Lux DLX for iPhone bug reports

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Packman
Loves his dice!

Lux DLX for iPhone bug reports

Post by Packman » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:16 pm

Please post any bugs for this new app here for convenience!

Your input is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Geiler Hengst
Luxer

Post by Geiler Hengst » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:34 pm

I just bought lux for the iphone. It's gr8 fun, but... (I know thats a mixture out of bugs and feature request)

.) Autoscroll would be nice: When you play on larger maps and it's the bots turn you have to basicly find the place where the action happens

.) The bar on the right side doesnt show the right order of turns, which helps to find out whos turn it is right now

.) The Maps are nice, Hawaii is definitly missing, and it would be a good feature, to have the possibility to download the maps without the backgrounds, which are large and take a long time, and dont add a lot to gameplay.

.) It's slow. as in very slow.

.) It would be nice to play with the normal bots and not to have just one unidentified hard bot

.) A back to menu button during the game would definitly help

.) It crashes quite often the move before you win

.) The armies and cards turn as soon as you turn the iphone for around 5°. Thats far too sensitive for me and doesnt help the gameplay.

.) When you cash, you basicly have to scroll around to find your cards. You could make them smaller to fit them always on the screen, even if you have to completly change the graphics and position of then

.) it would be nice to have a max zoom out button, to get a fast overview over the situation.

.) Yea, playing over the internet would be gr8, but so far i havent seen a single iphone game where this really works, so i guess thats rather hard.

.) As playing over the internet isnt in for now, you normally play bots, theregor it would be gr8 to have some kind of statistics for every map.

.) Sometimes countries are hard to click. (e.g. especially GB in the double world map). Even if you zoom in, something seems to be wrong with sensitive area of the countries.

.) The help section looks horrible, i know thats a minor issue but still...

That's it for now. Looking forward for some updates.

Dustin, for case u need a German translation, pm me :-)

mhayes
Lux Newbie

Post by mhayes » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:48 pm

I'm confused why it is slow. If I get knocked out of the game, the AI plays very fast.

darwiniandude
Lux Newbie

Post by darwiniandude » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:39 am

mhayes wrote:I'm confused why it is slow. If I get knocked out of the game, the AI plays very fast.
Then it must just be you... :lol:

Kidding :)

beefcake
Lux Newbie

Post by beefcake » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:11 pm

DLX really feels a lot slower then the first free version of iphone-Lux... Still the best iphone game out there though... :)

darwiniandude
Lux Newbie

Post by darwiniandude » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:39 pm

Yeah, it needs optimization in places, but worth persisting with in the meantime.

Anyway, I guess we should try and keep this thread on topic.

The only real bug I've encountered was on an extended 2 human player game of the world map. I was teaching the game to one of my nephews (who loved it once he understood the game) and so I was going easy on him and teaching strategy. Anyway, a couple of pieces of land suddenly became unobtainable, with any troup count. I ended up with one piece of land which he attacked, and instead of me dying it showed minus numbers, eg I had minus 18 groups.

Only happened once though, and I emailer the dev details and screenshot before I knew the forum was here.

tbanucci
Lux Newbie

Post by tbanucci » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:24 am

Best game ever, no matter how many bugs!

- Sometimes after playing for a while, the army numbers disappear. The game is still playable, but I have no idea how many armies are in each country.

- Large maps can get increasingly slow, which almost seems like a memory heap overflow. Which doesn't make sense when this thing has 8 GB free memory.

- Some maps won't load sometimes, like the Arms Race and USA Warzone maps. They loaded the first time I played them, but not since. When opening them, it starts placing random countries, then crashes.

- Speaking of crashes, they come often. I noticed if I restart my iPhone completely, gameplay is usually better in this respect.

- Some countries are impossible to select or attack, like in the Arrgh Matey map (sp?)

For feature requests, Internet gameplay and more maps would be awesome.

darwiniandude
Lux Newbie

Post by darwiniandude » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:08 am

I'm sure the next update will aid stability, but it's a great game as is. You're quite right about restarting the phone first, you see the iPhone has 128mb Ram, and (I believe) no swap space. Some apps and games don't play nice and release all their ram on exit, hence a restart helping things sometimes. The iPhone OS will force quit an app asking for unrealstic amounts of ram, rather than freezing the phone and preventing incomming calls. Future iPhone software updates should help too.

bnorton
Lux Newbie

iPhone Lux DLX crashes on resume

Post by bnorton » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:02 am

iPhone Lux DLX crashes on resume but only when I have played a longer game.
Early in the game... no crash.

When 'Cash' armies get up in the 100's it crashes when I try to 'resume game'.
This is a consistent error, not intermittent.

iTouch 2G, 32 GB
Version 2.2(5G77a)
Thanks for help.

Sheldo83
Lux Newbie

Post by Sheldo83 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Not exactly a bug, but on the Map "To the Power of Hex" you cannot really see the white connection lines very well.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:55 pm

To The Power Of Hex map connection lines have been fixed. Uninstall and re-install to get the new version on your phone.

The AI speed slider has Fastest on the Left side FYI.

Thanks for all your reports. We're working to update the app with improvements.

DrWJODonnell
Lux Newbie

Post by DrWJODonnell » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:26 am

loved Lux touch. Use Lux DLX now and am disappointed at the number of crashes and the lag. However, I wish to report that the "Arms Race" map has never gotten me past two rounds without crashing with no recovery possible.

mcentry
Lux Newbie

Slow

Post by mcentry » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:18 pm

Wow, honestly I loved the Lux Touch demo. I was really anticipating Lux Dlx, but I am deeply disappointed that SillySoft released such a flawed piece of software. As a software development manager, I feel many of the bugs mentioned could not be anticipated and are normal for a V1 release. However, the slowness and lag is absolutely unacceptable. I really could not fathom releasing a product like this to my customers - the only positive for Sillysoft is they get paid first (to download the app); otherwise the revenue stream would be about 20% of what you are seeing.

C'mon guys .. who made the decision to push this to market? Purely financial and an absolute disregard for your consumers. Ridiculous.

macleod
Lux Newbie

Post by macleod » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:26 pm

well, i was playing in a very big map (1.9mb downloaded, the big castle one) and one of the computers got a -3 (because it had a couple of bridges). the problem is, when it turned his turn again, it just simply didnt do nothing. i can scroll the map, se everything, but its like he doesnt want to play anymore :p

dont know if this was reported already, but thats a big bad bug (i was winning grrrr).

another thing: pleeease make it faster (A)

metalfish
Lux Newbie

Post by metalfish » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:11 am

Playing on a ipod touch (the one without volume buttons)

- Sound doesn´t work (no sounds, not matter slider is on "1" oder "0", or music is playing or not)

-sometimes, when i press "resume" after i left Lux touch dlx, i get the right map, but if i just started it new... everything is resetted.. this happens not often, but i had that 3 times already. Dont know which map that was.. it was one with a big castle in the middle, and bridges top right and bottom left...

prickeke
Lux Newbie

Bugs in Lux DLX

Post by prickeke » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:00 pm

Bugs (on an iPhone 3G):

- My games never resume, they always start from the beginning. Maybe I just don't know how to save them, can someone explain or look into this as a bug? I haven't tried to resume on the classic map yet, but I have tried on a Castle map and USA War zone.

- Gameplay is VERY slow, honestly it is unplayable. I am VERY disappointed after playing Lux Touch and paying 7.99 for the Lux DLX. I am tempted to write a negative review in iTunes App store.

- I think part of the slow-ness causes (or a completely separate issue) the turn indicator to never change.

metalfish
Lux Newbie

Post by metalfish » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:46 am

@prickeke did you try to put the AI speed slider to the far left?

@resumeproblem: It was the map "castle Lux: the last king"

prickeke
Lux Newbie

AI Slider

Post by prickeke » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:54 pm

@metalfish: I moved the slider way to the far left before I ever played a game (when I first downloaded it). I had never tried it in any other setting, until now. I just moved it back to the middle. Surprisingly it feels a little bit faster but it is still too slow.

The game is slow in the following areas:
1. AI moves REALLY slowly
2. Placing reinforcements is incredibly unresponsive and slow
3. Accepting card exchanges is so slow it even draws the screen slowly (or makes it look really weird somehow).

I really feel like this should have been an alpha version or something and I feel like a guinea pig paying the $7.99. I guess that is one nice thing about the app store: updates are free.

prickeke
Lux Newbie

Post by prickeke » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:50 pm

@metalfish: I moved the slider way to the far left
I meant far RIGHT! (Which I assumed to be the "fastest" AI).

prickeke
Lux Newbie

Game Speed

Post by prickeke » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:57 pm

@metalfish:

Okay, I put my slider to the far LEFT, officially, now. The AI moves QUITE fast. I read some other replies and it made me realize that the slider to the left makes the AI faster, not slower. This is VERY counter-intuitive and I would even consider this a bug. I shouldn't have to come to a website forum to figure that out.

@others
You can cross AI speed as one of the slow aspects of this game though, it is quite fast.

I realized another thing that makes the game feel very sluggish. Battling. In the Lux Touch (the free version I have been playing for many months now) the battles feel very real time, each tap does a battle and the explosions occur right as you tap. With this version there is a significant delay that makes me feel that the game is very sluggish.

leero29
Lux Newbie

RESUME option

Post by leero29 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:15 am

Hi all,

on my iphone RESUME never works, every time i quit a game by just pressing the iphone home button and restart lux dlx and choose RESUME the map i was playing on opens but the scenario starts from scratch.

So far the only real issue that really bothers me.

Cheers, L29

james
Lux Newbie

Resume Bug

Post by james » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:45 am

I love Lux Delux on my iphone, and I never heard of it until I got the free version and played that a million times over. I loved it.

I, like others here, were dissapointed at how slow Lux Delux was when I first played it. I then figured out the 'AI speed' option and slide the bar left making the game actually playable. I felt stupid for wasting my time waiting for the AI for a couple of games that ended up taking hours! My suggestion would be

1. Consider changing the default when first installed to be in the middle. not to fast and not to slow.
2. As suggested above, the slider does not indicate which way is faster or slower. I would consider this a intuitiveness 'bug'.

Other than that, which i got over, there is one bug that is KILLING me.

It is the resume bug. A few other people mentioned it above here including leero29.

If I press the home button so I can do something else for a moment because I got a text message or something...and then I go back to the game and click 'resume from last game'. The game starts with the same map I was playing, but at the beginning! My 30 minutes of progress is instantly gone! This is soooo aggravating! I can only play the game if I can designate a block of time when I won't be bothered by something.

I have a 1st gen iphone (not the 3G). 8GB
software 2.2.1

please fix!!

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:54 pm

Lux DLX update 1.1 should be released the first week of March, and will fix a number of the things you mention.

The save-resume bug can be avoided if you don't use scenario start mode for now.

Acidsniper
Lux Newbie

Post by Acidsniper » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:30 pm

Hey Dustin,

Ok, so I agree with most people above that Lux Dlx definately needs to be optimized better. If you can Dustin check out a prog called "FreeMemory" I think it is, it's a prog that clears out your memory cache to make your iPhone run quicker (like restarting). Don't know if there's anything there that might help you optimise.

Other than the actual stability and lagginess of the game, it's awesome, keep up the great work and I highly look forward to an update.

Thanks!

feef
Lux Newbie

Post by feef » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:55 am

I've recently upgraded to DLX from the lite version and yes, it runs so Slooooowly.

Even after doing a hard reset, it's still dog slow. (iPhone 1.1 with latest firmware)

other than that, no complaints beyond a couple of feature requests

a

feef
Lux Newbie

Re: Resume Bug

Post by feef » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:00 am

james wrote:I, like others here, were dissapointed at how slow Lux Delux was when I first played it. I then figured out the 'AI speed' option and slide the bar left making the game actually playable. I felt stupid for wasting my time waiting for the AI for a couple of games that ended up taking hours! My suggestion would be
I can't seem to get the AI Speed slider to move.. it's stuck all the way over to the right, and doesn't move.

a

leero29
Lux Newbie

Lux DLX 1.1

Post by leero29 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:27 am

Lux DLX 1.1 successfully solves the perfomance and save/resume problems!

EXCELLENT!
leero

NickB
Lux Newbie

Post by NickB » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:49 am

Loving 1.1, have finally deleted Lux Touch now the speed issues have been resolved (far beyond what I expected, well done!). I've found there are a couple of fairly common bugs, but hopefully these are easy fixes:

1. The status box and the force bar at the side which show the number of armies are often wrong. In the info box this is usually the wrong colour being represented and the box being the wrong size. This occurs when starting a second game of a session, closing the app and restarting fixes it, so I assume something isn't being cleared between games.

2. I've had one occasion on the Classic Touch map where the continent bonuses weren't being awarded, however I've not been able to get this to repeat.

Other than those couple of slight annoyances, the 1.1 update is brilliant.
Nick

VoodooVyper
Lux Newbie

Post by VoodooVyper » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:18 pm

Made a new thread before I noticed this sticky. Here's the link to my bug: http://sillysoft.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16600

tbanucci
Lux Newbie

Post by tbanucci » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:27 am

I have had the same problems as NickB. No bonuses being rewarded at times, and upon second game, the information for each team is screwed up.

Additionally, it seems as though the card bonuses are growing too fast. I have it set to 4,6,8,10... but it seems like on the first bonus, I am getting 20 or 25, and then 55.