game freeze

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
kstone34
Lux Newbie

game freeze

Post by kstone34 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:18 pm

my game freezes sometimes. actually about 1 in 5 games just stops working all of a sudden. now i have a new twist where the game continues to run (sounds & all) but the screen doesn't change until a player's turn is over. then the new countries and army strength is visible. how can i fix this?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:12 am

What are the details of your system? Are you playing single or multi-player? Can you post a log file after it happens? (Found in the Lux folder Support/log.txt)

Synnical77
Luxer

Post by Synnical77 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:53 pm

I also have this problem when I'm hosting. About every 3 games or so the game will all of a sudden freeze mid game. It will stay frozen for about 2 minutes or so and then it will resume (although some people end up missing their turns - including myself).

Specifics:

I used to play this game a bunch back Pre-March. Never had a problem. I just came back (and installed the newest update of course) and started encountering this problem.

Just this last time I noticed something very weird. Firefox was no longer able to connect to any websites at the same time this was happening although other tools still worked (like MSN and Internet explorer).

Each time this has happened I have waited in hopes that the game would resume, which it has everytime. Most people connected to me usually leave but some people do still stay connected (and ask if any one else had lag).

[Running on Windows XP, AMD 2100+, 1024 Ram, Geforce FX 5900 XT]

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:36 pm

Someone once reported getting 1-2 minutes pauses while hosting and it went away after they disabled a system software they had installed called bblite (blackbox shell replacement for windows). If you have any software that seriously affects your system then try disabling it. It's also possible that pauses could be caused by your ISP.

It's possible that posting a log file after a pause would help me track it down better.

Synnical77
Luxer

Post by Synnical77 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:48 am

Alright, I just tried joining someone elses game. Played one full game just fine but during the second game I had the same "freeze" occur. I let it sit there for about 4 minutes and when it finally "unfroze" it played all the rounds that everyone else played super fast in succession. I asked and it turned out i was the only one this happened to.

As for background services running, nothing comes to mind. I play plenty of other online games without any such issues (like BF 2, Guild Wars, various web based online games and such).

I will post a log file when I host a game again.