Edit forces in saved games

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
gcbisset
Lux Newbie

Edit forces in saved games

Post by gcbisset » Thu May 29, 2014 4:14 pm

I want to use Lux to run the strategic part of a miniatures solo campaign. The actual battles for each area would be done with another program. I would need to be able to edit the game to reflect the results of that other battle, and ignore or edit the results Lux comes up with for that battle.

Ive been able to do this in Triple A with its edit feature, but I think It may be easier to make maps for Lux.

Other people may enjoy this kind of campaign as well, using Lux for strategic movement, then another program, or a more detailed Lux map for tactical combat.

Is it possible to do this now with Lux?

Thanks,

George

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Re: Edit forces in saved games

Post by paranoiarodeo » Thu May 29, 2014 4:46 pm

The built-in Lux map editor allows you to specify a single default starting position (scenario) including country ownership and army counts. You could continuously update the scenario data over time as you manage game mechanics outside of Lux. Also, if you disable the individual turn timer, then you won't have to worry about Lux "generating results" as the app wouldn't increment turns without your say so.

(Kinda begs the question whether or not it'd be easier to use a visual design app like Adobe Illustrator though.)

gcbisset
Lux Newbie

Post by gcbisset » Fri May 30, 2014 4:20 pm

I should clarify that I want to play against the AI, since it is a solo game. So it would be best if I can edit after every combat resolution.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Fri May 30, 2014 6:45 pm

gcbisset wrote:The actual battles for each area would be done with another program. I would need to be able to ... ignore or edit the results Lux comes up with for that battle.
gcbisset wrote:I should clarify that I want to play against the AI ...
(You seem to be contradicting yourself, and I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but so be it.)

Unfortunately, Lux does not include any built-in capability in this area. If you want to alter the board of a game in progress, then you must manually edit a saved game file. Data is stored in a human readable XML format, and can be changed using a simple text editor, then reopened and continued in Lux. Cumbersome? Yes; but possible. Furthermore, please be aware that you will not be able to increment the game on a turn-by-turn basis; only round-by-round. In other words, Lux is designed to rush through all AI turns in succession and without pause. Technically, It is possible to save a game while an AI is moving, and you could try to snapshot the board state at the very beginning of every AI move, but that way lies madness. You can only ensure a clean game file by waiting for all AIs to finish their moves, then saving at the outset of your own turn, before cashing any cards or placing any armies.