Baden and the Classic Leaderboard

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
RogueMonk
Lux Addict

Baden and the Classic Leaderboard

Post by RogueMonk » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:55 am

Baden wrote:Look at the actual "Classic Leaderboard" and check what kind of variants of "Classic" are still common.
PJB wrote:If someone shows disrespect to the classic map its you baden. I have tried those horrible settings u love so much and it sucks big time.
If 50% 5,10,15 is so "disrespectful", then why is it included in the monthly classic tourney? Aren't the majority of games 50% 5,10,15? Would there even be an active classic leaderboard without it?

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Re: Baden and the Classic Leaderboard

Post by PJB » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:26 pm

RogueMonk wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:55 am

If 50% 5,10,15 is so "disrespectful", then why is it included in the monthly classic tourney?
Im not a fan of it thats clear. All different settings on the classic map are registered on the monthly classic ranking. Its just how it is, nothing i can do about it at the moment. But everybody can play whatever they want.
Baden wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:24 pm
Are those now ennobled by the mod PJB while he still shows disrespect for a real classic setup?
Playing classic 4,6,8,10,15 0% is disrespectfull according to baden which i find ridiculous. It is as close to the real original risk setting as it can get, how can that be disrespectfull?

Good Roguemonk, you opened another topic to discuss this. I didnt find my tournament annoucement topic the right place to discuss this. Thats why i locked it. Nothing to do with powerabuse. Baden could have opened a new topic about it just like you did. Your Topic which i deleted, showing a woman with her lips sealed with a needle and thread was not appropriate and true to me. I didnt silence Baden i just locked my tournament annoucement topic. For me his discussion has no place in that topic. But feel free to discuss it here.

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:40 pm

It is really not important if you are a fan of a classic variant or not, PJB. But it is not helpful if you call a legal setup bullshit. There are few players around anyway. We have about 50 active classic players monthly at the moment and I guess a major part of them I meet in the classic 5,10,15 room where I risk my raw even in games with only one other human. But sometimes we have even fh games and people enjoy it.

I am pretty sure that classic would be almost dead already without my actual effort to keep it running.

I am not at all interested in a fruitless discussion with you about the topic.

I did expect some support from a mod not harmful and absolutely unneccessary comments that might scare away the last clients of Lux Classic.

Dont quote me wrong please, PJB. I never said something like: "Playing classic 4,6,8,10,15 0% is disrespectfull". I played the version a lot myself. I even played 5,5,5 with 0%. This is the sleeping-car version of Classic that may take hours. I mastered it well vs. shopi who "promoted" and hosted it for years. 5,10,15 50% ist the fast and furious version and the extreme opposite. No stalemates and seldomly the games last more than 12 rounds.

5,10,15 50% is an offer. The major part (including noobs) enjoys the game and nice players are returning. Some dislike it and stay out. What is wrong about?

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:42 pm

PJB wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:26 pm
It is as close to the real original risk setting ...
Enlighten me please: What is "The real original risk setting" ?

The setting of the board game?

The setting you are used to play in the Netherlands?

Bio? Castle? Roman? Imperium? Deux?

I might call my favourite version (5,10,15) now "Bio" as well. No harmful ingredients. Perhaps a bit too bitchy for your nerves?

Do me a favor and stop negative commenting of "classic" Lux versions Dustin makes possible on the setup and tracker. We have hundreds of other versions which are all but "original" or "classic" settings.

I tried some strange maps and settings. Mostly I disliked them and will not play these versions again. But I never went to the forum and cried: "Stop that !". If others have fun. So let it be ...

And: In this case it has no importance at all if you are mod or not. You just have an opinion as everyone here with a normal weight. And luckily you don't set the rules.

Should I say: The "real original risk" was played during the five years (2004-2009) when I was present and you were still absent?

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:26 am

I would like to bring the discussion back to a more objective way. Don't take it personal.

The original card-based setups are more based on skills, while income based-setting tend to be more based on good starts. A good Player will always make the best out of the situation and will see others faults and use them for his own benefits. The marathon Argument is a valid argument. Quick games can be fun too. We should be lucky that Lux has so much potential about different settings :-)

One problem I see in general, is, that income based maps rather more tend to create heated environments with certain players. They are more about tactics of analysing your oppenent and knowing whom and when you can hit. So the results are often "being cool" agreements and threats like "if you hit i will pay back". The line between asshating and just hitting too big income is very thin and so often causes feuds and harressment between players. In card based setups are more about the pure game tactics than about judging right about how your opponents will react. But I see both as different kind of tactics.

I personal clearly prefer playing card-based setups (e.g. the classic map with 4,6,8/0%), but I agree Bio and 50% classic map can also be fun if you have a house with skilled players who know when they have to hit income, who know when to adhoc team to balance, who do not take every move personal and do not just asshat others for fun. It is usually obious when a kill is a good kill. On an highly income based map even a bad player can get an easy win with a good start already and "half kills" even ´might be suitable to win.

I don't think there is a wrong or right. My 2 Cents about it ... I hope to see you all on the battle field :-)