port forwarding

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
paul

port forwarding

Post by paul » Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:50 am

I just switched from a static IP network to a dynamic IP network and now I can't host games anymore. The reason is that my IP number keeps changing within my network, and the router only allows port forwarding to be set up for a specific IP address.

This is kind of a bummer....do you think in the future you could use a different way to communicate between computers? I don't know much about this, but I bet there would be more games hosted if this hurdle was not there.

I also wonder about the security of having that port open all the time...and yes, it's too much hassle to get into the router every time and mess with the ports.

This IP stuff is a headache from start to finish...

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:09 pm

Lux uses standard internet sockets to communicate over the network. So it's very unlikely that this will change. The problem with port forwarding occurs for all online games, not just Lux.

My one suggestion would be to try setting your network preferences to 'Using DHCP with a manual IP address'. (Assuming your using DHCP). This way you could specify your IP address and it wouldn't change. Of course this is dependent on your setup and such.

peace,
dustin

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:20 pm

Also I thought I should add that Lux uses port 6619. So in order to host a game and have people be able to join it you must ensure that port 6619 is reachable through any firewall or router you have set up.