Highest ranked hosts

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
RogueMonk
Lux Addict

Re: Highest ranked hosts

Post by RogueMonk » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:49 pm

/me stops consuming Shockandawe.

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:49 pm

Shockandawe wrote:Again.

Ever bought a product that you didn't like?

What do you do?

You stop consuming it.
Lux is more akin to moldy bread. You still want to eat the bread but you have to delicately pick off the mold to keep the bread fresh.

You're being too black and white, Shock.

Symbiosis
Lux Solicitor

Post by Symbiosis » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:23 pm

RogueMonk wrote:/me stops consuming Shockandawe.
trollPoints++;

RogueMonk
Lux Addict

Post by RogueMonk » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:27 am

Symbiosis wrote:
RogueMonk wrote:/me stops consuming Shockandawe.
trollPoints++;
he,he - ya, I guess

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:40 am

kitty on catnip wrote:Lux is more akin to moldy bread. You still want to eat the bread but you have to delicately pick off the mold to keep the bread fresh.

You're being too black and white, Shock.
:smt044

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Thu May 05, 2016 8:23 am

Again I would like to take this time and call for dustin to change the shuffle to work during the entire week.

It is beyond aggravating expecting veteran players to play with suicide bombers or other mentally incompetent or deficient players who can't communicate properly. I get not everyone enjoys my wry sarcastic sense of humor (ala Lechuckk last night)

dustin wrote:It was found that allowing high-ranked during the early week could cause people who just played there to get out of whack with high raws and then nobody else could get into the games.

That's why it was limited to the weekend, once time has been given for raws to shake-out over the week.

I find this logic and reasoning to be flawed. :smt096 I do not think you have truly tested this out or let the community decide what it wants. Many players over the years have called for or debated the flaws in the rankings/RaW system as they occurred and you have turned a blind eye or deaf ears to most of them. In fact you sometimes seemed to do the precise opposite of what the community was asking you for. Can you blame the players for leaving or losing their interest in the game? They want to COMPETE! :trophy The RaW grows during the week regardless of who plays; by friday you are lucky now if you have 6 players over the 1000 RaW ceiling. (lick those RaW floors you luxtopian serfs!) In the past just a few years prior in fact the list was over 50+ players on friday that would have over 1000 pts of shinny fake magic internet points. I enjoy the competitive spirit of luxtopia, I always have. At 1st I honestly didn't even know about a "rankings page" until about 6000 games in. Then about another 5-6K games in before I even bothered to check the rankings pages. Honestly my fav sn was ~Q~ because I would never see the raw results at the end of the game. Nor did I really care... It was great! the '~' s threw off something in the lux database where in my display results when matches ended it would show nothing at all to me. ' 0 ' All the way down! The RaW was still going up or down I just didn't care about then and really not so hip on it now honestly. :llama
just as an experiment for a fortnight would you please turn shuffle on or maybe the whole month? When you do please be sure to ADVERTISE it in the lux news letter to let all the consumers of luxtopia know that you will try a new direction to make players care a lot more about 1st place and a lot less about HK'ing or suiciding the player who popped their inc last round. OR THAT 1 GAME WHEN ASIA WAS MINE!!!! ALL MINE!!!! THEN THE AZZHAT STRUCK!!! leading to multiple bans for targeting and griefing. Please just try something or listen to any other good ideas from the rest of what is left of luxtopia.

thanX

NaraQ :smt084

p.s. could you also allow hosts to choose to set cycle to equal 5? Like it would only keep the winner from the last game and then for example if the host was over 11 it would dump the 5 players who lost and pick or let in the 5 new or waiting players plus the winner from last game. :panic:

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Thu May 05, 2016 3:55 pm

I can understand your frustration in watching things devolve to their current state. An ever shrinking player base is no fun to be a part of and greatly effects everyone.

Having said that introducing Cycle and disabling Highest Ranked during the week is easily one of the best changes/additions ever made to the game.

Players have also been behaving the same way since before these changes were ever introduced and they will continue to do so until online Lux no longer exists.

The thing is... no amount of ideas is going to change the fact that the online Lux group of players will not ever return to the numbers seen in the past. There isn't going to be a meaningful amount of people joining at this point. Maybe a handful here or there if you're lucky. Lux is what it is.

Choosing who you play with is, largely, no longer a luxury that exists.

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Fri May 06, 2016 5:54 am

Not all of us share your pessimistic appraisal of the situation in luxtopia atm. I still believe or have hope that lux can grow back to what it once was or who knows perhaps even surpass what it was before. again, luxury of not being HK'ed or Azzhatted all week? Yea why bother with rules or expect players to play to win? So the mods are just all going to pop in once a week or once every few months and continue to not really care or do anything to change the tragic state of luxtopia? :evil:

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Fri May 06, 2016 10:07 am

Lux has been on Steam now for almost a year.

Lux was also offered in a Humble Bundle, which thousands of people purchased yet your number of players has not meaningfully increased. Offering the game in the largest store and nearly giving it away for charity have maximized exposure for Lux.

There is a difference between being pessimistic and realistic.

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Sun May 08, 2016 10:15 am

shock, you seem to be the type of person that will sit in the backseat of the car when there is a flat tire or other break down. Instead of getting out and lifting a finger to help, you would sit in the comfort of the back seat 'supervising' as the other passengers all do their part to try to help or otherwise get things moving again. You don't even play online games anymore or suggest anything to correct fix or otherwise repair things in luxtopia. :panic:

Weep - Lay there and drown

If you didn't come here to play or otherwise help lux to glow again then please just stick your head back under the sand dunes while the rest of luxtopia tries to get back to silly fun!
:llama :globe :scooter :llama

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Sun May 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Good luck revitalizing Lux :smt023
But Shock is probably right that the priority probably shouldn't be about ranked vs shuffle when you're lucky finding 6 total players at a time. When/if rooms are averaging 10+ players consistently this might be an issue worth revisiting

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Sun May 08, 2016 4:17 pm

The thing you don't realize is, as I've said time and time again, the low player population is the result of something you cannot fix.

The large majority of players haven't left because of the ranking system or bugs or small features. You want that to be the case because it's something that you can change. That there is just a huge number of people waiting for small changes until they come flooding back is not reality.

They have left for the same reason people always leave an old game. Eventually they don't find entertainment in doing the exact same thing every week. I don't play because the game itself doesn't offer anything for me anymore.

You are, unfortunately, tilting at windmills.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Sun May 08, 2016 6:54 pm

It's not the same genre as the games that die. It's a classic game. Wouldn't your argument hold true for chess or bridge, Shock? Then again, maybe the game isn't all that. I think it is though.

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Sun May 08, 2016 7:37 pm

Risk iteslf? No probably not.

The version of Risk that is Lux? Absolutely.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Sun May 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Probably not what? Absolutely what? I am a little confused. sorry.

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Sun May 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Lux is a Risk clone. Not Risk itself. It's simply a place to play it.

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Sun May 08, 2016 9:49 pm

The computer gaming world of 2016 <> the computer gaming world of 2004.... How many other games from over ten years old are still kicking? We're kinda arguing about a DNR for a centenarian....

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Sun May 08, 2016 11:34 pm

n00less cluebie wrote:The computer gaming world of 2016 <> the computer gaming world of 2004.... How many other games from over ten years old are still kicking? We're kinda arguing about a DNR for a centenarian....
Essentially yes.

Big Will E Style
RAW Dogger

Post by Big Will E Style » Mon May 09, 2016 1:10 am

Here is the confusing thing, why are there people here who keep saying the game is dead and boring and old yet they're still here? Are you here for the community?

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon May 09, 2016 6:50 am

Yes. I'm here to interact with the friends I made over the past eight years. Just like we don't abandon Grandma when she's gone to the nursing home. She may have Alzheimer's--repeating the same stories, believing it's still 1950 (read 2006), and may not be as spry as she was when we were younger but she's still our Nana, and so we still visit.

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Mon May 09, 2016 7:29 am

This sunday we had 2 FH bio hosts going, another third host with 3 or so players, with a near FH in motm and a few romans online at the same time. I think we'd get even more players back or to stick around if lux would let hosts set shuffle or cycle during the week as they wish. It would help to sort or seperate the azzhats from the veteran players imo. Games Friday-Sunday usually play much differently than games in bio that are played after the chase until Thursday. Glad to see a mod or two pop into lux this sunday for a change, can something be done about the rampant griefing/targeting that happens in bio now a daze? :evil:

lux isn't dead yet but it is withering/dying when it just needs some TLC to be revitalized or otherwise repaired to regrow and expand the player pool. I suppose I just need to remind myself of the glacial pace of change in luxtopia. :?

If dustin would just be a smidge more present or attentive to online luxtopia that would be super cool but I guess the thrill of luxtopia isn't appealing to lord quasar as are his new or other pursuits. As far as the old folks home comparision clown; nana can't be repainted, recoded or otherwise fundamentally altered to make it a new beast or creature, Lux can.

:scooter :globe

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon May 09, 2016 7:57 am

I use the metaphor because Nana taught me how to play this game and sure maybe there ARE still moments of brilliance where she shows why she was once the champ, but when I show up into a Bio room it's like when she pees into her pudding cup....

And maybe there IS technology to turn Nana into a Cyborg that can live forever, and maybe we're just deluding ourselves.