Chess Thread

Forum games, computer games, any other games that you'd like to play.
plummy
Community Fruit

Chess Thread

Post by plummy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:11 am

Heyo, I know there are probably already several chess threads buried here in the Pub... but I thought I would start a new one rather than dig up an old one. A lot of lux players are on chess.com (Manimal, JJazz, N00less, animechess, and myself). If anyone else out there plays at all you should make an account if you don't already have one, and we should get some games going. My username on there is coope036. After we get some games going we can post them back here to share with everyone.

Feel free to post your favorite chess games/players/patterns/etc. as well.

(/me patiently waits for a dolla troll)

plummy
Community Fruit

Post by plummy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:14 am

My personal favorite player is Capablanca, but I've been reviewing a lot of KID games lately and "Leonid Stein" seems to pop up a lot from games in the 60s... A comment on one of his games caught my attention and I found it pretty sad, but interesting.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1132383

It was from a user named PVS... "One of the last of the great Romantics. The most unlucky of the top Soviet players, in 1962 he finished tied with Benko and Gligoric in the interzonal but was unable to advance to the Candidates tournament because of a rule limiting the number of representatives from any single nation (read USSR). In the next cycle, after having shared second in the famous Moscow Zonal of Seven he went to the Amsterdam interzonal and finished fifth, but was again disqualified by the aforementioned rule. The rule was abolished by the 1967 interzonal; he finished in a three way tie for sixth with Hort and Reshevsky and lost the playoff on a tiebreak. He failed to win one of the top four places in the 1969 USSR championship, which was a zonal for the next cycle. In 1973, at the peak of his powers he suffered a fatal heart attack a couple of weeks before the Petropolis interzonal."

Edit:

As sad as that may be though, it seems like a lot of players had it much worse.... http://www.chessmaniac.com/index.php/20 ... s-players/

I see death by syphilis, death by car, lots of suicides, death by poison, by starvation, walking into plane propellers (ouch)... anyway, interesting read.

plummy
Community Fruit

Post by plummy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:04 pm

(thanks for the move)

Here's a game I just played with 5 minute time control against a player much stronger than myself... There were probably countless mistakes and blunders, but it ended up being a fun game...

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=451426326

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous
Location: Habitual board flippers should have their dice taken away.

Post by WhirlPlaid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Yo Plummy,

If I did this right, I just challenged you to a game.

---------------

Looks like I did it right!

GL

imapickle
is a pickle

Post by imapickle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 pm

Yes I remember reading the book by Gufeld where he writes quite a lot on those Volga gambit lines of the KID. If I remember rightly he learned that line from Stein. They were great friends, and great players too.

I used to play that line with black sometimes in the days when i played regularly . it is quite fun. but after 15.e5! in your game it looks like white is having all the fun :-). and then 18 Nxf7 and without gong into any variations it looks like black is getting creamed. I like your style. I like to play like that too when I can.
Looks like with 26. e7 white is winning straight away, but i might be wrong.

imapickle
is a pickle

Post by imapickle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:35 pm

The book i had in mind was called "Winning with the Kings Indian".

plummy
Community Fruit

Post by plummy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Thanks pickle :o, i'll look into it. I have my hands full with "How to Reassess your Chess 4th Edition" right now so it will be a while before I start another book.

Kjos
Luxer

Post by Kjos » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:13 pm

You guys send me a challenge, I play off my iPhone and ill respond most likely right away, my username is Kjos7

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:43 pm

You want a challenge?

Kjos
Luxer

Post by Kjos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:44 pm

Come on people! Challenge me! My name is Kjos7.

Currently Plummy is kickin my ass, but I think iamapickle can be beating by Kjos. Although we are still on our first game haha.