The 6th Annual Lux Castle Tournament

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:11 pm

(I'll have some big announcements when this is all over, dear. Sooo, nope. We're not there yet. Shush.)

Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

Post by Enzo1997 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:04 pm

/me mentions something about only being available thursday and saturday of this week, and sunday, <strike>monday or tuesday, and thursday, or saturday of next week</strike>

(EDIT: Anything after Sunday 8pm EST is irrelevant.)

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:24 pm

paranoiarodeo wrote:(I'll have some big announcements when this is all over, dear. Sooo, nope. We're not there yet. Shush.)
I do wish hell would stop freezing over. Most disorienting.

:smt077

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:45 pm

If anyone else bothers, I would be available all during next week, after four, but before... um... six I guess. The rest of this week too, probably. Friday and Saturday I could be here after four, and up to maybe nine. Saturday I should be free the whole day. Any time after ten, but before nine. This week's pretty flexible for now.

Marauder
Midnight Luxer

Post by Marauder » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:58 pm

I will be available as much as I can if another game is scheduled and will try to make it if needed. I do offer my apologies to team Earth, but sometimes real life doesn't allow for such luxuries as online gaming.

In my defense, I did play a very heavy number of games up front, not to mention we lost a player along the way. I would love to play Lux at my convenience, unfortunately, responsibilities take precedence most of the time.

I think this is a great tourney, and have enjoyed playing in it; win, loss, or marathon. Thanks Snype, and para for picking up the torch. If Earth doesn't play another game, good luck to the rest.

Lantern
Lux Superhero

Post by Lantern » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 pm

I would like to thank my fellow Virtue players. I enjoyed playing with you all once again this year and was very pleased with the enthusiasm of new Virtue member George. Good job Gfips, BWE, cyn and of course our secret weapon Precious, which we lost halfway through the tourney. Once virtue always virtue.

Y'all better watch out next year!!!!

V..VI...VIR....VIRT.....VIRTU......VIRTUE!
æ

congrats to all the teams that placed above and below us.

:) :smt023

thanks to para for doing his best to keeping this tourney going after snype had to leave.

Milltycoon
Bagels with Lux

Post by Milltycoon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:01 am

My schedule: I am teaching on Thursday night. I need Thursday afternoon (PST) to prepare. I have plans to attend a Superbowl party on Sunday, and probably am not available much past noon. Otherwise, there are "better" and "worse" times for me, but I can work around anything other than these commitments and I would like to play one more game with Earth. I can't speak for my teammates, but we had a generally decent attendance record during this tournament, so I feel confident that we can muster a team of 3 at a given time.

600 hours? There are only 744 hours in all of January. Maybe the 40 of us _combined_ to be present for 600 hours, but even someone who was in the room for every second of the tournament only logged about 60 hours.

Congratulations to Fire and Bane. It wasn't close at any time during this tournament--almost every time we got to the final three in a game, we were looking at Red and Purple and whatever other team happened to survive. I still think that my idea of two 3x3 games to decide the championship is the best, fairest and most exciting course of action.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:19 am

Of course, I was speaking of combined man-hours. Nothing else would make sense. So far, there have been exactly 224 hours 6 minutes and 55 second spent by all players, active and alive in games. I myself played 16 hours, and was present for 32 hours more, not including time spent doing prep work before the tourney room opened each day, or afterwards making sure our stats and leaderboard were accurate. If you consider that most players who died first often remained in the room, in case they were needed to play the following game, and most teams often had second or third members present for moral support and coaching purposes, then I dare say a final estimate of 600 hours is more or less accurate.

(Whatever.)

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:22 am

It's strange sometimes how such vibrant things can peter out in the concluding stages due to a lack of, what, interest, i suppose.......or, like Marauder mentioned, real life takes over and lux has to take a backward step. Castles has generally always been my highlight of the lux year, even more than luxtober, simply because January is summer holiday time over here, and i can normally get to most games on most days without being disturbed by work. It has also become more complicated this yr, as Snyper and Precious have had to quit this game for more underlying problems/issues in their lives, which puts pressure on Para to take up the slack, on Earth and Virtue as they lose 1 player each, and on the whole tourney, as 1 or 2 lost days really mess up the schedule for people who do have schooling/work/parental committments.

This is my 5th castle tourney, and i have only been able to participate in the finals once, in 2009, when we lost to Virtue, otherwise, BANE have been the laughin stock of this compettion, as we came dead last all other 3 yrs i have been here, plus the yr before i joined lux, well, BANE came last then too. I've hasd to put up with shirt from every other team as to how bad we are, and with good reason too, lol, and now, i really see the irony, as the 1 year we may actually be able to top the table, all this stuff happens to affect the tourney, and people's attitudes to completing it, which makes me sad, as i feel like, even if we do win, it has been "tarnished" somewhat with the issues we face now.

Last year, when these 2v2v2 games started, Snyper actually skipped a game, as BANE were not even close to being able to jump into 5th spot, hence he just skipped the game, and the other 5 teams continued. I'm not sure whether the 2nd place team COULD have caught AIR in the final standings if they had won that game and AIR had finished 6th in it, im really not too sure, but for all those who were not privy to that information, I just wanted to set the record straight, before anyone claims that we now have an unfair advantage as the 2v2v2 game now looks to be cancelled. Para was quite concerned about this yesterday, as his opinion is that if you are going to win, you win doing all the right things. IF he had followed snyper's way of thinking, then frankly, we should only have to play the 1 3v3 game with Fire, but we both agreed yesterday that this was not fair on FIRE, in particular, as mathematically, they still do have a hope of catchin BANE vif they had won the 2v2v2 AND the 3v3 game.

Now, frankly, i see this tourney a bit like an English Premier league season, where they play every team 2 times, home and away, and the leader at the end of the 38 games is the winner, no play-offs, or anything....EVERY team competes on the last day of the season, and the winner decided by the accumulation of points over this gruelling period, which is way different to you guys over in the States, who, obviously greedy with potential revenue , have many "play-off" games to further the season, and get a winner weeks after the actual season has concluded. To be frank, i do not really care for these 2v2v2 or 3v3 games, as i think if you are good enough as a team over the month, there should be no need to continue these games afterwards. BUT, this is the way the tourney has gone throughout its history, so this is what must be done now.

I'm a bit like Shockandawe now, i have commitments from both work and family over the next 3-7 days; sure, there will be times that i can log on and play, but work has picked up again since most concreters are back from holidays, i have jobs booked in for the next 8 days, have to take my daughter to a party on the weekend, have dinner with friends and so forth, so it is really goin to be hard for me now, AND, on top of this, the time differences between Australia and the States really make it difficult for me when i am busy to be around when the rest of you are available, so frankly, this tourney, which culd be the yr m,y team finally breaks our duck, will prolly end for me now, with no contribution to these games, either playin or cheering, which, as team Captain, makes me feel both a little empty and very frustrated, especially coz of all the times that we managed to finish 6th over so many other tournies.

In fairness to FIRE however, i think these 2 games must be played, and if BANE loses, well, it was not to be our destiny to be winners, simple as that....... I will assist in any way Drifter and Whirl to get consensus on a time, but we really have to conclude this thing ASAP, even if half of us cannot make it. Para has other things in the pipeline that he wants to committ his time to; he never asked to be host, it was really thrown to him out of necessity by Snyper, as he knew he would get the committment from Para to do the job properly. HOWEVER, it was a bit the same with Luxtober, when para got dumped with most of the work (Dustin was overseas), and some tournies had to be cancelled due to lack of time. AND, even if it was a bit rude of some peeps to claim that Castles is only a January tourney and they wont wanna play in February, well, in a way they are right....the longer thnigs drag out, the worse it is, and also, some of the "gloss" is taken away from it

*Manimal
Lux Cutie Pet

Post by *Manimal » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:34 am

I am available almost anytime Thursday through Sunday, except perhaps late at night.

heartscoffee
Lux Sweetheart

Post by heartscoffee » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:38 am

Saturday sometime works best for me.

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:16 am

saturday would be good for me too.

Drifter
Semiholy Rambler
Location: An undisclosed location... for reasons of security, and therefore... insecurity...

Post by Drifter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:19 am

Saturday is good for me as well.

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:46 am

Well, that is 3 at least from Fire whom can play on Saturday........this is most likely to be Sunday morning my time, which could work for me.....but even if it doesnt work for me, i am sure that Para and Naraku could be available for then, and i am sure either 1 of Schroberts, Samuel or Deep Blue could possibly make it then to make the 3 that BANE is required for the 2 games......

If my mathematics is right, Midnight for you guys is 3.30 pm the following day for me, so if we made it 4pm Saturday, that would make it 7.30am sunday for myself. Whilst i have been wakin at 4.30 am everyday this week and woiuld love a sleep-in on sunday, i assume that i could be there for that time,m if it suits all the other players?? I am not exactly sure what time this makes it for the european players, like Deep, but i would be willing to change the time to suit him if he really wants to play...

Schroberts
Lux Veteran

Post by Schroberts » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 pm

My schedule is basically open today throughout the weekend, with the exception of tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon. Whatever works best for everyone else will likely be something I can do :)

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous
Location: Habitual board flippers should have their dice taken away.

Post by WhirlPlaid » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:33 pm

schroberts wrote:My schedule is basically open today throughout the weekend, with the exception of tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon. Whatever works best for everyone else will likely be something I can do :)
One more reason why I love Schroberts.... she is SO flexible and accommodating.

-------

I will make myself available on Saturday the fourth even though I will be Fire's last resort player. There will be a small window where I will not be available. Saturday evening is best for me. Anytime after 5:00 PM PST which is 8:00 PM EST and Sunday the 5th 11:30 AM Mazza time.

Schroberts
Lux Veteran

Post by Schroberts » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:31 pm

WhirlPlaid wrote: One more reason why I love Schroberts.... she is SO flexible and accommodating.
How many times do I have to ask you to not tell all my secrets, Whirly? ;)

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:44 pm

schroberts wrote:
WhirlPlaid wrote: One more reason why I love Schroberts.... she is SO flexible and accommodating.
How many times do I have to ask you to not tell all my secrets, Whirly? ;)
Oh, how can this be a secret when we all know it anyway?

---

CONGRATS TO THE FINALIST TEAMS and thanks to my teammates for doing an awesome job. We did not play our best games and we did not have any kind of little luck, but we had great fun nevetheless! We will return in 2013! Great thanks to our new member George, who played most games for us and especially all the marathon maps! Awesome job George! Thank you!

/me was in the house of bane.
/me is gutted - all the whiskey bottles were already empty and the autobooter was such drunken that he even forgot to boot me. (maybe thats the reason why deez nuts did not play any games, he was stuck in the house of bane ;-))
/me left some champaign for the bane celebration party

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:23 pm

I'm gonna need your specific times by tomorrow night. Get this done, people.

(PROTIP: Since Bane / Fire seem focused on Saturday evening, perhaps Earth / Air should consider Saturday late afternoon.)

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:30 pm

I think Saturday would be best. Maybe five?

Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

Post by Enzo1997 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:40 pm

Saturday is open for me.

Samuel99
MOTW For Life

Post by Samuel99 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Satruday after 8 PM would be good for me.

Milltycoon
Bagels with Lux

Post by Milltycoon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:11 pm

For the record, as per Mazza's post about last year, yes, during the "Finals day", one team was missing and that round was skipped. Fire did still, even with the skipped game, have a valid chance to catch us (Air), and in fact by the time we got to the 2x2x2 match, a Fire sweep would have pulled them virtually even with us (about 4 points apart, meaning that the 3x3 would have been conclusive). As it happened, Air won the 2x2x2 match and clinched the title there. Part of the reason for my idea of the two 3x3 matches by Fire and Bane would be to induce a similar setup--the opportunity for Fire to catch if they won both matches decisively, and the opportunity for Bane to declare victory if they won or tied either. If we were instead to have 2x2x2 with Fire, Bane and two Reaper bots, I'd be fine with that also. In fact, that would be more entertaining and more authentic to SnyperEye's original format. If Fire didn't outscore Bane in the 2x2x2, then Bane would clinch.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Milltycoon wrote:If we were instead to have 2x2x2 with Fire, Bane and two Reaper bots, I'd be fine with that also.
First, I'm glad you'd be "fine" with that, but thankfully, I didn't ask for your opinion on the matter. I already made my decision, and everyone involved seems happy with the format. Why you'd muddy the waters now with additional "suggestions" is beyond me. Second, last year's first finals game including Bane wasn't "skipped" per se, but simply played without them. In other words, two five team games were played to begin the finals. Third, Fire and Air never played a 2v2v2 match with anyone last year. After the third (four team) finals game, Snype double eliminated both Earth and Water, then Air and Fire played a single 2v2 game, not 3v3, 'cause there weren't enough players from both teams. Fourth, I can dig up the old data, and I certainly will, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge that any missing games did not have an impact on the eventual outcome. Air's margin for error and odds of winning were increased by any missing players or games. Fifth, IMHO, Snype did the best he could last year, but the finals were rushed a bit. He felt like wrapping things up as quickly as possible, and cut a few corners to make that happen. I'd argue he had that luxury, 'cause his team wasn't directly involved in the final game. Unfortunately, given this year's circumstances, I don't and I wanna prioritize fairness over expediency. Sixth, and finally: "your" idea of two 3v3 games? Mhmm.
Last edited by paranoiarodeo on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Milltycoon
Bagels with Lux

Post by Milltycoon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:15 pm

For Tebow's Sake, dude... I'm just trying to help.

On Monday night, it _was_ my suggestion that there be two 3x3 games, and I am glad you adopted it, or maybe you didn't see me post it and came up with it on your own, or maybe you had had the idea since last Labor Day and when I said it, you just laughed and brushed a buzzing insect off of the Sandwich of Pure Knowledge and Judicial Prudence you were eating at the time. I didn't know that everyone had agreed to the rules, and there was a possible alternate format suggested, so I made a comment as someone excited to see the best possible Finals.

I don't have a perfect memory of last year's tournament, and I know that we benefited from having the lead and the fact that one of the teams didn't show up. It gave the teams chasing us less of an opportunity to catch us, and that obviously affected some of the dynamics. But nothing I said in the gist of my response to Mazza was disingenuous or intended to muddy the question he had. No, there is no need for you to do more work to pull up the exact stats and prove that I'm wrong as always.

for about the 30th time, I and everyone again thank you for your tireless work in this tournament, and your burden for subbing in at the last minute. I didn't derail the end of this tournament. I'm trying to help, and have tried to organize a 3rd place Earth/Air match. It doesn't help anyone for you to ascribe upon me the worst motives of anyone who has said or done anything, nor to treat me like I walked into Lux 3 hours ago. I want to have the best tournament we can have.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:03 pm

Milltycoon wrote:On Monday night, it _was_ my suggestion that there be two 3x3 games, and I am glad you adopted it ...
You wanna know what you really suggested, Millty? One 3v3 game. I had to walk you through the math, step by step, before you realized that Fire couldn't catch Bane, if we skipped any games. Perhaps I should post the chat log in order to refresh your memory.

While you and one your teammates were pissing and moaning about Earth's absence, or demanding an hour of your lives back, or questioning my objectivity, I was privately chatting with Drifter, an old Lux friend of mine, fellow moderator, and Fire team member, about possible alternatives. Later that evening, I chatted with Mazza too, and waited for further feedback from others next day. Put simply, I tried to make sure that most Fire and Bane players were in agreement before changing the format.

Also, I wanna be plainly clear about two things. First, I'm not ascribing any motives to your meddling. That's just you being you, I guess, but I kinda wish you weren't right now. Second, I'm not asking for anyone's sympathy or praise for shouldering the tourney in Snype's absence. All I ever wanted was some patience and understanding plus a minimum of drama.

Milltycoon
Bagels with Lux

Post by Milltycoon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:08 am

Ok. I won't cause any more trouble. My teammate is my teammate, though, and is not me.

Good luck to Fire and Bane in the Finals, and thank you, Para, for hosting and being eternally patient.

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:13 am

ok.....as far as the time for BANE and FIRE, i am happy to agree to Whirl's idea about 8pm EST, which is now 11.30 am for me on a sunday.........nice, sleep

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:16 am

Bravo, Whirly and Mazza. Thanks.

(Lemme suggest 6pm EST for the third place game.)

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:22 am

i have PM'd all BANE players with the time, if we cannot get 3 there, im gonna go hang myself.......