Open letter to the Sillysoft Community, RE: personal attacks

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
the tide
:D

Open letter to the Sillysoft Community, RE: personal attacks

Post by the tide » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:05 pm

Dear fellow Luxers,

In recent weeks, tempers have flared. While this is not necessarily anything new, the increasing frequency of personal attacks has raised a poignant question amongst your Moderators: whether or not to allow a contentious topic to run its course - and allow a few personal slights to occur - in the hope that disagreements can be resolved amongst yourselves without intervention. Who wants mods to tell you what you can and cannot 'say'? Not us!

But with the recent rash of personal attacks which exacerbate disagreements and prove destructive to our community, we, as your Moderators, feel compelled to address the situation. We will be far more strict in the coming weeks in hopes of quelling personal affronts on our Sillysoft forums.

Please follow the rules:
-Personal attacks will NOT be tolerated
-we encourage the use of PMs to settle disagreements
-we encourage the use of the Host rating system to 'voice' opinions
-And remember, we're all human and going to screw up, so let us all remember our humility (this includes your Mods)

(please do not confuse complaints and personal attacks. We fully believe Luxers have the ability to decipher the difference)

Sincerely,
Your 'Mod Squad'

pls
Lux Eldest

Re: Open letter to the Sillysoft Community, RE: personal att

Post by pls » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:35 pm

the tide wrote:...(please do not confuse complaints and personal attacks. We fully believe Luxers have the ability to decipher the difference)
... And as for the dysfunctional Luxers, who never should have been introduced to the Internet in the first place, please step in as soon as you possibly can and deal with them. You have my full support. Without a little "police action" now and then, this wonderful Lux community will be overrun by bullies. I don't want to see that, and thanks in advance for your efforts.

Blind Willie
Lux Veteran

Post by Blind Willie » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:37 pm

THANK YOU MOD SQUAD!

I almost started a thread yesterday asking the mods to exert a little more control. The forums have never been the friendliest place in the world, but lately they have become downright bitter, nasty, and juvenile. Nobody needs to trudge through pages of name calling and poo flinging to find the relevant points in a thread.

It's also important for people to remember that the forums are very much part of the public face of Lux. Anyone researching Lux before they buy it can visit the forums and see what the online community is about. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the recent threads have discouraged potential Luxers.

I look foward to seeing a little more supervision on the playground.

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:26 pm

HEY YOU - be a liitle more careful with that black SUV, young man!

Kurtz
Mouth of Madness

Post by Kurtz » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:07 pm

Hey - Be nice - He's blind....

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:53 pm

I agree, we need no mutual insults.

But why not a "proper" attack or defense? Some topics are interesting for the whole community. So pm's aren't a solution in any case. Don't take out the spice of the forums.

molideha

Post by molideha » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:19 pm

this is good stuff...bravo.

now, a question for the mods;

my post today on r@wb (aka ash the bash)...grade it so we can have an example of acceptable, borderline and crossing the line;

A) molideha's post on r@wb crossed the line and is an example of what will not be permitted in the future.

B) molideha's post on r@wb was borderline.

C) molideha's post on r@wb is acceptable. it was not a malicious attack and served a purpose for the community.

keep up the good work guys...thx in advance,
M

michelle
Lux Elder
Location: With mb, sas & Aqua at dustin's luxurious retirement village for ex-mods

Post by michelle » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:23 pm

I feel that it was borderline and could have been handled via PM rather than a post in the forums IMO

M

molideha

Post by molideha » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:27 pm

ok..fair enough...but i must say this (and i say while i laugh as i type)..we are talking about r@wb...lol...ok..deal...i will pm r@wb and "talk reason and civility" next time...lol

thx M...point taken :-)

cheers,
M

danmax
Lux Veteran

Post by danmax » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:30 pm

I think the Mods are doing fine just like it is. Their jobs come down to judgement calls. The forums are fine just like they are. If things get out of hand, the Mods handle it. It's entertaining and fun to read and watch these threads develop. It's not broken, so what needs fixing? If posters go overboard, they will get modded.

smedz
Lux Scotsman

Post by smedz » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:17 am

Does this mean the tide will stop attacking my scottishness ?

rob
Lux Addict

Post by rob » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:36 pm

too many oversensitive wankars

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:46 am

rob wrote:too many oversensitive wankars
/me chuckles to himself

furball
Luxer

Post by furball » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:39 pm

the tide wrote:(please do not confuse complaints and personal attacks. We fully believe Luxers have the ability to decipher the difference)
hmm, that conclusion seems a tad optimistic ...

El Che
Luxer

Post by El Che » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:28 pm

the tide wrote: But with the recent rash of personal attacks which exacerbate disagreements and prove destructive to our community, we, as your Moderators, feel compelled to address the situation. We will be far more strict in the coming weeks in hopes of quelling personal affronts on our Sillysoft forums.
Point well taken. Sorry if I offended anyone other than the intended target.

But I find it interesting that you or other moderators seem to step in after <Name Withheld as not point a finger at paranoiarodeo > starts to get called on his BS. The guy goes through the forums attacking everyone about anything and you let it slide until someone has had enough. You didn’t seem to have a problem with the thread when <*********> made false accusations and started to sling the shite. It was only after someone finally had enough of the person’s personal attacks. Go back in forums and you will see the same person spewing this crap to everyone that might threaten his little Thief Dom. I typically ignore the &&$%^@$$#%#, but today I was in a mood.

Viva La Revolocion

Happy Holiday to all.

michelle
Lux Elder
Location: With mb, sas & Aqua at dustin's luxurious retirement village for ex-mods

Post by michelle » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:33 pm

yes but we all have jobs, kids, lives, and can not be in the forums every second of everyday, we catch thing when we do not in the instant in which it is posted, we try to be fair and even.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:07 pm

Bahumfeck ... even when I toss around a few friendly comments, like congratulating people on their first weekly medal or numerical milestone, folks still find reasons to pile on and give me shite ... damned if I do, damned if I don't sort of situation ...

Maybe I shouldn't have given << Name withheld >> trouble for resurrecting the circle jerking something or others thread ... but being a true believer of the most holy sideshow carnival of RAW ... it is my duty to defend against the slanderous old wives tales that some wayward souls continue to perpetuate ...

So there ... boomshakalaka or something ... and yea ...

As for the original Che ... didn't Castro toss him from the Cuban island, encourage his eventual execution in an abandoned school house, ignore stories of his dead body being flaunted to reporters in a dirty laundry tub ... and, worst of all, pretend that he didn't know Che had been buried underneath some ghost town airstrip in Bolivia ... ?!

Yikes ... no wonder the man and the myth are legendary ... maybe we should start another thread in his honor ...

Sir Holo
Old Skool Lurker

Post by Sir Holo » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:53 pm

michelle wrote:yes but we all have jobs, kids, lives. ...
Speak for yourself, dear. :D

michelle
Lux Elder

Post by michelle » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:45 am

Sir Holo wrote:
michelle wrote:yes but we all have jobs, kids, lives. ...
Speak for yourself, dear. :D
UHM..........I was speaking about the mods

magpie
Goat Avenger
Location: Riding with the League of Extraordinary Anti Goatfecking Gentlemen ...

Post by magpie » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:45 am

/me thinks the mods are doing a great job, don't know if they have decided to become more tuff. all i know is they are doing a great job!!

/me bows to the mods and says keep up the good job on the shitty job hehehe

:twisted:

jelly
∞ jelly jiggles ∞

Post by jelly » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:10 am

After thinking about this for a bit, I do think you guys are doing a good job! Although, I try to stay away from most of the dumb threads.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:18 am

∞ paranoiarodeo recommends jelly should go stand in the corner and think about what he has done ∞

magpie
Goat Avenger
Location: Riding with the League of Extraordinary Anti Goatfecking Gentlemen ...

Post by magpie » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:14 am

yep should have been...

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:23 am

:shock:

Uh oh ... maybe it's time to lock this sticky ...

fluffernuffer
Lux Elder

Post by fluffernuffer » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:43 pm

magpie wrote:yep should have been...

:lol: :lol: :lol: you're killin me! love the little drawing in the corner

jelly
∞ jelly jiggles ∞

Post by jelly » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:40 pm

magpie wrote:yep should have been...

Funny Stuff :D

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:01 pm

∞ paranoiarodeo ignores the ethereal echos of his former delusions ∞

the tide

Post by the tide » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

...and we're all so happy about that

riverside
Lux Newbie

last post...for para

Post by riverside » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:00 am

I do admire your play and your ability to charm...that is the essence of diplomacy and power. There are plenty of people who don't like your tactics that just pop in once in awhile to have fun. We all have different reasons for playing. The problem I have is that are RAW driven, and despite for protestations you only like to play against high ranking people. Which is fine...just don't make me wait to try to get in when you are gonna start entire game. If you don't want me there, just tell me. Don't do the secret IM stuff with other high ranking people. DON'T WASTE MY FUCKING TIME IS ALL I ASK.

Ya, in reaction to your crap, I was obnoxious, but you have the mute button. Why kick me out, when I didn't suicide or be an asshat? You have failed to answer that question. :lol:

smedz
Lux Scotsman

Post by smedz » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:13 am

Recent events have me driven to enquire what the exact policy on dispute resolution is:

I whole heartidly agree that filling the forums with complaints on players and their actions is thoroughly tedious, I appreciate that a certain No.1 seed and I have been having a pop at each other for months. I think most people here understand our "debate" and thus we will probably both find it easy to back off each other ..... for a while :o What I am more concerned with is the attitude of the community regards genuine problem players. One - who will remain nameless, for fear of this turning into a persoanl attack - seems to spend his game playing time being throughly unpleasant and vindictive, whenever anyone calls him on it, they are subjected to a tirade of abuse and then if they choose to tackle the issue privately, boy does the player get personal. In recent pm's from this player, I had the pleasure of reading personal attacks on family members.

I have no option to block a sender, thus the community attitude seems to be; "keep your shit out of the forums, we're not interested, however we will do nothing to prevent the kind of harrassment certain players dish out privately"

I am more than capable of looking after myself, however not all players are and I am fearful that this growing trend of abuse, banning, booting and retribution will consume the whole community, if left unchecked.

In recent days we have had players hijacking the host ratings seemingly intent on getting 3 hosts banned, for what reason? To satisfy some kind of personal grudge, I do not yet know who was responsible for this, but they must be pretty damned sad to have spent an entire day registering 60+ accounts and then use them all to vote us negatively. He must have been mighty pissed off when the ratings remained yellow.

This attitude has, in my opinion, only really surfaced in the last 4 or 5 months and seems to be getting worse, as new players are sucked into the raw obsession that seems to drive so many disputes.

Is there any way that we cn have a system of public/private warnings to show that players actions are not acceptable. I know how frustrating it can be, trying to resolve a dispute as it turns into a bun fight. I applaud ulfy - who is a heck of a nice guy - for posting the forum thread, surprise surprise a certain chap with a persecution complex as big as his ego, has to suggest the thread is false. How many players have to complain about the same thing, before action is taken.

We all want a forum free from such abuse, we all want games free from such abuse. We all appreciate that such an idylic situation is unlikely, but can we not do something about repeat offenders?

If you wish to retrospectively apply a punishment to previous guilty parties, I am more than willing to serve time for personal attacks, just dont stick me in the same cell as Corey :wink:

I do believe that as a community we should stand up against the kind of crap that is being dished out and not simply hope it will go away.

I am not entirely sure this has come out as intended, having said - so little of what i type does!

Thank you

Concerned of Glasgow