No Dice Option

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
Mike
Lux Townie

No Dice Option

Post by Mike » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:42 pm

Ok - I know you want to make Castle Vox as simple as possible - and perhaps this is a suggestion for Castle Vox 2.0 - Diplomacy edition...

I love Lux, I love games, the one thing that irritates me is the in ability of a computer to randomly generate results that I expect.. ;)

What is there was a no-dice option, that worked like the game Diplomacy

You still have 2 units -

Infantry and Cavalry -

Its pure numbers - work out how the cavalary are counted in the attacks, and it might be a great variant.

For example - Cavalry have the 2 space move advantage. When defending they act just like an infantry - when Attacking they act like having 3 infantry.

So if 5 infantry and 2 cavalry attack 10 Infantry - the result is 1 cavalry from the attacking team is left over.

If however, the 10 infantry attack the 5 infantry and 2 cavalry, 3 infantry for the attacking team are leftover.

Thoughts?

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:31 pm

So 1 knight vs 3 soldiers, who wins? Both dead or stalemate

If I remember correctly, in Diplomacy when a stalemate occurs, all sides stay where they are, no change. That would be kinda neat.

However, a problem I see with that approach is when armies start getting large the math will be hard to keep track of for the user.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:21 am

Well, the dice rules in castle vox have some randomness in them, but it uses a low-luck system, so that battles with many units will mostly work out how the odds say they should.

GregM
Luxer

Post by GregM » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:58 pm

What exactly are the rules for battles? I saw you calculated some expected outcomes for various battles in another thread but how do those numbers come out of the attack and defense values? How is randomness introduced?