Highest ranked hosts

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Naraku
Lux Demon

Highest ranked hosts

Post by Naraku » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:44 am

Why are no hosts during the week that are allowed to sort players by the highest ranked throughout the week? The chase use to be fun competitive & lead to multiple full house hosts on a variety of maps. I would think that by sorting out the veteran's from n00b players it would lead to less stress all around & help to encourage everyone to play on the maps they like with the players they enjoy fighting against. I do think your reason for not allowing the host to decide IF they want to host a game for highest ranked players during the entire month is incorrect dustin. Please let the players of lux decide how they want to host games. Jesterme's idea of allowing a designated host for new players & veterans deserves consideration or at least test this out for a week or three & let's see how it goes. Anyone can host online games with the settings they want except for this one. I am guessing you believe it will lead to the same 6 luxers playing in every game? I don't think that will happen or see it unfolding like that. Has this been tested or done in the past? I know it's such a scandal to mention, chat or whisper about raw, or the statistic of the Bio map % being allowed to eclipse almost all other maps (where are we at now 85%?); Please at least consider or allow for some sort of test host.
I don't think or want every host to be highest ranked maybe just 1 classic host, 1 MotM & 1 bio host to see how it would go? If we're trying to increase the pool of competitive players every week then you should at least talk about or discuss this idea with everyone if not in fact *gasp* try something different. Given the glacial speed that things seem to move in luxtopia maybe by 2017 someone will figure out a way to improve the realm of luxtopia for all...
:globe

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Re: Highest ranked hosts

Post by Shockandawe » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:01 pm

I can't recall the exact reasoning, but it was a player decision to move away from highest ranked during the week a long time ago.

I will do a quick search when I get a minute.

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:48 pm

Naraku wrote:... I do think your reason for not allowing the host to decide IF they want to host a game for highest ranked players during the entire month is incorrect dustin. Please let the players of lux decide how they want to host games.
Are you saying that YOU are being prevented from hosting a highest ranked room?

To my knowledge, no such policy was ever implemented. It WAS decided that the Sillysoft-hosted rooms would be shuffle during the week, and then dustin would change some to ranked on the weekend. Makes sense to me to be less exclusive when the pool of players got smaller.

I could be wrong, but I think you can host any kind of game you like, any time you like.

Big Will E Style
RAW Dogger

Post by Big Will E Style » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:39 pm

Highest ranked only works on the weekend to prevent people who can't play every day of the week to be punished. So they have Sunday through Friday to get RAW and then everyone can battle it out during the weekend.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:49 pm

Highest-ranked rooms revert to cycle during the week. Regardless of who hosts them.

It was found that allowing high-ranked during the early week could cause people who just played there to get out of whack with high raws and then nobody else could get into the games.

That's why it was limited to the weekend, once time has been given for raws to shake-out over the week.

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:19 pm

yeah good thing nobody is artificially inflating their RAW

that would be a problem

bullet dodged

:torch:

Deep Blue
Lux Addict

Post by Deep Blue » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:44 am

so best not to play all week and let others mine the raw show up in the weekend and win (if possible)? :hmm:

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:49 am

So I was wrong - I sit corrected. My apologies to Naraku.

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:30 am

Deep Blue wrote:so best not to play all week and let others mine the raw show up in the weekend and win (if possible)? :hmm:
Because that wouldn't ever happen if highest ranked worked all week right?

Deep Blue
Lux Addict

Post by Deep Blue » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:08 am

The chase starts Monday. I think it is unfair that you can just get in one game and jump 200 raw, while others have been working all week. For a lousy 40 a game.

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:53 am

Deep Blue wrote:The chase starts Monday. I think it is unfair that you can just get in one game and jump 200 raw, while others have been working all week. For a lousy 40 a game.
So then suggest that the maximum RAW gain and loss needs a cap.

Big Will E Style
RAW Dogger

Post by Big Will E Style » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:37 am

It's not unfair because anyone can do it. Anyone can game the system and maximize their RAW by determining when and who they play. But not everyone can play 200 games a week. That's why it's in place.

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:00 pm

dustin wrote: It was found that allowing high-ranked during the early week could cause people who just played there to get out of whack with high raws and then nobody else could get into the games.

That's why it was limited to the weekend, once time has been given for raws to shake-out over the week.
So for 1 & 1/2 days of the week there is a chase & the other 5 & 1/2 are for asshating & 1/2 killing? My argument is that I think that the Highest ranked on during the week will lead to good players playing with good players & the asshats would have to go to another bio ghetto where they can asshat each other all night & day long while the great players of lux are competing once again on multiple maps.

Read my fingers very carefully dustin, PLEASE TURN OFF OR DIAL DOWN ANY RAW BONUSES FOR MOTM!

At most the bonus should be 125% over a normal win & honestly I prefer that there would be no raw bonus anymore for the MotM. I know it was intended to reward players for branching out and playing new maps but that's not how it worked out in game/rankings wise. Getting out of whack with high raws? if that's your reason you need to rethink it or turn off the MotM bonus as it is inflating raw rather quickly during the sunday/Monday games during the start of the week. Plus last week's chase was also decided on the MotM host for a change instead of a bio host. My intention is to try to revive a competitive chase spirit again not split the community into splinters.

I think in the past it's never really been a problem for great players to catch up in the chase even if they can only game on Saturday or sunday; if they don't have much of life outside of lux ;) I really don't think or forsee that leaving the highest ranked on all week would be a bad thing. It is my hope that it will lead to more players playing to win and not fork over their most hated arch in the game with them. Alternatively dustin could free the cycle to shut out all the losers from the last game so that only the winner continues on with 5 new players if there are any waiting to get in. Giving players another incentive to win the game & moving lux into a more fun/happy place, I hope.

:lincoln: :ham :globe

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:27 pm

Not all good players can play all week. So should they be relegated to playing with people that they don't want to play with?

RAW is far too fluid during the early parts of the week to consider pushing a highest rank setting. The chase has never been won on a Wednesday, nor should it.

What you are suggesting also does the opposite of what you think. It creates a skew in the RAW scores and thus keeps people who want to keep playing from doing so because they can hit a point where there is nothing to gain much faster than they would during cycle play.

Monday through Friday is all about setting up for the weekend.

Everything you're discussing has been brought up many times over the years. Cycle is the right choice during the week. If it hadn't been para wouldn't have used it.

I do like the irony of you calling for a smaller MOTM raw bonus when you so willingly abused it in the past.

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:39 pm

Shockandawe wrote:

I do like the irony of you calling for a smaller MOTM raw bonus when you so willingly abused it in the past.
I have always asked dustin to kill or turn off the MotW bonus in public forum posts & via Pm's or emails. I didn't abuse anything in the past. Did I play MotW when Dustin spiked the raw bonus? Sure did. I didn't make the bonus, make dustin raise it, or force any player to play on MotW/MotM. Just go back under the bridge you've crawled away from Shock. :twisted:

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:02 pm

Naraku wrote:
Shockandawe wrote:

I have always asked dustin to kill or turn off the MotW bonus in public forum posts & via Pm's or emails. I didn't abuse anything in the past. Did I play MotW when Dustin spiked the raw bonus? Sure did. I didn't make the bonus, make dustin raise it, or force any player to play on MotW/MotM. Just go back under the bridge you've crawled away from Shock. :twisted:
You have?

Far as I can tell you went back and deleted nearly every post you've made in the past.

Now what could have possibly caused you to do that.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:13 pm

P.S. You don't need to include quotes in your response if the person you are quoting is directly above you.

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:10 pm

It does make his posts appear less curt though, doesn't it?

Owned
Lux Veteran
Location: Lair of Bane watching Schro put Symbi into tight attire

Post by Owned » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:16 pm

For the most part, there is only one room running at a time. If highest ranked is allowed during the week, what happens to that 7th guy without enough raw? Does he sit there and hope that someone leaves? Not everyone plays for raw and they shouldn't be forced to.

If Lux were flourishing, highest ranked during the week could work. However, highest ranked in itself serves to split the community and you say you don't want that.

All in all, I am against an elite 6 setup where only these 6 players play to boost their raw Monday through Sunday. :smt102

Big Will E Style
RAW Dogger

Post by Big Will E Style » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:18 pm

Dangerous Beans wrote:P.S. You don't need to include quotes in your response if the person you are quoting is directly above you.
Amen 8)

Big Will E Style
RAW Dogger

Post by Big Will E Style » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:21 pm

The week is for friendly competition among all players. The weekend is for the chase. I have no problem with highest ranked being only a short period. It was originally put in place so people don't come in on Sunday morning and steal RAW from all of the people who took all week to build it. Then as mentioned above, it was only allowed on late Friday through chase Sunday to counter it a little bit so that people weren't hoarding RAW by playing tons of games against other players who also have played all week. I believe it's now a good balance.

Regarding the MOTM, I absolutely agree that it's dictating weekly RAW and hurting the players who don't care about playing a new map all the time.

Please dial this back, Dustin.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:33 pm

Some movement towards your desire Nara: I've altered highest-raw so it kicks in 12 hours earlier now. It starts taking effect at Friday at 6am eastern time.

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:40 pm

Thank you for listening and I hope this makes lux more competitive than it has been recently in a happy/goodsportsmanship like way.

So what about the MotM bonus? any word or movement there? Is there any way that this could be changed? also I really do not like that the MotM hosts do not give any - RaW loss in the games. Please do not nerf the RaW further! Pretty Please! :smt113

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:19 pm

dustin wrote:Some movement towards your desire Nara: I've altered highest-raw so it kicks in 12 hours earlier now. It starts taking effect at Friday at 6am eastern time.
It's 3:20 pm right now EST and it's still on cycle , not highest ranked.

h0b0
Luxer

Post by h0b0 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:59 pm

@dustin,

There seems to be something wrong with cycle.

Last game, I came 3rd. And the next game I was guested (not GO) yet the player who came 6th was in. I also had more raw than 6th, so it wasn't a ranked thing either.

I've noticed things like this in Kitty's room the last couple of days so thought it was just his host, however this is in Bio-C.

Room is set to cycle.
Last edited by h0b0 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:01 pm

h0b0 wrote:@dustin,

There seems to be something wrong with cycle.

Last game, I came 3rd. And the next game I was guested (not GO) yet the player who came 6th was in.

I've noticed things like this in Kitty's room the last couple of days so thought it was just his host, however this is in Bio-C. Room is set to cycle.
This is true. I have witnessed these peculiarities myself as well. From at least 3 different hosts now. And yes, the rooms are set to cycle.

mnemosyne
titaness

Post by mnemosyne » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:05 pm

/me seconds that motion (@ 5:57 p.m.)! :hmm:

the lux plebs need moooooar predictability! :yoda

that, and the cycle setting seems to be broken, works more like random or shuffle (/me just submitted in game report about the same so that you can see it happen in one particular game) . . .

tgif!

m

:catrun

update: some of the rooms switched over to ranked at 6 p.m. est (while i was typing this), but message above indicated that ranked rooms would take effect 12 hours earlier at 6 a.m. est.

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:24 pm

Oh the horror. :panic:

mnemosyne
titaness

Post by mnemosyne » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:40 pm

and when were we going to start playing again, your clownishness? haven't you heard; its all hands on deck time for lux! too bad there isn't a ranking system for the forums . . . you would easily be in the top 5 :smt110

/me honks nim's bulbous nose . . . :curtsey ty, tyvm!

m

:catrun

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:04 pm

Looks like when I moved the highest ranked setting forward by 12 hours I missed some bits. SO there may have been bugs during those 12 hours (friday daytime). I've corrected the bits now, so it should be working properly from here on.