The Great War

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

The Great War

Post by Behemoth » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:18 pm

Odanan's already made a First World War map but I thought there might be room for one more. Looking to make it a 3 vs 4 so it'll play quite differently.

Threw some U boat one way connections into the mix as well. :D

Last edited by Behemoth on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trekerboy
Luxer

Post by trekerboy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:19 pm

cool :D

spillblood
Luxer

Post by spillblood » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Yeah, looks great. Loved your previous maps (Khan Mongol Empire, Viking Age), and it definitely will be different than Odanans map, I think.

Sidereal
Lux Newbie

Post by Sidereal » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:58 pm

Looks great. What are the think double red lines though?

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Double red lines are non-passable by both sides, showing the stalemate trenches created on the western and eastern fronts.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:24 pm

love the logo!

Can't wait to play it.

:smt023

Sidereal
Lux Newbie

Post by Sidereal » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:58 am

Ah, I see. I was actually wondering how a WWI map would be different from a WWII map. Stalemate/trench lines would certainly add some interesting flavor.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Should be available soon if you're beta enabled.
Last edited by Behemoth on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Maybe a 10% or 20% white overground on the sea circles?

(Hello Voxers.)

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:51 pm

Looks awesome!

Obviously I haven't played it yet, but maybe a British castle in Alexandria?

GYPCOUNT
NATO

Post by GYPCOUNT » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Do u have to be enabled to beta test?

(Hi para)

Gyp :twisted:

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Sorry no disabled access.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:24 pm

mbauer wrote:Looks awesome!

Obviously I haven't played it yet, but maybe a British castle in Alexandria?
There's three castles close by to Alexandria (Cairo gets the tag for that region on this map) Constantinople, Baghdad and Kars... all owned by Ottomans though.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Behemoth wrote:... all owned by Ottomans though.
Yeah, that's my thinking. The allies are going to have trouble holding that area because there's no Castle there and the reinforcement road is very long (5-7 spaces from Italy) Those British troops are just waiting to get slaughtered, there's no way out for them.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Sounds eerily like what happened... only it was the Kiwis and Australians who got slaughtered :shock:

But yeah, be interested to see how that area fares - I've made it so the allies can put pressure on Dardanelles and in turn Constantinople directly from the Mediterranean sea which is just 4 moves from Rome.

massmanfun
Lux Newbie

The Great War

Post by massmanfun » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:52 pm

WOW!!!!!!!
I can't wait to play!!!!!
How soon will this be finished?

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:14 pm

Not sure when it'll be released, fairly soon hopefully. It is available to play as a beta map now if you'd like to try it out.

massmanfun
Lux Newbie

Great War

Post by massmanfun » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:36 pm

I'm glad to hear this map is avaliable in bata, but I have no clue how to get bata, and I can't find it here.
I guess I will have to wait

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:25 pm

It was just released. You should see it in your Plugin Manager now.

:smt023 :dp

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:03 am

Dude, how did you make the one-way connection? I didn't know that was possible! Explain this to me please :)

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:18 am

nvm, I already found out :)

@dustin, maybe a good idea to make it possible in the map editor by dragging with the right mouse button?

massmanfun
Lux Newbie

Great War

Post by massmanfun » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:31 am

Wow!!
I love it!

spillblood
Luxer

Post by spillblood » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:17 pm

I played this one a few times, one time cooperatively with my brother, and I must say: This tops Odanan's WWI map in every respect, but they play pretty differently. I think with those impassable trench lines it captures WWI much better than Odanan's map. I also love the fact that it's pretty big and good for long games. Well done, Behemoth!

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:08 am

Glad to hear it spillblood, thanks for your thoughts.

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:13 am

Behemoth is a Map God.

Try to keep up.

Sidereal
Lux Newbie

Post by Sidereal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:43 am

So after playing a couple games, it seems to me that this map plays very strangely. First of all, there seems to be a slight bias towards the allied powers--not huge, but seems to be there. But even more strangely, the major central power on this map seems to usually be the Ottoman Empire and not the German Empire. In fact, when playing with all Hawk AI, Germany usually gets utterly demolished from both sides, while Ottomans extend into Russia and Africa. When I tried to play as Germany, I found the border situation between France and Germany to be especially odd. France only has to defend 1 province, while Germany must defend 2 to preserve country bonus. Even shoving in all nearby units, Germany is utterly unable to push into France if France defends it with all its nearby pawns. If Germany does not atk, the 2 province front means that France will eventually deprive Germany of its country bonus.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it seems very odd for a map of WWI, where Germany was the major central power who was able to push into France and Russia simultaneously, with the other 2 playing much more minor roles. In my opinion, Germany should be strengthened with either more units or higher production, both to be more historically accurate and to balance Allied/Central.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:51 am

Thanks for the feedback, interesting to hear your view.

I agree that Germany has more work to do than France along the Western front - however Germany has a much stronger opening than France and is also in mid assault on UK, Polish and Belarusian territory at start of play. This should lend Germany the muscle it needs to defend Strasburg and Frankfort.

Also, England and France had tanks while Germany relied on Uboats. This proved a sore point for the German Empire and the ground it won along the Western Front in 1918 proved impossible to hold against allied tanks.

Re the two fronts:

The Schlieffen Plan was a German strategy implemented at the start of war to overcome two enemies on two opposing fronts - The Russians in the East and the French in the West.

The Plan apparently looked like being a success in the first few months of the war when Germany focused their offensive on France.

The battle of Marne in September 1914 undid Germany's hopes though, leading to a stalemate which lasted until 1917 when the US joined the war to help repel a fresh German's offensive in 1918.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:16 am

Made an alteration to the German/France western front border.

Anyone interested can download the new map and theme files in the plug-in manager.

Sidereal
Lux Newbie

Post by Sidereal » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:12 am

Behemoth, I'm liking this version a lot better, definitely plays more evenly.

One quick note though: there doesn't seem to be a connection between Kaxan and Viasma (near Moscow), even though the two provinces seem like they should be linked.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:19 am

Just spotted that fault myself, thanks for the heads up. It's been fixed if you want to update.
Sidereal wrote:So after playing a couple games, it seems to me that this map plays very strangely. First of all, there seems to be a slight bias towards the allied powers--not huge, but seems to be there. But even more strangely, the major central power on this map seems to usually be the Ottoman Empire and not the German Empire. In fact, when playing with all Hawk AI, Germany usually gets utterly demolished from both sides, while Ottomans extend into Russia and Africa.
Problem I've found with all the bots, Polymath included, is that they don't make especially sensible moves.
Sidereal wrote: This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it seems very odd for a map of WWI, where Germany was the major central power who was able to push into France and Russia simultaneously, with the other 2 playing much more minor roles. In my opinion, Germany should be strengthened with either more units or higher production, both to be more historically accurate and to balance Allied/Central.
Germany has been marginally strengthened and the Ottoman's marginally weakened. Even with these changes though I found all the bots who play Germany struggled to defend the western front, focusing their attention almost always on Russia alone, while bots playing France and the UK more often than not spent all their energy attacking Germany, allowing the Ottomans to expand quickly.

There's no reason this result should play out in an all human game, assuming players do not single out an empire while turning a blind eye to events on the other side of the map.

Thanks again for your input and glad to hear the changes were to your liking.