New idea to solve "bots first or not" dillema

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.

New idea to solve "bots first or not" dillema

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:33 pm

To solve the sometimes hard feeling among some players when i comes to the problem if one should play bots firts or not Sia came up with an idea to solve the problem.

Before the game begins the host should give the players a choice between the following alternativs:

"Anything goes" - Players can attack whoever they want with no hard feelings

"Bots first" - Players should awoid attacking each other and take out the AI-playes first.

"Bots by income" - All players should attack the AI-players according to thier income.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:36 pm

Why can't i use my Nickname when i'm posting here.

Well jadePathMan did the previous post

vonibot
Lux Addict

Brilliant Idea

Post by vonibot » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:52 pm

This is a great idea.

I wholeheartedly endorse this and will encourage it.

Let us hope this ends much bickering on the matter.
Cheers,
vonibot

guest-ahpo

Post by guest-ahpo » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:55 pm

:twisted:

do unto others as you would have them do unto yourself

Pi
Luxer

Post by Pi » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:17 pm

I sympathize with you all. There is a strategic problem here though. Although I agree that it is best to take bots out first if possible, you can't let another player keep an extraordinary income while battling bots and still think you can win.

Yesterday, I played with Sia on Power of Hex. 555 income. We agreed to take out bots first. His side of the board was without challenge, the bots built up on my side. I did not complain. But I did run through Sia twice, minimizing his income while I was working on taking out the bots.

There is no good option here. You must play this game with the idea that anyone can attack you, and fortify your position accordingly. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

If yesterday's game had been against dB(dreadbeard) and not Sia, my strategy would have been different. I would have had to constantly pay attention to dB instead of the bots.

So while agreements, truces, and other arrangements seem favorable, it should all be taken with a grain of salt. This is a game and the goal is to win. Work on your strategy accordingly. And like Vonibot has decided, don't play with people who break your similar values if it makes you upset. It is not worth it!

Good luck and happy luxing!

:D

JadePathMan
Lux Newbie

Post by JadePathMan » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:46 pm

That's right Pi. But this way you can make it clear in the begining that it's a "anything goes" game. This may nobody will get upset when someone kills someone befora a bot.

Or all can agree to take out bots first. You all know my position in this.

//JPM

Aha you have to log in first

Sir Holo

Post by Sir Holo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:25 pm

I think not knowing exactly what others will do is one of the subtle aspects of the game that keeps it interesting. The last thing I want is to run through the same script with everyone every time we play. (e.g., Bots always first.) People remember how others play, so reputation is important. That's why bots usually go first – they have no memory. It's the dynamic of uncertanity that draws one in. A player must consider the consequences of his/her actions. Not just for that game, but for ALL games.

Get a bad reputation and you will have trouble lasting long in any game. On the flip side, being impeccably generous and insisting on bots always first will get you hammered as well. And anyway, when someone takes unfair advantage of someone, all the others usually get a lick or two in. Great opportunity to expand a little, eh?

And, in the end, maybe one day we will all learn that it is simply better to get along, and to put an end to war. Why, once the bots are gone, we could have a game that went on forever! Just imagine! The squirrels would dance while the bunnies had lollipops. And then maybe someone would get tired of that and clobber all of you pacifist weenies. Long live Lux!