This is why I like Bio

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
crazyjeff
Luxer

Re: This is why I like Bio

Post by crazyjeff » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:47 pm

to my bro , love the players all whom I also think of as good friends,and love the bio mao well said see you in the rooms :D

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Sun May 01, 2016 9:49 pm

Big Will E Style wrote:Bio requires similar strategy as classic, but is more income-based while Classic is card-based (depending on the settings). Chess and Checkers are two completely different games with similar looking platforms.
Of course the strategies are going to be similar due to the same mechanism of gameplay, they are both Risk (err I mean Lux). Bio just requires less strategic planning to be successful- which is where my analogy comes from...

Big Will E Style
RAW Dogger

Post by Big Will E Style » Mon May 02, 2016 12:00 am

Does bio require less strategy or is it easier to win due to the lack of strategic players? I feel bio requires the same amount, but different types of strategy.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Mon May 02, 2016 12:45 am

I would say both, the current players don't care much about improving their strategy. But you have to ask what made this trend occur. I say it is largely due to the bio map being played. A lot of moves in classic that were required to win a game do not apply in bio (saving men, smart satellites, contesting weak income, locking, card killing, teleporting, etc.) - all these things are less necessary as they are in classic.

Not knowing how to do these things would drastically decrease your win % in classic, but the huge income increases make it so wasting men is not as big of a factor in bio.

C-Rex
Lux Piethrower

Post by C-Rex » Mon May 02, 2016 5:37 am

I also feel there are two different strategies (from what I remember...).

Classic requires more of "real" gaming strategy. Even if every game is different there are a number of things you can learn, understand and master. It's more about the board.

BIO is more about understanding the different players. Who will retaliate, who will snap (and when), who will steal a continent and when will someone leave an alliance and so on. This is also a strategy to master. Just a different one. The games are more unpredictable and it's more about the people.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Mon May 02, 2016 4:12 pm

Perhaps the players being more important than the map is why there is such a huge trend of asshats in bio.

"I attacked Player B to teach him he won't win games if he attacks me."

I really don't see how this is a positive aspect. I would much rather play the game than play assuming a certain player will make a certain move such as not hitting a continent when he should in order to maintain relations in future games.

Owned
Lux Veteran
Location: Lair of Bane watching Schro put Symbi into tight attire

Post by Owned » Mon May 02, 2016 9:31 pm

C-Rex brings up a Lux politics of sorts. Personally I very much dislike politics and drama, so I try to shy away from them. Bio as it is now is more political because most times every player can drastically affect another. Therefore I don't have much fun in Bio and I tend not to play it. However, there is skill to politics albeit different from the skill we are used to (or maybe not) when talking about risk(-clones).

Here is a recent thread about Lux Politics.

PS: Politics (at least used to) have a large impact on the chase as well. So it isn't unique to Bio, but as for maps/game types Bio stands out to me.

C-Rex
Lux Piethrower

Post by C-Rex » Tue May 03, 2016 7:44 pm

@Beans - I never said it was a positive aspect.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Tue May 03, 2016 8:11 pm

Then my most sincerest apology for assuming, my genteel Rexxxy.