winning messages malfunctioning

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
mnemosyne
titaness

winning messages malfunctioning

Post by mnemosyne » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:32 pm

lately, the winning messages have not been displaying properly. in some cases, 2/3 of the letters in the winning message text (both for my messages, and those of others) are missing. i took a screen shot of one, but am not terribly tech savvy, and have no idea how to include that here. i am apparently not alone is seeing this unusual phenomenon. it doesn't happen all of the time, just sometimes. and it also does not happen just in online games, it happens in bot games when i am offline.

also, as i have posted previously. sometimes, strange winning message appear that are: 1. not our winning messages saved in preferences, and 2. not generic lux winning messages either. somebody else is importing win messages that supersede the standard ones.

taken together, it gives the impression that somebody is tinkering with parts of the game/code, and it may merit some additional investigation.

of course, its only once in a blue(berry) moon that anybody sees my winning message, but there is clearly something not working right.

cheers,

m

p.s. if anybody can direct me on how to paste a screen shot in a message here, lmk, and i will do so.

:catrun

Symbiosis
Lux Solicitor

Re: winning messages malfunctioning

Post by Symbiosis » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:53 pm

You need an image hosting site to upload your image to*. I use Imgur, it has a really straightforward drag and drop interface. After you have the image hosted, you can include it in a board post just like any other image on the internet.

* grammar nazi remix: "to which to upload your image"

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:29 pm

Nothing wrong in having a preposition to an end a sentence up with.

" I lately lost a preposition:
It hid, I thought, beneath my chair.
And angrily I cried: "Perdition!
Up from out of in under there!" -The Naughty Preposition, by Morris Bishop

mnemosyne
titaness

Post by mnemosyne » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:54 pm

cool; thx. old dog = new tricks. hey look mom! i'm on the internet!! ;-)

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:19 pm

Ass a VR last night? Looks ok to me! :hmm: :smt023

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:18 am

what OS version are you on? are others seeing this same behaviour?

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:56 am

I've also seen the missing letters thing happen, but just once. It was on a Mac running OS X (v 10.11.6).

mnemosyne
titaness

Post by mnemosyne » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:38 am

mac yosemite 10.10.5 (/me is too skeered to update to el capitain . . . that might give red beard unfettered access; that and like dr. thorvaldt i don't trust tim cook, lol)

oooo, silken's goes to 11?! that's one louder isn't it?

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:44 am

mnemosyne
titaness

Post by mnemosyne » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:59 pm

i love your cartoon, gfips :D you continue to be quite the augur!

so, the working theory is that it is an operating system issue? i've been running with this os and version of lux for quite some time, and its never been an issue in the past. did something change on the lux end that created the bug? also, if its somehow just an os thing, that doesn't really explain how other random and peculiar (and sometimes quite apropos and funny!!) winning messages supersede both the winning messages saved in our preferences and the standard lux winning messages (e.g. 'i work hard for the killing so you better treat me right,' or 'i am the strongest woman in the world.').

thoughts from creator? we just like to be kept in the loop :catrose

m

p.s. if all else fails, we could play 'wheel of fortune' with our winning messages. it arguably could become more popular than mafia :wink:
of course, we would have to charge more for noodles and beans to buy a vowel!

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:03 pm

I'm still happy with your VR ASS mnemo....

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:34 am

To be honest, i have no clue what these problems might cause and i hope Dustin can give the answer (the cartoon is out of context, but I thought it is funny somehow ...). I myself use the windows version and have not yet seen the problem with the winning messages (probably i just win to rarely).

The fact, that there are shown foreign winning messages might be caused by loosing connection. If a bot takes over for a short term and you win after re-entering , then the winning message of the bot is shown instead of yours (at least i think so).
But i have no idea, why there are letters missing in your own winning messages (maybe Lux steals a letter for each turtle round? :smt058).

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:23 pm

hmm, so that screenshot you posted shows social d's winning message, which starts with a block letter, a unicode letter. My thought is that unicode letters (combined with system/network encoding behaviour) may be responsible for this happening

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:59 pm

I don't know... I use the same unicode character in one of my messages, and have had no problems with it thus far.

Also, I don't know if this was made clear... while mnemo sees her message with missing letters, I see it correctly (for the same win). This is true on both the Mac (10.11.6) and on a machine running Windows 10.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:21 pm

if mnemo sees it weird and you see it normal, then it's likely caused by something on mnemo's machine (an OS quirk or encoding plugin or something)

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:37 pm

But, as I said, I did have it happen once on my machine as well. Very baffling.

RogueMonk
Lux Addict

Post by RogueMonk » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:59 pm

I have seen it several times, also.

mnemosyne
titaness

Post by mnemosyne » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:57 pm

its getting worse (i.e. more frequent) . . . here is a message from a bot game i was watching. note: there is no unicode that i can see in the bot's winning message.

and i assure you its not my machine. i just got a new mac last spring, and games (and winning messages) have worked fine with this machine for a few months before things went haywire. old trusty is in near mint condition, and has full functionality (note, rogue monk was seeing the malfunctioning win messages tonight the same way i was).

also, again, that doesn't explain the odd substitute messages that are not mine, nor standard default lux winning messages (unless, 'i am the strongest woman in the world' is a new default lux message that has been added recently).

all i can do it report it; what you do with that info is up to you . . .

:smt102

m

SnyperEye
Anti-Holy Assgrabber

Post by SnyperEye » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:10 pm

What's with you people? Can't you see...Its a Hangman game and I'd like an B please

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor

Post by n00less cluebie » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:01 pm

SnyperEye wrote:What's with you people? Can't you see...Its a Hangman game and I'd like an B please
See here

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:28 pm

Next time you see it, use the Online menu -> Report a Bug menu command to send me a log file. It might have a clue in there.
mnemosyne wrote:(unless, 'i am the strongest woman in the world' is a new default lux message that has been added recently)
This is a bot's winning message since a long time (Pixie or EvilPixie i think).