Holding Northern Italy In Rome Map

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Fast Cache
Luxer

Holding Northern Italy In Rome Map

Post by Fast Cache » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Here is a strategy that I don't know of anyone really using. It seems Northern Italy is always farm ground, but if you have a reasonable start and an take it then it is easy to hold from one country Cisalpine. See the screenshot for an interesting game where I did just that with the bomb strategy. The key was that everyone had to know I was planning to use those in Cisalpine if they ventured into NI. Ok, not much of a strategy but it was a sort of fun game.

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:57 pm

This is the same as those who play the bomb strategy in Europe of Classic. Depends on the players and the game as to whether you can make this work or not. Usually the best you can get is a few turns of income; but sometimes that's all it takes....

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:03 pm

I speak of this as a Rome II Expert:

The problem with this strategy is simply that it doesn't actually accomplish anything. In Rome II you have to be able to attack at a moment's notice and be able to seize the day. If, in this game, Green and Blue begin fighting, you want your 1102 to be unlocked so that you can take over Rome or Gaul + Narbo or something like that. (In the early game you don't want to do this because you won't be able to get any kills.) While you do have a large income from NI (probably roughly 70 in this example) it isn't enough to be able to deliver a strong strike swiftly. You wouldn't be able to take and hold any continent with 100 men after all. To try and circumvent this, you could place in tarra, but each turn your "bomb" in NI would become less frightening. Therefore, such a strategy really isn't effective.

One other problem with this strategy is that many don't even fear your bomb. If I was white, I would hit you in NI from NE.

The only time I ever take NI is when I get locked in NE. If someone purposely locks me in NI (or somehow I get locked there) I'll take my armies from NE and then take over all of NI then retreat to the center, as you did in the image above. But I do so knowing that most of the time someone will hit me in NI and unlock me. So instead of using the NI bomb to protect NI which often fails because NI is too valuable, I use the NI bomb to protect NE, which generally works.

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Was about to say if NE hits NI i take my bomb and take NE instead (which is y guess as to what happened here). Looking at the map it makes you wonder how he even had the armies to TAKE NI when he seems to have only 1 other source of income and makes me wonder what he gave up to get NI instead

Drifter
Semiholy Rambler
Location: An undisclosed location... for reasons of security, and therefore... insecurity...

Post by Drifter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:48 pm

Whatever happened to Kill, Kill, Kill™?

∞ Drifter misses the ultimate marathoner JWD and his trademark ∞

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Rhye wrote:I speak of this as a Rome II Expert:

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:05 pm

I'm glad I have a fan. Even if it is a troll...

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:40 pm

expert troll*

dumassius
Luxer

Post by dumassius » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:27 pm

NI is relatively to seize and hold in Expletus. That's because it is largely irrelevant. There is so much income elsewhere on the board that most players do not care.

The problem with NI in Expletus is that you've divided player A from players B and C, and perhaps D. You always want your competitors to have conterminous borders so they beat the crud out of one another. If your opponents are not beating on each other, no bomb is large enough to win.

BuyMoria
Luxer

Post by BuyMoria » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:44 pm

Rhye wrote:I speak of this as a Rome II Expert:

The problem with this strategy is simply that it doesn't actually accomplish anything. In Rome II you have to be able to attack at a moment's notice and be able to seize the day. If, in this game, Green and Blue begin fighting, you want your 1102 to be unlocked so that you can take over Rome or Gaul + Narbo or something like that. (In the early game you don't want to do this because you won't be able to get any kills.) While you do have a large income from NI (probably roughly 70 in this example) it isn't enough to be able to deliver a strong strike swiftly. You wouldn't be able to take and hold any continent with 100 men after all. To try and circumvent this, you could place in tarra, but each turn your "bomb" in NI would become less frightening. Therefore, such a strategy really isn't effective.

One other problem with this strategy is that many don't even fear your bomb. If I was white, I would hit you in NI from NE.

The only time I ever take NI is when I get locked in NE. If someone purposely locks me in NI (or somehow I get locked there) I'll take my armies from NE and then take over all of NI then retreat to the center, as you did in the image above. But I do so knowing that most of the time someone will hit me in NI and unlock me. So instead of using the NI bomb to protect NI which often fails because NI is too valuable, I use the NI bomb to protect NE, which generally works.

If only the people playing Rome understood this simple concept...