Please clarify reason for ban? (Winning messages)

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Re: Please clarify reason for ban? (Winning messages)

Post by GFips » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:30 am

Symbiosis wrote:Bio does suck and hurts the culture, and certainly contributed to the decline in active players (among other things).

The map doesn't do enough to reward thinking ahead, basically. RAW roulette.
Me does not disagree. But why not come and play classic games or winner-picks? Let the ones play Bio who enojoy it. Most players just play there because there is most likely a FH game running.

So many people complaining about bio, but are never seen in the classic rooms ... Try to get some games going on there. If 2-4 players are in the room others will join ... Make classic realive instead of nagging about bio. There is a separate ranking for classic with ist own raw.
What about a special day per week, where all the classic-interested players come together for some fun FH games?

Symbiosis
Lux Solicitor

Post by Symbiosis » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:41 pm

I'd make a point to come play, as long as it's not Baden's goofy 50% income increase settings

plane crazy
Lux Corporate Pilot

Post by plane crazy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:20 am

Here we go again blaming bio for the downfall of on-line lux play. :panic:

/me thinks without bio, on-line lux woulda died years ago.

Long live bio.

Find another scapegoat, jeez.

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:30 am

I dunno dude...If you're ready for the big time, I'm ready to run your campaign!

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:34 am

It's definitely not bio, but without bio, LUX would not have died. Everyone would have focused on some other small map with short game times. The monoculture monotony will always out no matter how many famines it causes. Please do your best to support map variety and help us get out of this hole.

plane crazy
Lux Corporate Pilot

Post by plane crazy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Bean, I don't wanna play other maps. I don't wanna learn new maps. Bio holds all the competitiveness I want. The bio map is different each time due to the random bio component, yet is comfortable in it's sameness. I am an older player at 57. My brain is not as quick as it once was. If I was forced to play other maps, being denied bio on the tracker, I would quit playing.

If classic or Rome or whatever was a “better” map, then more players would play it. That is called, Open Market Dynamics.

That said, I sympathize with symbiosis and others who don’t care for the bio culture. I wish they had full classic rooms to play in. But to blame the bio players for moving into the neighborhood and wrecking Lux land with our crass behavior and simplistic game is misguided finger pointing.

See, all the bio haters out there blaming bio for the downfall of on-line Lux are not living in reality. The reality is this could be the oldest on-line gaming community still playing a 15 year old PC game that has seen very change. Lux is a caveman video game platform. Greater “in the old days”, now barely afloat primarily due to unprecedented consumer demand and mega competition within the gaming marketplace for mobile app games, and Lux maps were not engineered for mobile devices.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:41 pm

you did not seek out bio deux. you just got used to it. it's a fine map, and the poor cultural dynamics are not unique to it. i believe you would quit if bio where not there, but that's not an option. my advocacy is simply that playing the same map over and and over (like with classic and RII before) is a travesty. Time for a new menu, but that's not going to happen. my focus is now on individual action, trying to persuade others to give variety a try.
cheers

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:52 pm

New maps aren't NECESSARILY better. The reason Risk WORKS, is that it was a carefully designed, FAIRLY well-balanced game, that's been tested by millions of hours of game play over years. Most maps generated by the Bio engine are unbalanced. Many of them are SO unbalanced to almost be unplayable for a significant number of players (in Classic, even someone with no continent can win with careful play; in Bio there are often up to 3 players who are GUARANTEED to lose without tremendous blunders/Game-throws by the other players) These unplayable positions often lead to moves that randomly damage one of the players who might actually have a shot, and lead to anger and frustration in a way that Classic does not.

The other maps all have their good points and bad points (some are prone to marathoning, some are prone to Bio-level imbalance) and very few lend to always providing a strategic experience for most (if not all of the) players.

Someone with better Data-mining/Risk skills than I should probably go through the maps and find those that are most playable to create a subset of "good" maps, rather than simply promoting Lux's hundreds of (mostly flawed) maps.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:43 pm

i agree on not promoting all of them, but it's easy to discern a decent map or can be found out by trying it out at a few settings. there are plenty of maps that are just fine. others are just boring. It's also boring to see the same thing over and over again. actually i don't like classic enough to play it to tell you the truth, but i do like that it has a chance for everyone if played carefully.