Open letter to the Sillysoft Community, RE: personal attacks

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
magpie
Goat Avenger
Location: Riding with the League of Extraordinary Anti Goatfecking Gentlemen ...

Post by magpie » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:03 am

i would like to know what is the deal with swearing too, seams to me that it is getting worse also. (in the forums that is)

i personally don't f@cking like it, can you start to put your f@cking foot down please you p@ssies. :twisted: :smt064

jk jk jk

just a little request from your humble lux forum reader

:D

keep up the good work

:smt110

smedz
Lux Scotsman

Post by smedz » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:11 am

BL**DY F*KING RIGHT, WELL SAID YOU GREAT C@NT !

ian

Kurtz
Mouth of Madness

Post by Kurtz » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:21 pm

Sh*t...P*ss...F*ck...C*nt...C*cks*cker...M*therF*cker...and T*ts!!!!!!!

the tide

Post by the tide » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:44 pm

Smedz,

As you know, moderating 'powers' are restricted to the forums only; we like to keep the forums clean of common squabbles that sometimes tend to envelope those less capable of overcoming life's hurdles (thnx le puss :wink: ). With the drivel and personal assaults spilling into the PM domain there isn't much we as 'Mods' can do to prevent such occurrences. Just like email, Private Messaging becomes a personal issue not a public one. This helps the forum community as a whole grow and prosper, but the problem is essentially swept under the rug.

Your concern is understood. You and a friend of yours are being harassed/abused via PM. With all due respect this situation seems to be an anomaly, not the rule. Please contact one of the Mods or Dustin explaining this unusual situation so it can be discussed and dealt with privately in the Mod forum.

Which leads me to suggest that if there are situations like this that arise:
contact a mod or Dustin so we can be proactive in addressing similar situations.

Thanks
-tide

Kef
Lux Translator

Post by Kef » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:46 pm

note: make THAT an announcement

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:01 pm

smedz wrote:Recent events have me driven to enquire what the exact policy on dispute resolution is: I whole heartidly agree that filling the forums with complaints on players and their actions is thoroughly tedious...
Anyone is free to send complaints about a specific player or anything else directly to me, if you don't want it to bog up the forums. Email to lux@sillysoft.net and I'll get it.

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:11 pm

Good to know, Dustin. However have no complaints at the moment.

Muskie
Deimos Piscis

Post by Muskie » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:06 pm

WOW,, thanks Mods and Dustin,, all fish appreciate your fine work,, 8)

Funk_Dogg
Lux Newbie

Post by Funk_Dogg » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:26 pm

I agree. I often go too far. I apologize.

rage
Luxer

Post by rage » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:57 am

I don't post here precisely because of personal attacks and not wanting to be involved, but I have to tell a story about this morning.

Michelle, a moderator no less, who I have observed keep things sane and sanitary around here and respected, who has never played with me, assumed this morning when I started joshing Wave about politics that I was involved in some personal attack, called me arrogant and muted me.

I tried to tell her Wave didn't mind. He has never minded before. He posted a lol or two.

She assumed she knew me. I feel a moderator should not be so quick to judge.

Yes, I am rage in the games but impeachbush in the forums.

michelle
Lux Elder
Location: With mb, sas & Aqua at dustin's luxurious retirement village for ex-mods

Post by michelle » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:13 am

Yes I am a Moderator

which means I know the difference between being a Bully in chat in a game and bringing it to the forums

You can PM me anything further on this matter bringing it to the forums is silly nor does it belong in a thread about personal attacks in forums ....
we were not in the forums and I just muted you I didnt attack YOU!

rage
Luxer

semantics and arrogance

Post by rage » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:35 am

fuck it

I withdraw all i said

this place is not good for my mental health and i really question if it is good for anyone's.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:00 pm

I just want to reiterate that the Forum Moderator (and myself) do not monitor in-game chats. Realistically it could never happen since there are so many rooms open at once.

Also, I can say myself, that it can be hard to remember who is "friendly joking" with whom and who is really "spite attacking".

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:06 pm

http://sillysoft.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6733
the tide wrote:You're a fucking jerk, Bar.
Just so we're all on the same page ... if Bar were to call out or smack down another Luxer with the words "fucking jerk" ... would his post be deleted ... ?!

More to the point, is it appropriate for a mod to insult someone so boldly and then lock the thread, thus preventing a response ... ??

I don't know much about the old rivalries 'round here, so maybe I'm missing something and don't know the "whole story" ... but this seems like a double standard ... and I worry the "forum plebs" will lose some respect for the mod squad if this is the direction we're headed ...

Political correctness is rarely even handed ...

One Big Wave
Lux Emo Star

Post by One Big Wave » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:10 pm

Or we could all just refrain from being complete assholes too :roll:

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:21 pm

That's my point Wave ... why should anyone refrain when a mod is roaming around being one of the biggest assholes of all ... ?

"Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and keep the Lux forums a happy place to hang out."

Sir Holo
Old Skool Lurker

Post by Sir Holo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:26 pm

impeachbush wrote:Michelle....called me arrogant and muted me.
FWIW, impeachbush, when a player "mutes" you in a game, it only means that your chat won't show up in their chat window. Everybody else will see your chat. She was holding her own ears, not your mouth (fingers). Just FYI.

shock-n-ya'll
LUX POPA

Post by shock-n-ya'll » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:29 pm

Real life is full of ups and downs, why should the forums be any different than Real life. although it is true sometimes im sure there are minors here real life can be very graphic at times too. so what the hell,I say LET IT BE< LET It BE !!!

slayer
Luxer

Post by slayer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:31 pm

... there will be an answer, Let It Be

the tide

Post by the tide » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:50 am

I realized that some, if not all, would see an inconsisatantcy in my posting what I did. For as long as I am allowed to be a moderator, I will not allow my moderator 'gag' to supersede my judgement when I clearly see egrigous bullying when the options of protocol have seemingly been exhausted.

A few facts and no defense:

1. There is no 'history' btwn Barstar and myself; we've gotten along well. The only issue here is the harassment of another Luxer due to one persons subjective take on appearance taken to a mean spirited, uncalled for level.

2. Two weeks ago I PM'ed Bar, asking him to please stop with what I see as his harassment of BlackPanther to no avail.

3. On MArch 9-Bar lampoons BP as a 'whale'. Taking into account Bars previous public spats (most recently with Smedz) I concluded that he would never stop his harassment simply by my request alone. He did indeed refuse to comply with my requests to stop his harassment and no one seemed to care for what I see as popularity reasons. Thus I chose to post in response and let my feelings be known.

4. For those who see no problem and actually condone consistently referring to someone a 'whale' I certainly consider you a fucking jerk as well.

I'll happily resign with good conscious if need be.

Black Pope
Lux Exorcist

Post by Black Pope » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:26 am

Ummmm.....no.

Tide, that would be crap. If people don't trust you, its because they don't know you. You and I have had our disagreements, and I felt that you handled them with honor and integrity.

For you to resign, or, honestly, even offer to resign, would be a consession to people who lack the very quality that gives you the moral authority that you have.

My take...

michelle
Lux Elder
Location: With mb, sas & Aqua at dustin's luxurious retirement village for ex-mods

Post by michelle » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:30 am

Being a Mod is a double edge sword, not everyone is always going to agree with every action taken, but there are 5 mods .....not just 1 we all take things into account differently.... we can not please everyone and that is just the way it is .....

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:54 am

And we are all not saints!

hoodie
Burning Man

Post by hoodie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:57 pm

I, for one, think the mods do a kickass job, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks that. :smt023

pls
Lux Eldest

Post by pls » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:37 pm

Trust me to ping a mod when I don't agree with them. I PM'ed tide to tell him that I agreed with his character evaluation, but that I disagreed with the method he used for it - a personal attack - no matter what the purpose or situation.

I'm certainly not ready to call for the resignation of any mod, nor do I expect them to agree amongst themselves nor to handle problems in exactly the same way.

So - if I choose to call the alias known as "fatpanther" an effing jerk in public, too, I'd hope that the same rationale that tide used in impaling with BarStar be applied to me, too. Had I been the host during the game recently in which this low life entered and told demeaning jokes, I would have asked him/her/it to cease and desist and then would have applied the ban upon the first infraction. I think we have all have a higher calling in life than to demean others in this forum and in game chats, and if you don't agree, what tide said on you, too.

One Big Wave
Lux Emo Star

Post by One Big Wave » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:54 pm

pls wrote: Had I been the host during the game recently in which this low life entered and told demeaning jokes, I would have asked him/her/it to cease and desist and then
Would you have used the tazer if they didnt cease and desist immediately?

pls
Lux Eldest

Post by pls » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:55 pm

One Big Wave wrote:
pls wrote: Had I been the host during the game recently in which this low life entered and told demeaning jokes, I would have asked him/her/it to cease and desist and then
Would you have used the tazer if they didnt cease and desist immediately?
Right up the old wazoo, OBW!

Muskie
Deimos Piscis

Post by Muskie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:00 pm

I dont think being a mod is an easy or fun job,, but a responsibility,,, and I dont swim in their path,,,lol

trinkett
lux counsellor

Post by trinkett » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:33 pm

danmax wrote: If things get out of hand, the Mods handle it. It's entertaining and fun to read and watch these threads develop. It's not broken, so what needs fixing? If posters go overboard, they will get modded.

WE ARE THE MODS WE ARE THE MODS
WE ARE WE ARE
WE ARE THE MODS!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE ARE THE MODS WE ARE THE MODS
WE ARE WE ARE
WE ARE THE MODS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long live the mods

Kef
Lux Translator

Post by Kef » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:02 pm

dude, don't dig up topics over a year old :(