Disconnect while apps waits in background

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
skyfisher@mac.com

Disconnect while apps waits in background

Post by skyfisher@mac.com » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:48 pm

My brother and I were playing Lux between our offices. We found that if you put the app in the background and leave it there long enough (not sure exactly how long) then come back to take a turn Lux usually reports that the connection has been lost and consequently the game must be terminated.

We were hoping we could enjoy ongoing games through the day by making turns as we had free moments during our busy work days. In order to do this we need to be able to leave the application in the back ground most of the time. I wonder if there might a way to keep the connection even though the app is in the background or minimized to the dock. Or allow a reconnect and a person to continue playing the game they were a part of before the disconnect.

Tom Maughan
(Skyfisher)

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:19 pm

There are 2 possible causes for this:
1. Sometime while Lux was in the background one of you lost your internet connection (even for a small amount of time). This would break the connection and it would require lots of effort to restore the connection.
2. The TCP connection just timed out because there was a long time without anything being sent back and forth. I could solve this by enabling keep-alive on the socket, which is meant for just this purpose.

So in the next version I will make the sockets have keep-alive and hopefully that will solve your problem.