Image Sizes/Types for theme customization

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Aluxander the Great
Lux Newbie

Image Sizes/Types for theme customization

Post by Aluxander the Great » Wed May 28, 2003 1:13 pm

Thought I would post these up for anyone interested in making their own themes.

Background: 1000x650 pixels is large enough for the huge worlds. You will have some squashing/skewing when you use the smaller boards. If thats not satisfactory you could make a different theme for each file size. I saved my background as a GIF, although it also recognizes BMAP and JPEG files too.

NOTE:the program doesn't recognize how to stretch a smaller image for the larger maps, so it fills in with the previous theme background around the edges and it slows things down (at least on my G4 Powerbook).

Secondary Logo: 100x70 is what I have been using, although those dimensions can have a little play to them. In order to preserve the transparency and image quality, I have been using .png as the image type. Also, to save some headaches, some of the worlds don't have enough space to fit a secondary image, so if you create a theme and your logo isn't showing up, try cycling through a couple different worlds to see if its just a size issue (or try a bigger world).

Hope this helps someone out. May the lux be with you.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu May 29, 2003 1:48 am

Some notes that might help you out:

You can look at the files that make up the built-in themes by control-clicking on Lux, going to 'Show Package Contents', then navigating to Contents/Resources/Themes/. They use the same format as add-on themes.

The filler pictures can be of any size, they get placed wherever there is enough room.

The background image is supposed to get stretched bigger or smaller to match the size of the window. This doesn't always happen for you?

peace,
dustin

Aluxander the Great
Lux Newbie

Post by Aluxander the Great » Thu May 29, 2003 6:48 pm

It shrinks just fine, I just have yet to see it expand...not too much of an issue since I am a resolution junkie, but it was interesting to note.

Thanks for the tip, too. It will help out.

-Zak