Overground issues

Lux maps won't make themselves.
mixkula
Lux Newbie

Overground issues

Post by mixkula » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi, i'm working on a really nice looking map just one problem, my overground doesn't load, is it too big (500 KB)??

It's kinda key cus basically the whole boundaries are fixed with the overground...

Thanks

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:17 pm

500 kilobytes is a very reasonable size for an overground. Some maps themes are much larger, and require longer load times for some users, so bravo. AFAIK, the Lux app loads themes only once during any session. If you already played your map in Lux, and made any changes to the theme files — background, foreground, or overground — then you must close and reopen the Lux app, or else you won't see any changes. Also, overgrounds must be saved as 24-bit PNG files with alpha layer transparency and named overground.png. Please make sure you haven't accidentally saved in a different format or used a different file name.

(Hopefully, one or both of these tips will solve your problem.)

mixkula
Lux Newbie

Post by mixkula » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:00 am

Thanks for your reply!

I did all of the things you told me, several times. I just discovered the reason why it wasn't loading: there was a overground.png in the folder but also a overground.psd so it loaded the PSD. The funny thing however is that the map editor did load the correct file :s

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:34 pm

mixkula wrote:... there was a overground.png in the folder but also a overground.psd so it loaded the PSD.
I tested on my system and you are correct. Personally, I never keep work files in my theme folders, so I hadn't came across this bug before. Nice catch. Hopefully, dustin can tie up this loose end in his next release. Should be a simple enough fix.

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:38 pm

the multiple overground file issue has been always there.

I think it was also stated back in the day in some thread.

The reasoning behind this is that (at least when it comes to the background file) Lux does not know which file format a user might have chosen to save his file in.

There are backgrounds in .jpg .jpeg .png and so fourth and any of them work fine.

It makes it easier (although more error prone) to simply check for files that are named "background" or "overground" rather than having to check the file format as well.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:14 pm

Enokrad wrote:It makes it easier (although more error prone) to simply check for files that are named "background" or "overground" rather than having to check the file format as well.
That might make sense if the overground could be anything other than .png. Since there's only one possible format, it might as well be hard coded with the file extension to avoid conflicts. Also, strangely enough, .png is ahead of .psd alphabetically, so I wonder what kinda sort dustin uses for priority. Again, I had no personal experience with this bug, and obviously didn't bother searching the forums beforehand. Oh, well. Maybe next time I'll just keep quiet until one of you professionals has had time to speak up.

;)