Player Guide

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:36 am

I have a question about online play.

When a bot replaces a human player does Vox automatically credit the bot and not the human player or are there limitations? Say for instance a human player was replaced by a bot in the penultimate turn of a 60 round game, who would be credited as having played the game, bot or human?

Also, do the same rules apply when a human replaces a bot?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:32 pm

If a bot replaces a Human, the Human gets credited with the win or loss at the end.

If a different Human takes over the Bot spot, then the different human will get credited.

mentor09
Luxer

Post by mentor09 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:55 pm

dustin wrote:If a bot replaces a Human, the Human gets credited with the win or loss at the end.

If a different Human takes over the Bot spot, then the different human will get credited.
But there is a bug left: Yesterday i noticed heavy load on my machine and i saw 6 bots playing alone :-)

http://sillysoft.net/vox/rankings/game/1095

When i entered the room i saw it was (i believe) mud joining the game in turn 1 and being replayced by the bot before end of turn 1. I joined as his team mate and won the war. surprising to me: The game was recorded as a single human game. I thought he'd get the credit as well... It's eventually ok if a first turn leaver gets no credit, but then me shouldn't have either, right ?

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:46 am

I'm almost 100% sure the same thing happened in a game of Hellenic recently; a human player left during the game and the bot who replaced him was credited with the result.

The opposite hasn't happened to me though, I've been credited with the results of games I took over from bots.

mentor09
Luxer

Post by mentor09 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:53 am

Behemoth wrote:I'm almost 100% sure the same thing happened in a game of Hellenic recently; a human player left during the game and the bot who replaced him was credited with the result.

The opposite hasn't happened to me though, I've been credited with the results of games I took over from bots.
But a single player game should not score at all ;-)

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Mon May 09, 2011 8:49 am

Ramcat wrote:mentor09 just shared with people how to surrender from a game and have it count like you played. Or I might say, "How to surrender like a man".

From what he said:
Type /surrender in the chat textbox.
Then hit "I'll be back" when you leave.

That way the game will count for "Full Human" and not mess up other peoples stats (this is where you be a man). It will also not wait for you to enter any more moves (not delay the game).

Because I did not know this I messed up at least one game. This should be added to the 'Help' HTML file loaded to the client. And a primer for how to join and play network games. Is there anything else to add?
The surrender option is a bit baffling. 'Surrendering like a man' should be how the option works by default imo. To my mind a surrendering foe should lay down arms rather than embark on a bot-led rampage of your forces. I can't see any reason why letting a bot take over should be allowed.

mud
n00b educator

Post by mud » Tue May 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Attackers armies in grey.
Defenders armies in red and green.
Green attackers win.
Red defenders win.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Fri May 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Dr was kind enough to try and explain the finer points of the defensive and offensive values of troops to myself and a few others the other day.

I learnt a bit along the way, but what become most clear is that there's quite a few players who struggle to get their head around what the values represent much less than how to make a calculation using them.

I'm not talking about the battle calculator btw, how that works is pretty clear.

It would be great if someone could post an example of a battle explaining what the defence and offence values of the troops mean and how they are used in a conflict. An example that avoids using abstractions and assumes the reader is entirely new to the game would be ideal.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:29 pm

dustin wrote:What are the rules for battles?
When 2 allies attack the same country in the same move - how is the battle run, and who controls the country after the battle?

The attacking allies will be grouped together and collectively fight the defenders. The player will the most surviving units will take ownership of the country after the battle.
When 2 allies defend a country in the same move - how is the battle run?

So... the defending allies will be grouped together to collectively fend off the attackers?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Yes, defending allies are grouped together to defend. They should take casualties equally, but always pawns first.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:56 pm

Staying at a hotel for the next three days - the internet is fine, quite fast actually.

Can't access Vox or Lux though.

I can see the games on the tracker but when I go to connect I 'Loading game resources'.... followed by ✱ Connecting to remote Vox Server at 174.6.1.244 port 3322... ✱
✱ Could not connect ✱

Any one with clues how I can get access back?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:34 pm

If the hotel is blocking certain network ports then there's no real way around that. You could ask the hotel about it.

lokiju
Luxer

Post by lokiju » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:24 pm

So, I was attacking an enemy castle that had no defenders with my 2 horsemen. I lost...the game seemed to calculate a battle with the units the AI was purchasing. That's not supposed to happen, right? This happened a couple of times to me against Prince John on the Robyn Hood map. There were no other AI units in any surrounding hexes either...odd!

mud
n00b educator

Post by mud » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:46 pm

dustin wrote:Castles defend at 10.
In my math I usually count a castle as being equivalent to 3 pawns.

drSnuggles
Luxer

Post by drSnuggles » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:04 pm

lokiju wrote:So, I was attacking an enemy castle that had no defenders with my 2 horsemen. I lost...the game seemed to calculate a battle with the units the AI was purchasing. That's not supposed to happen, right? This happened a couple of times to me against Prince John on the Robyn Hood map. There were no other AI units in any surrounding hexes either...odd!
Not odd, just plain math.
Castle defense 10 means you'll definitely lose one unit plus a second at a chance of 2/3.
If you hit with 2 horses, your chance is just 1/3 to take it. Even though you beat the castle (one unit) with your 2 horses each time, you need one unit surviving.

Read here for more details about fights.

lokiju
Luxer

Post by lokiju » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:20 pm

Crap, I had no idea castles had a natural defense without units in place! Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Also, after looking at the numbers...do units on a castle hex get extra defense value? If not, the 10 defense seems pretty insignificant after the early game.

drSnuggles
Luxer

Post by drSnuggles » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:48 am

No, there's no additional defense gain for pawns/horses defending in a castle.
lokiju wrote:...the 10 defense seems pretty insignificant...
If you use the Battleodds Calculator, you can see that a single battle may last several rounds. These castle 10 count each round, so e.g. a 5-round-siege will cost 10 additional attackers in the worst case.

blanco
Luxer

Post by blanco » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:44 pm

is there a way to make units more expensive?