Can't play, firewall issues?

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
plane crazy
Lux Corporate Pilot

Can't play, firewall issues?

Post by plane crazy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:07 pm

I can't see any games on the tracker. Message says, to check firewall app to allow Lux access. Running Kaspersky and it is showing as a trusted app.???
Windows 10. Should I reload Lux? :panic:

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty
Location: on the playground is where i spent most of my days, chillin' all nice and relaxing all cool and

Re: Can't play, firewall issues?

Post by Red Beard » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:07 pm

I am having the same problem. I can't play at all and I already sent dustin a message last week. I'm running a macbook pro which I updated 10.11.6. The firewall is not turned on so it shouldn't make any difference. I haven't been able to figure it out and I haven't heard back from Dustin. I feel ya Plane, but I don't have any answers either. All of this kicked in at the same time that the forums all went down for a day.

plane crazy
Lux Corporate Pilot

Post by plane crazy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:49 am

Is this Burning man time of year? Dang.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:45 pm

Did you check the Windows 10 firewall? Open it up and set it to allow Lux access to the internet

plane crazy
Lux Corporate Pilot

Post by plane crazy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:49 pm

Windows firewall turned off, no joy. Says "all firewall activities controlled by Kaspersky". Kaspersky app shows Lux as a trusted program, yet still no connection to the tracker.

RogueMonk
Lux Addict

Post by RogueMonk » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:38 am

Not sure if you are still having the problem. But the rooms are going up and down sporadically. I have experienced an empty tracker several times the last week, then a few minutes later they are there again.

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:40 pm

I also had some issues in the past with the tracker (sillysoft rooms disappeared), but he i did not have any troubles the last days, And he says that Lux "cannot connect to the tracker" at all (that seems to be something different than the disappearing sillysoft rooms). So I assume Kaspersky Firewall is blocking connection to the tracker (port control?). To locate wheather it is really a kaspersky issue i would turn of the Kaspersky firewall for a short time and test lux (don't Forget to turn on again afterwards ;-)). Kaspersky Firewall turns off the Windows Firewall, so you have to look at Kaskersky. I am sure the trouble is somewhere in there.

I hope to see you back soon plane - you are missed!

plane crazy
Lux Corporate Pilot

Post by plane crazy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:04 pm

Turned off Kaspersky, re-booted, no joy with Lux. Same message, cannot connect to tracker, check your internet connection...yada yada.

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty
Location: on the playground is where i spent most of my days, chillin' all nice and relaxing all cool and

Post by Red Beard » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:48 pm

So I really don't know what to try to do about this. I asked Dustin where he would recommend I start looking but no dice. Maybe someone else might have some advice? Here's the message it gives me every time:

There was an error connecting to the LuxTracker.

Please check your internet connection and try again. If you have a firewall on your computer you may need to set it to allow Lux access to the internet.

Otherwise everything boots up normally. Any ideas on where i should start looking?

Note, my firewall is turned off and it's not a problem with me being connected to the internet. I did just update my macbook to 10.11.6 and it hasn't worked since. Anyone have any thoughts on where I should start investigating? Otherwise I think I may have to throw in the towel.

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:44 pm

Have you tried it on another computer/laptop? To make sure where the problem is. Your modem(settings) or you newly mac software that might switched off/on some settings after the update.

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty

Post by Red Beard » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:01 pm

Unfortunately i don't have access to another computer to do that. Thanks for the thought though PJB!

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:03 pm

Are there any other updates available for your computer in Software Update? Install them if so. Sounds like it started with the 10.11.6 update, so something system related.

Another thought: open up System Preferences and then the Network panel. On the left side do you have multiple networking options there? Potentially if you have multiple it could be trying to use the wrong one and not working. Below the list you can click the gear button and Set the Order.

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty

Post by Red Beard » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:14 pm

Here's what I've done since the not being able to play.

downloaded lux again.
checked that my firewall was off. it is.
check my network was in the correct order. They are. still no change.
upgraded java for 10.11.6
downloaded lux again.
updated flash
downloaded lux again
updated everything
Restarted my computer. Double checked all of the previous settings.

no dice so far.

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty

Post by Red Beard » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:44 pm

no a suggestion from Roguemonk, I searched through my old downloads and found a lux version from 2014 and installed it. Tracker loaded all of the rooms after I booted it up. Dustin, do you think the newest app needs tweaking? I had tried everything else suggested with out any luck. Just wanted to point this out, if it's a clue for debugging any future app updates.

Thanks for the help everyone!
-Matt

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty

Post by Red Beard » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Bah, this fix was a premature win. The tracker won't let me join with out updating to a more current version of the game. Rock, meet your new friend hard place. Also, I should mention that the website is now loading slower than a turtle with crutches.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:29 am

Hey, in the newest version of Lux, try loading the tracker. After it not working, use the Online menu Report a Bug menu command. that will send me your log file which might have a clue

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty

Post by Red Beard » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Done. Thanks Dusty.

RogueMonk
Lux Addict

Post by RogueMonk » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:34 pm

Red Beard - check your pm.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:52 pm

I fixed a bug in Lux that was causing this. Please download version 6.59 from here and it should be working again:

http://sillysoft.net/lux/download/

plane crazy
Lux Corporate Pilot

Post by plane crazy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:57 am

Winner! Thanks, the new version worked for me.

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty

Post by Red Beard » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:02 pm

Working like a charm now. Thanks for the fix!