works like that for two years now :)

#2 Again: really sure that the bot did not send in from other countries as well ? expecially polymath uses knights to defend a castle as well as pawns. I am pretty sure you are imagining that ;)

#3 -> did you notice these two little arrows on the left side of the chat window slider ? click on the right hand side one :)

obuw
Lux Newbie

Post by obuw » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply. :)

#1 Actually after messing around a bit more with the combat odds calculator, I'm getting a better feel of how things work. Perhaps I was a bit outnumbered in those situations. Adding a couple knights to the situation can really skew the results.

#2 I was probably not taking into account the fact that the castle can defend by itself. And that infantry are really, *really* bad at attacking. :P

#3 Yeah, I'm already aware of that (hence the "so I minimize the chat window" part :P). The problem I have is the fit to screen option bringing it back.