Port/Router Problem

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Nikolas
Luxer

Port/Router Problem

Post by Nikolas » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:37 pm

I don't know a whole lot about routers, but it seems that, since I am behind one, my roommate and I have 2 IPs that are randomly assigned to either one or the other of us through DHCP (or whatever). Sometimes I get blahblah.000 and sometimes blahblah.001.

Now, do I have to forward Port 6619 for both IPs on the router setup? or what is the safest/easiest way?---make sure Lux works for both IPs (or is there a way to ensure that I always get one IP instead of the other on the router?).

thanks

tony nickles

LoudMusic
Luxer

Re: Port/Router Problem

Post by LoudMusic » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:33 am

Nikolas wrote:I don't know a whole lot about routers, but it seems that, since I am behind one, my roommate and I have 2 IPs that are randomly assigned to either one or the other of us through DHCP (or whatever). Sometimes I get blahblah.000 and sometimes blahblah.001.

Now, do I have to forward Port 6619 for both IPs on the router setup? or what is the safest/easiest way?---make sure Lux works for both IPs (or is there a way to ensure that I always get one IP instead of the other on the router?).

thanks

tony nickles
First off, starting your DHCP table with 000 is probably a bad idea. I usually start at 10 or so.

To make sure it works every time you might as well forward both. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:56 am

I don't know if it is possible to forward the port to both computers behind the router. When you forward a port you are telling the router "send all incoming connections on that port to computer X". The router couldn't duplicate the connection for both computers, so it would have to choose only one to forward to.

There should be a way to assign IPs to every computer on the router so that your IP stays constant. Look around in the router control panel for something like that. You want to manually specify the internal IP addresses for each cable that is plugged into the router. Some local addresses you can use are 198.162.0.1, 198.162.0.2, etc.

LoudMusic
Luxer

Post by LoudMusic » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:33 pm

Ha ha, I guess I didn't think that one through.

Nikolas
Luxer

Post by Nikolas » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:26 am

I can't sort out all the Static Routing's Default Gateway, Hop Count, LAN/WAN crap on the router setup website---plus I think I'd need to change the setup on my system network prefs (and have my roommate figure out how to change his PC too)---I think the easiest solution is just to log on to the router site, if I get the other IP, and change the port forwarding to match.

thanks though

tony nickles