Griefing

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Lantern
Lux Superhero

Griefing

Post by Lantern » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:35 pm

Since becoming a mod I have been asked numerous times as to what griefing is and how can they get in trouble for griefing.

"A griefer is a player who plays the game in order to irritate and harass other players, rather than to win."

I found this definition of griefing on Wikipedia and I think it pretty much sums up what it is.

It's a good read for everyone and if you are doing anything related to this don't be surprised if you are called on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griefer

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Grief

Post by Behemoth » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:58 am

I read the link on griefing Lantern. The criteria used to define greifing is quite specific. It seems to me there are two types of players in lux who fit the technical definition of a griefer -

*Any host who uses his/her role to cancel or rs a game to prevent genuine wins taking place. Any player who acts as host and does the same thing.
*Any Player who uses multiple accounts to play online at the same time and uses the advantage to eliminate other players or create chaos.

But it’s the broader definition of griefing that I think applies mostly to lux. This includes a player who doesn’t abuse the software or has multiple accounts but whose sole objective is to harass players and stymie their chances of winning. This player does not care about winning, they just don't want others to succeed.

There are quite a few regular players in rome who fit this description. Over the last few weeks I think one or two of them have become worse than ever. I'm finding that playing during the week day (your night) is when it's most evident.

It's a pity because enjoyment in the game evaporates when these players are online. To avoid them is almost impossible as they are regulars.

Unfortunately it’s Trinket’s solution that makes most sense to me (from previous post)

‘These players enjoy that part of the game .... your reaction... to them
suiciding .... they are more interested in killing you than winning
don't give them the satisfaction .....
just stop playing them or stop playing lux .... its the only cure ....

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:18 pm

Please help us stop the griefing, and send an email or PM to me or a mod that reports who the problem players are. We can't be everywhere all the time, so your reports are needed.

Every report won't result in action, but the more info we get on griefers the more likely we are to remove them from lux.

puppy
Lux Pup Ty

Post by puppy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:10 pm

Good Link

Griefers differ from typical players in that they do not play the game in order to achieve objectives defined by the game world. Instead, they seek to harass other players, causing grief. In particular, they may use tools such as harrying, hurling insults, and exploiting unintended game mechanics

Pretty much sums it up. :smt023

puppy
Lux Pup Ty

Post by puppy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:00 am

dustin wrote:Every report won't result in action, but the more info we get on griefers the more likely we are to remove them from lux.
There's one Griefer in every 6 players, we'ld never have a full house :lol:

SmotPoker
Lux Addict

Post by SmotPoker » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:56 am

I think the opposite of greifing should also be punishable.

For example: 1. I didn't kill johnny first because he farmed for me last game when no one else would.

2. I purposely killed the ( bob ) first because ( John ) is my friend.

--------

I think if you can be punished for purposely going after someone to kill them ( asshat aka greifing ) it's only fair if you purposely avoid killing someone for any reason should be just as punishable.

Moiz
Mr. Chatterbox

Post by Moiz » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:03 am

rottenboy wrote:
I think if you can be punished for purposely going after someone to kill them ( asshat aka greifing ) it's only fair if you purposely avoid killing someone for any reason should be just as punishable.

Doesn't that fall under the "No Teaming" rule
IE: Moiz doesn't kill rottenboy because are friends?

obviously we'd both be teaming, seeing as a one-way team doesn't ever work out :p

juveke
lux veteran

Re: Griefing

Post by juveke » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:00 am

Lantern wrote:Since becoming a mod I have been asked numerous times as to what griefing is and how can they get in trouble for griefing.

"A griefer is a player who plays the game in order to irritate and harass other players, rather than to win."
If i'm just watching a game, not playing, it is ok to say "you can hit x player"? or "farm EU, ..."?

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:24 am

juveke wrote:
Lantern wrote:Since becoming a mod I have been asked numerous times as to what griefing is and how can they get in trouble for griefing.

If i'm just watching a game, not playing, it is ok to say "you can hit x player"? or "farm EU, ..."?
Actually that rule doesn't apply to what you mentioned.

it's rather for those who are in game and with their actions harass others.

if a guest in the room starts mentioning suggestions of moves. a player in game has the option to follow them or not. he also can politely ask that person not give directions for moves concerning himself. if that person refuses to act like a sideline coach, you always have the option to mute him.

If his directions are meant for someone else, then simply leave it to that other person to express whether he wants advice or not.
Last edited by Enokrad on Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

juveke
lux veteran

Post by juveke » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:40 pm

I agree with you Enokrad.

I was making some coments concerning the game options and i suggest to hit a square belonging to a player (mod xxx). I got a warning from that xxx mod that i was griefing and he was going to report me ...

but it is ok, i just want to get all the points of view so i don't mess with nobody.

have fun

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:19 pm

juveke wrote:If i'm just watching a game, not playing, it is ok to say "you can hit x player"? or "farm EU, ..."?
This is a different issue from griefing. Depending on the circumstances it could be annoying backseat luxing, or useful education for the player. If you do it, make it educational and explain yourself.

juveke
lux veteran

Post by juveke » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:25 pm

Dustin, I do understand what you mean :D

I try not to be anoying (it sounds hard to believe ... i know), i only suggested to hit a particular spot that i thaught it would be an advantage.

i do need to stay away from mods, at least from those who don't like me ... :smt018

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:45 am

www.wisegeek.com wrote:While some people use the term “griefer” more generically to describe anyone who causes grief or disruption in an online game, most people use the term specifically to refer to people who do so deliberately, taking pleasure from their actions and consequences. A griefer establishes a gaming account and a character with the sole purpose of creating chaos, rather than occasionally or unintentionally causing disruption. This distinction is meant to separate people with aggressive game styles who genuinely enjoy playing the game and interacting with others from griefers.
/me thinks Aggressive game style needs be added to the list of bannable offences.

Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

Post by Enzo1997 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:50 am

RESOLVED
Last edited by Enzo1997 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:55 am

Really?
Lantern wrote: "A griefer is a player who plays the game in order to irritate and harass other players, rather than to win."

pls
Lux Eldest

Post by pls » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:53 pm

dustin wrote:
juveke wrote:If i'm just watching a game, not playing, it is ok to say "you can hit x player"? or "farm EU, ..."?
This is a different issue from griefing. Depending on the circumstances it could be annoying backseat luxing, or useful education for the player. If you do it, make it educational and explain yourself.
Thanks for providing another reminder of why I stopped playing this game, juveke.

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:35 am

grieving: deep mental anguish over the loss of Behemoth for three days, while Hot Gates II was MOTW.

Milltycoon
Bagels with Lux

Post by Milltycoon » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:04 pm

@Moiz:
That isn't always 2 people teaming. If I have an income of 54 and decide not to kill my friend, and my friend has an income of 4, he _can't_ kill me. So it might be "teaming" on my end (though I don't think it necessarily is) and not on his end. He has no choice.