Is negativity really the problem?

Of the people, by the people, for the people, for whatevs.

What is the #1 Problem with Luxtopia?

The negativity in the forums by a few bad apples drives people away
31%
The inconsistent servers/reliability of Lux keeps people away
3%
BioHazard generates an atmosphere where skill isn't as valuable so good players leave
25%
It's 2016, people only play console/mobile games
17%
Lack of well-run tournaments
8%
Heavy-handed "moderation" alienates/exiles too many regulars
6%
Other (post below)
11%

Total votes: 36

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Re: Is negativity really the problem?

Post by AquaRegia » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:44 pm

Yes, it's a gender-biased figure of speech. One that clearly says "people with testes are tough", thus implying that females are not. It's not the most important thing... so why fight for the right to keep doing it? Use "courage" instead, and you aren't denigrating half of the world's population for absolutely no good reason. Too many letters? Use "guts" - it's even shorter!

My grandmother called brazil nuts "nigger toes". She refused to stop calling them that, no matter how many times we tried. She's dead now - I guess that's the ONLY way some habits will stop. :wink:

To answer the serious question, most of the "negativity" I see in the forums could certainly be called "drama". People who can't just let something go, and continue to make thinly veiled insults at others long after the fact. People who can't seem to stop themselves from pointing out (over and over) all the mistakes of the past, or all the things that are WRONG about Lux. It makes me angry, which is NOT what I want from the forums. If that's what you mean by ""drama", then I guess I'd say it's a common form of negativity, but not necessarily the only form.

In games, it's mostly abusive chat or targeting play; this could be "drama", I guess... but not in exactly the same way. Easy enough to mute someone; targeting is harder. EVENTUALLY they get banned... but there are times I simply won't play because there is only one room going, and I know a certain player in that room will give me "special treatment" with depressing regularity.

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:22 pm

In men, testosterone is thought to regulate a number of functions in addition to sperm production:1

Male anatomy
Most testosterone is produced in the testes.

sex drive
Bone mass
Fat distribution
Muscle size and strength
Red blood cell production.

I guess science is sexist too? :smt017

Come to think of it, Wizard of Oz is really sexist too...because it basically says the Lion is broken because he does not have courage. I am offended by this because obviously a man without courage is still a man right? :roll:

plane crazy
Lux Corporate Pilot

Post by plane crazy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:14 pm

Hey n00les, wanna sum-up this thread now? Appears it's devolving.

So what is the real problem in lux? :hmm:

Heavy handed, over-worked, drama loving, under-paid MOD's? :lol:

Bio? The most played game 'cause eveyone knows all new players have a chip embedded in their heads forcing them to play bio or die, and the resultant so called, deviant, un-skilled, mis-guided, poor, sad bio player spawn? :roll:

Other, better, non-glitchy, newer, games for the great un-washed masses to play? :trophy

Our flawed Creator? :geek

Out-spoken, conspiracy spouting, righteously enraged, player dissidents? :oops:

Mad-brilliant, deposed, ex-communicated, mutinous Captain Rodeo? :pirate:

Pouty, non-playing, veteran classic players throwing darts at pictures of the cruel and stupid bio players as they collectively whine and pine-away for the good-'ol-days of FH classic games chock-full of strategy and honor? :deadhorse

RAW chasers and RAW whores and those that don’t chase. Boy players pretending to be girl players pretending to be old players who are now not players? :cactus

Ya can't make this stuff up as good as reality delivers it on a silver plate.

Good luck with this.

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:38 am

plane crazy wrote:

Out-spoken, conspiracy spouting, righteously enraged, player dissidents?

Mad-brilliant, deposed, ex-communicated, mutinous Captain Rodeo?

These two lines, PC, let me quickly cover a few points with you

I am not spouting conspiracies or "making stuff up" these things are all either true, facts or the truth as I know them as presented by various actors. That being said just keep your eyes open PC and try not to look shocked when the wretched 1 goes and "nukes all of luxtopia from space"
or whatever newest threat he hangs over the heads of ALL luxtopians. Do you like it when the tracker has 0 hosts PC?
the last thing you listed in this quote is 100% the source of much if not in fact all of the recent dramas in lux with his ugly whisper campaigns or other unseen actions he takes against other players or people he doesn't like for w/e reason.

GL EVERYONE get those bomb shelters ready! :panic:

imapickle
is a pickle

Post by imapickle » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:59 am

kitty on catnip wrote:
Come to think of it, Wizard of Oz is really sexist too...because it basically says the Lion is broken because he does not have courage. I am offended by this because obviously a man without courage is still a man right? :roll:
The lion represents an aspect of the girls psyche.

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:29 am

The Lion represented Donald Tru....errrr William Jennings Bryan, actually.

But in any case, if I were to sum up this thread it'd be to say that we don't really AGREE on what's the real problem with Lux.

The number one complaint "negativity" means different things to different people: is it drama? Is it people peeing in the Cheerios? Often it seems that negativity is often "posts which disagree with mine".

The second most common complaint "bio" is also contentious: some people think it's fine, and others think it's the worst thing to happen to Lux. And the solution here devolves to what people actually want from Lux: a fun place to blow off steam or a top-quality strategy game. With more players perhaps it'd be possible to have both simultaneously, but most of the high-caliber players have left.

Has the heyday of Desktop board games passed? Maybe.

We do seem to agree that Moderation is NOT the issue, but then again I just learned that while I was away Dustin made Steele a Mod, which is probably the most ridiculous decision I could have imagined, even if he actually WAS female (which many of us knew wasn't true YEARS ago)

So the question is where to go from here.

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:31 am

imapickle wrote:The lion represents an aspect of the girls psyche.
Ok valid point.

But my point was more in jest / to be facetious.

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:44 pm

plane crazy wrote:...Pouty, non-playing, veteran classic players throwing darts at pictures of the cruel and stupid bio players as they collectively whine and pine-away for the good-'ol-days of FH classic games chock-full of strategy and honor?...
I enjoyed your post. You almost counted all the varieties.

Since years I warned that the abundant increase of maps will sooner or later distruct the core of LUX.

It is not whining - it is a fact that in "the good-'ol-days of FH classic games" you found a host and game and even had to queue up for a game.

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:35 am

LMAO @ Baden's thoughts on what killed lux!!!

sure it wasn't all the multiregging or alais wars that didn't "destruct" the "core" of the game? Classic may have been lux's 1st map but it was never the only map. There was life outside of the teacup style way that most people played lux. Someone else recently made a good post about how all the players would farm, dance or do the same identical game after game. I can see why bio holds such sway over lux, it Is forever changing and adapting just like life.

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:26 am

Baden wrote:Since years I warned that the abundant increase of maps will sooner or later distruct the core of LUX.
:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

Galactic Alliance
Lux Newbie

Post by Galactic Alliance » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:04 pm

As a newbie to Lux and its community, I am wondering whether or not your constant puzzling over your negativity drives people away from your game. Of course, there are a few more things I can think of, like Sillysoft's poorly designed website and terrible customer service, the players' constant bashing of their dev and inwardly focused attitude where everyone remembers the good old days, the community's incredibly slow map and AI creation rate...

I can say that Lux itself is a great, great game. You people just need to figure out how to attract newbies like me.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:36 pm

Baden wrote: It is not whining - it is a fact that in "the good-'ol-days of FH classic games" you found a host and game and even had to queue up for a game.
I remember having to wait upwards of an hour to get into a game sometimes, yet I waited and watched and took notes. If a bio player doesn't get into the next queue shuffle, then he leaves.

Lantern
Lux Superhero

Post by Lantern » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:29 pm

Dangerous Beans wrote:
Baden wrote: It is not whining - it is a fact that in "the good-'ol-days of FH classic games" you found a host and game and even had to queue up for a game.
I remember having to wait upwards of an hour to get into a game sometimes, yet I waited and watched and took notes. If a bio player doesn't get into the next queue shuffle, then he leaves.
+1... waited for a long time to play! (back when there were players to play)

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:30 pm

Galactic Alliance wrote:As a newbie to Lux and its community, I am wondering whether or not your constant puzzling over your negativity drives people away from your game. Of course, there are a few more things I can think of, like Sillysoft's poorly designed website and terrible customer service, the players' constant bashing of their dev and inwardly focused attitude where everyone remembers the good old days, the community's incredibly slow map and AI creation rate...

I can say that Lux itself is a great, great game. You people just need to figure out how to attract newbies like me.
So how WERE you attracted to Lux? Have you played other multiplayer maps besides Bio? Tell us about your experience

Galactic Alliance
Lux Newbie

Post by Galactic Alliance » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:07 am

n00less cluebie wrote:
Galactic Alliance wrote:
As a newbie to Lux and its community, I am wondering whether or not your constant puzzling over your negativity drives people away from your game. Of course, there are a few more things I can think of, like Sillysoft's poorly designed website and terrible customer service, the players' constant bashing of their dev and inwardly focused attitude where everyone remembers the good old days, the community's incredibly slow map and AI creation rate...

So how WERE you attracted to Lux? Have you played other multiplayer maps besides Bio? Tell us about your experience
Actually, I've never played on a multiplayer map- I've just listened silently as a guest. I believe I've actually watched one of the games that you played a few days ago, but I typically download maps and play offline. Anyhow, when I listened silently as a guest, I noticed that the people in the Lux community seem to have had a long experience interacting with one another. In most online communities, no one knows every other player- even in single-server games like EVE Online which have massive guilds and internal politics, no one will ever meet everyone else.

That doesn't seem to be the case in Lux. Everyone acts like they have known each other for years- which is probably not the best stranger-inclusive mindset for a community to have. Furthermore, the community seems pessimistic about itself- which is DEFINITELY not the best experience for a community to have.

To sum up my experience in actually finding Lux, I first came across Lux when binge-reading Wikipedia. I was looking at the different Risk clones in existence, and clicked on your article. I became interested despite the shoddiness of the website (it sort of shouted SCAM! or VIRUS!, I thought at the time ), because I did want to play a game of computer Risk somehow that night on the computer. I downloaded the demo, quickly got through the 30 games in the demo over a few days, and bought the game. However, I bought the game by clicking on the "Buy Direct from PayPal" button, and I never received the game until March (despite sending e-mails to Sillysoft as the website said to ask them to give me my code) when I opened up a PayPal dispute and received the code in the form of a shipping code necessary to the investigation. I probably would have continued my dispute if I hadn't suddenly realized that the shipping code was actually what I needed to activate the game. Between February and March, I managed to find AHL and AEL in Lux's files, and played those, but I still was very annoyed with Sillysoft for not sending the code to the actual game.

Eventually, I activated Lux Delux and have been playing since. I downloaded a few maps, which I found enjoyable (I especially found interesting liquidfire's Star Trek Hex), and downloaded the bot code to eventually write my own AI.

That's basically the summary of my experience.

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Naraku wrote:LMAO @ Baden's thoughts on what killed lux!!!

sure it wasn't all the multiregging or alais wars that didn't "destruct" the "core" of the game? ...
You missed the point. Multiregging and alias had nothing to do with the maps.