The role Tournaments could play in Lluxtopia.

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison

The role Tournaments could play in Lluxtopia.

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:13 pm

In prep for the job that never was, Dustin and I did a lot of (gasp) thinking with our brains. I was excited to perform the FUN side of my Duties. So I put this out to the community so the idea won't be wasted.

Most players agree that the competitive aspect of LLux is Llagging. I see regular tournaments as a way to introduce a corner of Lluxtopia that will entice the most serious players to join.

Some of you asked why a extremely average LLuxer Llike the Llama was going to host games. What about setting? What about ....more settings? I joked about "LLuxpong". But I actually thought this out quite a bit.

It's simple. All the various tournament Lleaders need in order to be a good host is to agree with the mission and have good reading comprehension. IN the CASTLES thread alone there is a lot written by kitty and others about how to create a play structure that rewards skill above the probability that each player would win by luck. When I said "Skilled tournaments" this is what I meant. Opinions about game setting from the players who care the most about them are also abundant.

The biggest obstacle for having big "T" tournaments vs. just a series of games is time. The mods have day jobs. Family. a proper tournament takes time. I don't know how much time Dustin has to spend on tournaments on top of everything else.

I have 2 suggestions about this.

1. Design a tournament that happens regularly, for only a few days at a time, in stages. I envisioned an "Around the World" tournament. It would serve the purpose of encouraging play on various NON BIO'D maps. ( I llove bio. but Bio we already have. ) There could be a global graphic keeping track of which player wins which section of the globe. The goal is to take over the world. Each section would consist of the most balanced maps from a certain country or group of countries. Again, the most important part of all of this is to introduce a regular or semi regular but ongoing aspect to Llux that will ease the frustrations of players that want a solid competitive structure, and keep kvetching and interpersonal fighting down in the eternal "fun" vs "skill" war. I think there is room for both.

2. Who will run these regular or semi regular tournaments? I suggest anyone who is willing, capable, and has the time. I suggest that until our numbers grow and a giving spirit returns, tournament leaders submit a detailed plan to dustin, and then get some material reward. A gift card, a case of peanut butter, a low interest loan....something in exchange for the value of the time being put in. Material reward is the best way to have a constant line of tournament lleaders. I think if Tournaments are done well and regularly it will add a lot of value to the online gaming experience.

What say the rest of you?

:globe

guillerme
Lux Addict

Re: The role Tournaments could play in Lluxtopia.

Post by guillerme » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:10 pm

I would like to see kitty running a tourney.
Also Naraku could run a nice one.
/guillerme thinks that it is time for some luxers to have the opportunity to show his tourney skills.

Jellicent
Lux Newbie

Post by Jellicent » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:19 am

Tournaments are definitely a fantastic way to encourage competition and showcase the best players. The logistics behind it might be a bit more complex than you're initially thinking, especially if the community grows. If some technical additions are made to the game, though, it becomes a lot easier. Good news: the tournament prize situation can be lighter on your wallet but still pretty cool :3

Experience from playing and hosting quite a lot of online tours has shown that getting two players to schedule a good time to square off can be like pulling teeth, so I can only imagine what 6 would be like (keep time zones in mind). The first feature I'd recommend is two-player Lux as option. In Risk, that's done by randomizing the countries into 3 stacks, with each player getting 1 and the final being "neutral" (1 army per country, gets no turns / additional armies / ability to attack or anything, just empty land that you still have to fight a bit for.) Players get double the usual starting amount of armies. This would be pretty cool to have regardless of tours, but it'd make organizing competitions a lot easier (pairings of two instead of six, no issues with players ganging up or suiciding, etc.).

The ability to host private games (like requiring a password to enter, to ensure the right peeps are playing each other), directly challenge another player (if two-player is possible), or just have hosts manually select players, would be helpful as well. All are cool options, but any of the three would make tour organizing a lot easier. If we're talking about long-term, forum-hosted tours, they're almost a must.

For live tours, you can probably roll without those features if the tour itself is just between 6 peeps. If it's larger, giving host the ability to select players or run private games is practically a must as well. Selecting players is probably preferable, as then peeps can still spectate. If it's private games, having somewhere to chat and organize things in real time helps a ton, so some type of community chat is recommended. I discussed IRC as a good option in my other post. Having a chat lobby directly in the game (like, where you select your game, having a general chat for anyone online) would be more intuitive, but that requires coding and more server strain, so IRC or a similar chat server is probably a simpler solution.

For prizes, a pretty nifty reward that's also free is post-bit trophies. Above the post count or beneath "Contact:", you could have small trophies like :trophy . We could even design different ones for various major tours. It's a cool competitive incentive, as it showcases your victories with each post. It's good to be selective with what tours warrant trophies, though, or else you wind up with peeps having massive 50-trophy post-bits that look awful. If there's only 1 a month or so given out, then they manage to keep their prestige and motivate competitors further. Additionally / alternatively, a hall of fame (on-site or in a sticky somewhere on the forums) would also be cool recognition for winners.

There are some pretty awesome and creative things we can do with tours depending on how possible the above sounds. I'd be happy to help with organizing stuff as well, fwiw. Feel free to shoot me a PM or whatever if you wanna bounce some ideas around ^.^

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:58 pm

guillerme wrote:I would like to see kitty running a tourney.
Also Naraku could run a nice one.
/guillerme thinks that it is time for some luxers to have the opportunity to show his tourney skills.
I don't have time in my life to run these things now.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:00 pm

Is Jellicent trolling?

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:31 am

Dollabillz wrote:I'm gonna host a classic tournament. $100+10 entry fee. Cash prizes. No trophies.
I would be down for a $10 entry fee.

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:08 am

guillerme wrote: Also Naraku could run a nice one.
Well I need a few things before I can run a tournament G.

#1 - My hosts back

#2 - Active participation/ Interest in the Roma Tournament I'm contemplating running.

#3 - Some talented person or luxer who could create a scoreboard for the month long event.

If I can get all 3 items on my checklist knocked off it would be a wonderful event/time for luxtopia I would think. :llama

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:04 pm

Dangerous Beans wrote:
Dollabillz wrote:I'm gonna host a classic tournament. $100+10 entry fee. Cash prizes. No trophies.
I would be down for a $10 entry fee.
Nah everyone just PayPal me $100 kthxbye

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:06 pm