Foul Language Policy

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
SnyperEye
Anti-Holy Assgrabber

Foul Language Policy

Post by SnyperEye » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:01 am

Good Day Luxers,

With the welcoming of the newly added moderators and ongoing debate on the foul language issue we would like to make sure every Luxer has an understanding of our foul language policy.

The use of foul language is permitted under certain regulations. If your language exceeds into the barrier of regulations then you should expect to see consequences.

This policy is to allow you to know what limitations can/will get you a ban.

1. No Excessive Swearing.
(Excessive covers long dialogues of swearing repeatedly)

2. No Directed Swearing.
(The use of abusive language towards another player)

3. No Hate Speech.
(Offensive comments of bile covering protected categories)

Please also be aware that some host's do not permit swearing in their rooms regardless of policy. This is at the host's request and any guests of those rooms are expected to abide by the host rules. failure to do so can result in being megamuted and/or banned by the host or moderator based on the severity of the situation.

Its great practice to not use foul language at all as it can only help avoid the risk of being banned. So next time you get upset or need to vent just learn to respond by typing Double G's. GG!

Thank You
The Mod Squad
Last edited by dustin on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the shadow
Luxer

Better

Post by the shadow » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:36 am

Better advice and more clarity.

Still open to ambiguity, and some people will get banned for doing less than others, and hence keeping this problem going.

I know it is a tuff call being the police so good luck with it.

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:30 am

Fellow Luxers - I know how easy it is to swear... the mouth just does it sometimes... however, there is a bit of 'lag' when swear-typing or swertxtn' (for you youngsters out there0, - kind of like the 2 or 3 second delay that the FCC imposes sometimes on live TV shows... so there's really no excuse for swear-typing.

Now I know that it feels good to curse like a sailor when one is dominating the world - or giving out a death cry for either actual or percieved un-deserved persecution... but you may get banned - so here are just a few optional 'swear words' - that convey the cursing, but are safe to use.

The words are self explanatory - (however, if you need the words used in a sentence, I am sure other luxers will have fun with this portion of the exam, also feel free to make some of your own phrases)

cork soaker

mouth ear pucker

Fork User

Sunny Beaches (my favorite)

bass master

country
loving horse (together or each alone)

cheese and crackers

just to name a few

The English language is a beautiful and complex thing, and many words have duplicate meanings -

You can say Cock and Tits - but only if you are referring to the birds, as i have just done... those are birds... that I was referring to just then. Suffice to say, when it comes to birds - I prefer Tits to Cocks.

You can also say Bastard - but be careful, B*st*rd written by itself can be easily confused with a swear word, be sure you are reffering to your Bastard Sword when using this one.

Bitch is one of those words that while the original meaning is not necessarily imflamatory - (female dog), however; using it to refer to a non-canine entity is indeed imflamatory - so best not use this one at all, since there are so few dogs who actually play lux anymore... those lazy bitches of yore evidently have better things to do with their time now; perhaps they are soaking corks or using forks, or trolling the sunny beches while commanding the bass master - those mouthy pucker, country loving horses just don't play anymore - so lay off the word B*tch.

just my 2 cents -

SnyperEye
Anti-Holy Assgrabber

Post by SnyperEye » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:26 pm

SUCK MY DICE!!!

Would that be a great example Mike?

jelly
∞ jelly jiggles ∞

Post by jelly » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Now, what about a statement like farging icehole. Is that crossing the line? Or, puck you you flipping jock sucker?

All the years I have worked with kids, they can be very creative at swearing without actually swearing. We took the philosophy that to infer a swear was just as bad as swearing.

What about the infamous term, asshat? This one is thrown around like no other. I never even heard that word until I played Lux. Still to this day, the only place I come across that word is in a Lux room.

Also, if there is fair warning that the room is R rated, and encourages yelling, swearing, making fun of each other, and general inappropriateness, then I'm assuming that this is tolerated in that specific room?

Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:25 am

While we are quoting "Johny Dangerously", Go Buck a Fuffalo!

jelly
∞ jelly jiggles ∞

Post by jelly » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:34 am

Lux Llama wrote:While we are quoting "Johny Dangerously", Go Buck a Fuffalo!
Thank you, the name of the movie was right on the tip of my tongue.

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:37 am

This thread is Nucking Futs!

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:39 am

Capitol Steps does this the best:

http://capsteps.com/sounds/lirty-election2008.mp3

TD4WG
Luxer

Post by TD4WG » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:54 pm

*Edited to read as though English really is my first language*

Ok, so can I get banned for swearing and name-calling even if I do it in a game that I host, and I specifically state in the game description that it will be happening behind the "closed doors" of my game?

SnyperEye
Anti-Holy Assgrabber

Post by SnyperEye » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:11 pm

TD4WG wrote:*Edited to read as though English really is my first language*

Ok, so can I get banned for swearing and name-calling even if I do it in a game that I host, and I specifically state in the game description that it will be happening behind the "closed doors" of my game?
Refer back to the top and re-read.

The Wontrob
Ninja Doughboy

Post by The Wontrob » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:08 pm

It doesn't say that explicit swearing is EVER allowed... but I would suspect that in a room where everyone is ok with it, and there is no DIRECT abusive language, it would be ok. I would still wait until the moderators left though....

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:26 am

Hosts that maintain an abusive atmosphere in their room are subject to the rules, and bad hosts can lose their privileges.

Like the rules say, some swearing is OK, and hosts do have some leeway in deciding where the line is.

Odelay
ooodelayheehoo!

Post by Odelay » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:30 am

I find it humorous that some people act like they don't know the line.

Sir Conga
Lucks Baby

banned

Post by Sir Conga » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:52 am

damnit all, I got a temp. ban for language violation. language? please... what a joke.

Sir Conga

Precious
Lux Diva

Post by Precious » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:58 pm

If I may say so. I know I don't play online alot but when I do I like to play in a friendly enviroment thats free from all types of negativity. What I don't understand is why would someone make a fuss about established rules? I like the policy because it seems fair. If the owner of the game wishes to have a few rules by all means he's allowed. It's his business and his creation and I think everyone should respect that.

Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:23 pm

It would seem that simple to me...

This game is also supposed to be for ages 13+ if I am not mistaken. I know most 13 year olds curse like sailors. But not all of them.

-NN-Grim
Luxidermy King

Post by -NN-Grim » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:05 pm

I dont know you that well Mr. Conga, but it isn't just a matter of expletives, it is a matter of where you direct the expletive and any other comments that might be abusive, whether they are expletives or not.

I think your prior post contains clues to your problem.
Who ever reported me is a stupid little punk. language? please... what a joke. some people are such wieners.
although those are rather mild comments, they are comments that you would direct toward another luxer and with slightly harsher words could fall under the category of abusive language.

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:18 pm

If hosts have issues with the sillysoft rules, they can always host private games.

Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Sun May 09, 2010 10:18 am

This is a serious question for the mods.

I have an ongoing joke with another player where we imply that we have had intimate relations with each other's mothers. Often this is expressed upon entering a room...not out of anger or as a response to game play. After the exchange "hi ...how are you's" and normal conversation takes place.

How would a mod in the room react to this? How would a mod react if this was reported as "foul language" or "abuse" by a third party?

thanks.

edited for spelling.
Last edited by Llama LluxaLlot on Sun May 09, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:57 pm

If it was sent as a report, Dustin would deal with it (he's the only one who gets them). As far as my reaction, I would actually have to see it to give an opinion. Feel free to pm me if you want.

jwd
kill kill kill™

Post by jwd » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:52 am

Now wait wait wait just one god damned minute..

Nim's a MOD????

Well...

F***.

jwd

jwd
kill kill kill™

Post by jwd » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:54 am

Nimrod7 wrote:If it was sent as a report, Dustin would deal with it (he's the only one who gets them). As far as my reaction, I would actually have to see it to give an opinion. Feel free to pm me if you want.
You would have to see the chat, or them being intimate w/ their mothers?

;-)

Hey.. Someone had to ask..

;-)

jwd

jwd
kill kill kill™

Post by jwd » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:59 am

Seriously tho.. question..

Does this mean I can't host a room, well labeled "Adults only" and allow players/chatters to say what we like while drinking, listening to music, and occasionally remembering there's a game there?

Cause if that's the case.. well.. that's just sad.

shrug.

Just my $0.02US

jwd

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:04 am

Personally, i would say that is ok JWD......especially seeing you would be the host, and if it was a +18 age bracket, and assuming that you knew the players in your room, there wouldnt be a problem, would there?

I know that i swear quite regularily in Para's classic room, but, the swearing is generally at myself for making dumb moves, and Para sort of knows that im a drunk Aussie, who knows when it is time to act responsibly....... I mean, i have sort of a moral obligation to make new players feel welcome, to keep the peace in a room as much as possible, and to try and set a good example, but hey, life is meant to be a whole lot of fun intertwined with serious moments, and i do not think anyone remotely sensible would be-grudge you some moments of light-hearted swearing.

Only my 2C worth, and i know that in Australia, our culture is sort of a bit more laid-back than others, and swearing is a term of endearment Down Under; however, i know that also other cultures would frown upon what i consider fun, so i do try and tone it down in front of peeps who do not really know me, or my history.......

jwd
kill kill kill™

Post by jwd » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:52 pm

mazza wrote:Personally, i would say that is ok JWD......especially seeing you would be the host, and if it was a +18 age bracket, and assuming that you knew the players in your room, there wouldnt be a problem, would there?

I know that i swear quite regularily in Para's classic room, but, the swearing is generally at myself for making dumb moves, and Para sort of knows that im a drunk Aussie, who knows when it is time to act responsibly....... I mean, i have sort of a moral obligation to make new players feel welcome, to keep the peace in a room as much as possible, and to try and set a good example, but hey, life is meant to be a whole lot of fun intertwined with serious moments, and i do not think anyone remotely sensible would be-grudge you some moments of light-hearted swearing.

Only my 2C worth, and i know that in Australia, our culture is sort of a bit more laid-back than others, and swearing is a term of endearment Down Under; however, i know that also other cultures would frown upon what i consider fun, so i do try and tone it down in front of peeps who do not really know me, or my history.......
Whew!

:-)

ty .. as my life calms down some may just host some games.

jwd

Big Will E Style
RAW Dogger

Post by Big Will E Style » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Lux Llama wrote:This is a serious question for the mods.

I have an ongoing joke with another player where we imply that we have had intimate relations with each other's mothers. Often this is expressed upon entering a room...not out of anger or as a response to game play. After the exchange "hi ...how are you's" and normal conversation takes place.

How would a mod in the room react to this? How would a mod react if this was reported as "foul language" or "abuse" by a third party?

thanks.

edited for spelling.
This actually got me banned my first time around. I was joking with Micella and called her a "sloot" and apparently appalled some cry babies who took it as me degrading her and then cried to to moderators. Micella even tried to defend me but I guess it was my behavior over time that got me banned and not that specific instance (complete BS).

So I recommend being careful when joking with someone cause a lot of people can't take jokes or refuse to.

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:18 pm

jwd wrote:Now wait wait wait just one god damned minute..

Nim's a MOD????
I'm as surprised as you are.

FeliThePhoenix
Luxer

Post by FeliThePhoenix » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:31 am

What about racism?
Been confronted this week with the ultimate newbee (no ohter name, less than 10 games), playing as if there was an asshaters-award - well i suggest he/she doesn't know it better for the moment - and after "making friends" and being killed accusing EVERYONE in the room for teaming ... (lol)

... and trying to insult another player with a spanish nickname with the following statements:
"youre mother does the work in my house - ... - ... it's always the brown people that does the work"
That's discriminating and racistic and made me send a report for the first time ever!

But I found no warning on his account - until now! Maybe it will appear at the end of the week - I dont know.

Newbee or not - I really dont like playing with people like that. We're an international community and EVERY member should respect that. Otherwise we don't need him/her around in this "relaxing zone".

As a matter of fact - though I accept the attempt to keep the rooms "kiddy-aprooved" - I have no problems with "drugs-chat" or swearing - but i really dont want to play with people insulting other players or me on this low level of communication and mind.

If things like that continue and come to be the new style than i'm gonna quit.

I really enjoy this game for

1 - nice time with
2 - nice people and
3 - nice 'n' funny chat
4 - ... and sometimes winning - lol - very rare moments. ':D'

The youngster who think its a boomboom-game are annoying. OK - they will learn about the social charakter of this game (hope so) like i did. In the beginning i played like them and some established players really kicked my ass. After learning I had a lot of fun with them although they continued to kick me in the ass - because of their strategy - not as an educational treatment.
'8)'

If I do a move that doesn't bring me advantage and screws another players game I accept to be called "a fuckin' idiot" - no problem. But I dont wanna read things like "fascistic austrian" or stupidity like "brown people do the work" - even if the insult means another player.

PS: Please excuse if there are some anglicism or wrong spelling - english is not my natural born language.

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:38 am

FeliThePhoenix wrote:What about racism?
Rule three for online play

3. Any 'hate speech' which attacks or insults a group of people based on their skin color, race, religion, sex, nationality, or sexual orientation is strictly prohibited. It doesn't matter if you are "joking", this will get you banned. This includes your winning message.