New Map: Roman Empire II

Lux maps won't make themselves.
SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

New Map: Roman Empire II

Post by SunTzu » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:51 pm

ROMAN EMPIRE II: The Punic Wars

The Punic Wars between Rome and Carthage effectively decided the struggle for mastery of the Mediterranean world. Before the first war, Rome was still a purely Italian power; after the last, her writ effectively ran from the Levant to Spain and from the Alps to Tunisia.

DETAILS
10 Provinces, 60 Cities

The provinces bordering the Mediterranean Sea are worth more than the outlying regions.

mud
n00b educator

Post by mud » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:19 pm

I love it. Very well balanced. Your best map yet.

mud

killerabeja
Lux Newbie

Starting scenario

Post by killerabeja » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:33 pm

I would like to hear your reasoning behind the starting scenario placement: specifically on the poor sap who gets jammed in between the carthage states and western africa. While I'm not prepared to unequivically condemn the placement, numerous trials seem to show that this is a no-win position, with this player inevitably being the first to be eliminated, usually by the surrounding player. Now, I've been able to sneak a victory a few times with this position, but that's entirely due to the choice of the surrounding player and the actions of those attacking us.

Taking that you are married to the placement itself, perhaps for some historical reasons (I number among those whose working knowledge of Roman politics is limited to Gladiator extended DvD edition) I would suggest that more armies be given to the player so that there is some fighting chance of breaking out of the initial stranglehold. Let me know.

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:01 am

The starting scenario for this map was meant to generically represent the 6 major cultures at the beginning of the Punic Wars. The starting scenario was not meant to be a balanced position where everybody has the same chance to win.

The starting position you're refering to is the Numidians. Historically, they were incorporated into the Carthaginian Empire.

killerabeja
Lux Newbie

Post by killerabeja » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:53 pm

fair enough, thanks for the info

Augustus Maximus
Lux Addict

Post by Augustus Maximus » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:55 pm

Wow sun, this is such a fun map. Thanks so much!

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:08 am

yea sun tzu u rock8) :bang:

lucashp
Luxer

Post by lucashp » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:41 am

I love it, And i cant stop playing. I play atleast once every hour, Lol.

But in the scnerio, i dont like the bottom part (in the map youve shown, the brown) It only has 4 spaces, and you could probaly defeat them all in the first 2 rounds.

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:02 am

SunTzu wrote:The starting scenario for this map was meant to generically represent the 6 major cultures at the beginning of the Punic Wars. The starting scenario was not meant to be a balanced position where everybody has the same chance to win.

The starting position you're refering to is the Numidians. Historically, they were incorporated into the Carthaginian Empire.
Just think of the Numidians as the "almost impossible" difficulty setting. 8)

lucashp
Luxer

Post by lucashp » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:20 am

oh, I guess that would be a cool way to think about it...

Plus sometimes its fun, who ever is right next to him, you could take out in the early game.. I could see his face right now...

:x... :evil:

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:24 am

This map seriously rocks!!

We've played it a ton during map retro weekend cuz everyone loves it.

One thing that I would for sure change: make the default spot for the integrated player info area the top left corner. This works much better then blocking the islands in the middle.

The theme for the map is clean and clear, and I do think it's very nice as is. If you did want to spice it up a bit, you could add a little emphasis to Rome and Carthage as the 2 big cities. But I have second thoughts about even suggesting this cuz I like the style as it is now.

:smt023 :smt023 :smt023