Fortify Rules

AI discussion, ideas, and SDK help.
varoadstter
Luxer

Fortify Rules

Post by varoadstter » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:12 pm

Not being able to find a concrete explanation regarding exactly what the rules are for fortification I appeal to those in the bot community to give me the specifics. I've tried to nail it down through observation but I am afraid I will not get it right.

Thanks.

-VAR

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:06 am

There is only one rule: each individual army can make a single move as long as the originating country is not left undefended.

That simple rule can lead to interesting side effects: when an army moves into a country, the army that was defending that country is now free to move. That leads to a domino effect where an army can apparently move from one side of the board to the other. But it's not, really. Each army moves only once.

varoadstter
Luxer

Post by varoadstter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:52 am

Thanks Bertrand.

I went into the game to check out the behavior. I had convinced myself somehow that it was more complex but was able to finally understand that it's as simple as you state. Thanks!

rip
Luxer

Doh

Post by rip » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:47 pm

Bertrand wrote:That leads to a domino effect where an army can apparently move from one side of the board to the other. But it's not, really. Each army moves only once.
Doh.

How many years have I been playing this game? How many bots have i written? It never occurred to me that /that/ is what was going on.

Stoopid. I has it.

rip