Troll a Liberal

Of the people, by the people, for the people, for whatevs.

Does Co2 Cause global warming?

Yes
69%
No
23%
Dunno / Don't Care
8%

Total votes: 13

camaro
Lux Demon

Troll a Liberal

Post by camaro » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:07 pm

Dose an increase in Co2 lead to higher global temperatures?

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Re: Troll a Liberal

Post by Dangerous Beans » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:49 pm

Of course it does. The question is whether or not the small percent of CO2 on earth that is produced by humans is a significant factor towards global warming, or is the earth just going through another climate cycle regardless of what we puny humans do...

Owned
Lux Veteran
Location: Lair of Bane watching Schro put Symbi into tight attire

Post by Owned » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:18 pm

I think it is funny how people form opinions on things that they will never verify to be true. Many "scientific" tests nowadays are very biased by their funding. I think cutting down on pollution should be more of a health concern than a global warming concern.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:31 pm

CO2 is a greenhouse gas and is known to raise the temperature on earth. The evidence for this is well understood. The earth also goes through different cycles such as ice ages, etc. of course we aren't in an ice age right now so it would make sense for temperatures on earth to be rising since then.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would disagree that cutting down on pollution is a good thing to do (just look at China, shit even LA is filthy). I do think that anyone who has to scare people into stopping pollution is fighting an uphill battle.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:37 pm

Anyone that thinks humans aren't affecting the earth vastly under-estimates humanity.

We built nuclear bombs, which would have drastically changed our environment if we had kept setting them off.

Now we are building giant industrial processes instead. Less damaging to humanity, but still very much affecting our environment.

Humanity is incredibly powerful, for good or for ill.

:globe

camaro
Lux Demon

Post by camaro » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:01 pm

I think the correlation is... an increase in global temperature causes and increase in C02 levels.. I think that has been proven.

camaro
Lux Demon

Post by camaro » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:09 pm

ok so no response ... i win?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:26 pm

lol!

May god himself strike down with furious vengeance any mortals who wantonly destroy this modern day garden of eden He gifted us.

Even the new pope is on-board. :smt109

Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:00 am

Yes, yes, yes, and we're all going to die. Except for the Llustrious Order of Lluminated Llamas and our followers. Because we have a plan. Join up, pay your dues, and you can survive the coming apocalypse. The rumors that all humans will be chipped and reprogrammed have not and can not be proven. I wouldn't worry about that one bit!

:llama :globe :smt023

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:37 pm

The damn hippies are back.

∞ Dangerous Beans gets out his broom ∞

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:41 pm

dustin wrote:Anyone that thinks humans aren't affecting the earth vastly under-estimates humanity.
Do I think humans aren't capable of affecting the earth? No I do not. In the context of anthropogenic CO2 affecting global warming on a global scale... it remains unproven as any scientist will tell you.

camaro
Lux Demon

Post by camaro » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:15 pm

you would think the Green movement would be PRO plant food Not ANTI-plant food.... SMH

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:35 pm

Dangerous Beans wrote:Do I think humans aren't capable of affecting the earth? No I do not. In the context of anthropogenic CO2 affecting global warming on a global scale... it remains unproven as any scientist will tell you.
I am a scientist (Bachelor of Science degree) and from my review of the scientific literature, the scientific consensus is that human activity is having a large affect that is changing our climate.

This thread is titled "troll a liberal" so I guess that's what you're doing, and I won't take the debate (or lack thereof) too seriously. But the science is pretty clear: we are fucking up our ecosystem.

:llama

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:58 pm

Les haricots dangereux wrote: Do I think humans aren't capable of affecting the earth? No I do not.
More concerning to me is this borderline double negative. :llama

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:12 am

Borderline? It's egregious. ;-)

Next 100 years - we're doomed.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:49 am

Not sure what your degree is in Dustin, so I apologize if it is related to environmental science. I have taken classes and talked to several professors at Scripps (which maintains the Keeling Curve) who would agree CO2 and temperature levels have a correlation, but that are other factors as well, which don't allow us to accurately say to what degree CO2 affects temperature levels.

Secondly, anyone can take a set of data and manipulate it into a graph that supports their theory. I know I have been involved in other threads about this topic to a greater extent so I will leave this 'trolling session' of my own will before I get defenestrated.

To AR:
e·gre·gious
əˈɡrējəs/
adjective
outstandingly bad; shocking.
"egregious abuses of copyright"
synonyms: shocking, appalling, terrible, awful, horrendous, frightful, atrocious, abominable, abhorrent, outrageous; More
archaic
remarkably good.

(I will assume you are using the second definition of the word, considering you are almost as old as a dinosaur yourself hehehe.)

Drifter
Semiholy Rambler
Location: An undisclosed location... for reasons of security, and therefore... insecurity...

Post by Drifter » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:18 pm

AquaRegia wrote:Borderline? It's egregious. ;-)
I guess it's all a matter of which chart you choose to use...

SOURCE: http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/Carbo ... imate.html

Fossil records show there once significantly higher CO2 in the atmosphere than there is now, before humans, yet the world didn't burn up.

(I'd much rather the "Global Warming/Cooling/Climate Change/whatever new term they invent next" discussion turn into how to end pollution and clean up the mess that we have, but that doesn't fit into their control technocracy.)

Lantern
Lux Superhero

Post by Lantern » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:51 pm

Lantern smacks Drifter with a fluffed duck

sasquatch
Semiholy Beast

Post by sasquatch » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:49 pm

I am going to help Drifter with more relevant data because I love him (and it may further discussion). Here is a human scale graph and a few interesting facts about CO2...

The nagging long term CO2 picture showing the last 800,000 years rather than hundreds of millions. This is what concerns people:

But let's remember that CO2 is measured in parts per milllion - not a large component of the atmosphere:

And that the CO2 and temp curve doesn't correlate well to the burning of fossil fuels during the 1800s-1900s:

Do we really have a CO2 problem or is there much more to the story?
:hmm:

camaro
Lux Demon

Post by camaro » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:09 pm

its funny that even today with many many surface temperature stations, many scientist don't believe we have the tools necessary to read the "average" temperature of today's earth... how scientist get accurate readings from 10,000 years ago and 100,000 years ago is highly questionable

sasquatch
Semiholy Beast

Post by sasquatch » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:00 am

camaro wrote:its funny that even today with many many surface temperature stations, many scientist don't believe we have the tools necessary to read the "average" temperature of today's earth... how scientist get accurate readings from 10,000 years ago and 100,000 years ago is highly questionable
Here is a quick explanation how temperature is calculated from ice core data:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... peratures/

CO2 follows a similar path as temperature in the data, but does it lead or cause it? That was your initial question in the poll.

camaro
Lux Demon

Post by camaro » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:51 pm

sasquatch
Semiholy Beast

Post by sasquatch » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:57 am

camaro wrote:Cruz vs Sasquatch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quOw4dI4Apw
The average fifth grader could see from the chart that it is still a rising trend... which is why Cruz doesn't actually show the data.

So, Camaro, are you proposing that all data should be disregarded rather than addressing your original CO2 question?

:smt017

camaro
Lux Demon

Post by camaro » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:03 pm

Both satellites and surface temperature readings, however, showed prolonged periods without statistically significant warming trends — 15 years for surface temperatures and more than 18 years for satellites.

I Don't get it... a global warming summit in an era where there is statistically no warming at all :hmm:

The only increase comes when "scientists" adjust the raw data ...

Not believing that the earth is cooking up on us would also help to explain why the arctic sea ice has reached a new maximum :shock:

camaro
Lux Demon

Post by camaro » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:26 pm

when i tweak the raw data a little i suddenly become the greatest luxer that ever lived :P