Just catching up...

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Just catching up...

Post by The Silken Knot » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:27 pm

... and read the Moderation Log.

A 7 day sentence for threats of violence (game), but 1 month for rude behavior and personal attacks (forum)? Am I the only one who finds this a reflection of odd priorities?

But if obstinacy is a Lux crime (see controleola's ban), I may not be long for freedom myself...

:smt077

Carl Spackler
Lux Greenskeeper

Re: Just catching up...

Post by Carl Spackler » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:37 pm

Carl welcomes TSK back with a Kir Royale and some fine Northern California sinsemilla......

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:30 pm

∞ TSK sentences Carl Spackler to 10 minutes hard labor at the massage chair. ∞

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty
Location: on the playground is where i spent most of my days, chillin' all nice and relaxing all cool and

Post by Red Beard » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:34 pm

Aren't game bans delegated based upon past infraction? I'm not sure if that's the case here, but I thought it could be relevant.

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:37 pm

Perhaps you're right. Mr. Sausage tends to play in short bursts, so I didn't think of that as likely to be relevant. But I am curious... in general, and as usual.

:smt077

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:44 pm

Yes, Red Beard, regulating Lux is not done according to a set menu and depends on context. TSK may or may not be the only one since there are insufficient details for anyone to make a reasoned evaluation.

Owned
Lux Veteran
Location: Lair of Bane watching Schro put Symbi into tight attire

Post by Owned » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:18 pm

It is very hard to describe bans accurately without giving out all the details (which is unfair to whomever is banned). We use our best judgement and if anyone thinks a ban/ban length against them is unwarranted they can pm the mod squad for discussion.

Lantern
Lux Superhero

Post by Lantern » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:23 pm

To be clear... The two bans mentioned are not equal.

One is for a game ban of 7 days. The other is a forum ban for 30 days. George can still play.

(I know TSK points this out above)

I guess my thought was when I was a moderator and we discussed lengths of bans we did not make decisions that forum and game bans had to jive. At least I don't believe I did.

Plus the only people that could ban were Dustin or para. I don't believe anyone else could.

Edited to add info

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:45 pm

Yes, that jibes with my experiences as a moderator, Lanty.

But I can only remember a couple of forum suspensions in my years here, for crazy-egregious behavior (and often not even then, even for real-world bleedthrough). It seems they're becoming more common?

Lantern
Lux Superhero

Post by Lantern » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:19 am

They really should have been more common in the past. So much was deleted from the forums that likely warranted a ban.

We are responsible for what comes out of our mouths and what we type with our fingers.

There are rules that have been broken for a long time without repercussions.

Perhaps it would be best to refresh the forum/game rules at this time so everyone is reminded of what is expected of them.

Free speech is important however there has to be limits.

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:49 am

Ban SHOULD become more common, at least until people start behaving more respectfully towards each other. I agree dustin and the mods (myself included) have been too soft in the past, not wanting to seem militant... and we have let too much bad behavior go on for too long.
Lantern wrote:Free speech is important however there has to be limits.
Let's not even give people the impression that "free speech" is at issue. The "free speech" clause means you can say whatever you like in public, or in a book you write... but this website is essentially private property and belongs to Sillysoft. No "free speech" rights apply except what dustin allows.

Lantern
Lux Superhero

Post by Lantern » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:52 am

Point taken Aqua, I typed it up quickly and I was referring more to the point of not making sillysoft a nanny state.

I believe the chat box has filters that can be applied so certain words do not appear but dustin has not implemented those which I think is a double edged sword.

- If they were turned on then it looks like big brother
- If they are off, anyone can say what they want but there has to be consequences.

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:44 pm

Good discussion, I think.

In my opinion, the fuzziness (or at least my fuzziness) is in interpretation of Forums Rule One. It's right up front, the first rule that anyone checking will see. It seems (to me) that expressing the opinion that someone has been a bad host/player/moderator/admin is lately being treated as a de facto personal attack, and a bannable one at that. I really hope none of us identify ourselves so closely with Lux that that's true, but perhaps the rule needs a re-tool... or the banning does? ;-)
  • dustin wrote:Welcome to the Lux Forums. There are a few rules that exist here to maintain a fun and friendly atmosphere.

The Rules
    1. Posts that personally attack or insult members are not allowed. If you feel that somebody has been a bad host or player [or mod, or admin?] then you may so say, but refrain from insulting them personally. Doing so usually causes the thread to go nowhere anyway.

Note: Rule #1 also means that posts such as "Who is the worst Luxer?" are not allowed, since it can only result in insults and attacks.

Final Thoughts:
    Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and keep the Lux forums a happy place to hang out. :D

Carl Spackler
Lux Greenskeeper

Post by Carl Spackler » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:27 pm

The Silken Knot wrote:∞ TSK sentences Carl Spackler to 10 minutes hard labor at the massage chair. ∞
Carl cracks his knuckles and takes his punishment like a man.....