Thought: Unit Upkeep

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
Cu3e
Luxer

Thought: Unit Upkeep

Post by Cu3e » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:22 am

I have been throwing some ideas at dustin and seems couple of them were actually good :lol: He asked me to post them here for further discussion.

I thought the game might be more solid and entertaining if there was some kind of limit to the army sizes. So my thought was unit upkeep. It would not completely remove the advantage the larger nation has but would add more challenges perhaps. To maintain a large army you need to have enough gain but if you have a huge army larger portion of the gain goes to maintaining existing units and less gold is available to recruit new ones.

Right now coming back when you are behind is almost impossible. If there was an upkeep, the guy ahead has to keep aggressive and not just wait for the gain to do it's job. I mean if more land/more army would mean less gold per gain... I hope that makes sense :)

I realise this might cause game balancing issues but hopefully not too big ...

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Re: Thought: Unit Upkeep

Post by dustin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:47 pm

I agree that it can be very hard to come back from when you're behind.

Upkeep cost is an interesting way to balance this. It would need a crafty calculation to determine how much upkeep. Count be based on a number of factors: total army cost, number of countries owned, percentage of countries owned, percentage of armies owned, number of castles, etc...

Cu3e
Luxer

Post by Cu3e » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:59 am

Yes, it is easy to throw ideas. Completely different matter to put them to practice, I know.

I feel it should not penalise nation that is stuck with only castle and lot of units to hold it. If unit upkeep was based on units/land ratio it would hit the small nations more. So perhaps there could be some gap up to which threre is no upkeep at all. Only after a player hs certain amount of gain and has certain number of units the upkeep starts to creep in. In any case, I feel tanks/cavalry should have higher upkeep than infantry so it would maybe slightly prevent the massive tank armies sweeping lands like often happens on the Korean War map for example.

If it was a completely new game mode like CTF is, we could experiment. I would volunteer :)

PerseusSpartacus
Luxer

Post by PerseusSpartacus » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:36 pm

This definitely sounds like it's worth considering as an optional rule - sort of like how cards are right now for Lux Delux, a rule that can be turned on or off which significantly changes the economics/logistics of the game.