Realistic country shapes

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
AJ
Luxer

Realistic country shapes

Post by AJ » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:46 pm

Hi Dustin, a while back I emailed you about possible algorithms for producing countries that are shaped more like real-world continents and countries. If you recall, I mentioned fractal landscape generation. I also wrote some experimental programs to play with the possible options.

Anyway, I was wondering if you are still interested in the idea, as you have implemented almost all the other suggestions I made in that email. If so, perhaps you would be interested in isolating the map generating part of the code and letting me have a play with it (so that if I do come up with something good, you would actually be able to use it).

Let me know.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:56 am

The answer is yes. I am very interested in improving the world generation aspect of Lux. The code is pretty isolated, being lumped into a single class. As well, most of the time Lux reads in boards from files (that it has previously saved), so any program could write out a board file and have Lux use it.

Since I have AJ's email I'm going to continue this conversation off of this board, but if anyone else out there is interested in this then please contact me or post something here.

peace,
dustin