Imperium Romanum, Vox edition

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Imperium Romanum, Vox edition

Post by Lupus ferox » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:19 am

Working on this one now....

Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Post by Lupus ferox » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Although the theme is almost ready, i'm hesitating now since i stumbled over this map.

What do you guys/girl think? Continue or rs?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:35 am

Hmmm... I think a straight-up port of Imperium Romanum Expletus would work for vox, without changing the country layout at all, and the theme just a little.

I don't want all the first maps for Vox to be lux conversions, but IR Expletus is one that I would like to see carried over, to show some similarity is there.

Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Post by Lupus ferox » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:17 pm

This is it. It needs a bit of fine tuning. And unit graphics... It uploaded... I certainly would appreciate some testing...

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:44 pm

Lupus ferox wrote: I certainly would appreciate some testing...
So would I. :wink:

Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Post by Lupus ferox » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:41 pm

This is a funny world. More map makers than players.......

GregM
Luxer

Post by GregM » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:59 pm

Neat, is this the biggest map so far? Impressions after a first game:

Starting with no armies is interesting and gives a slow start with exponential troop buildup as the map gets claimed. The Anglosaxons seem pretty confined and might be at a disadvantage since the Galicians block them from getting much territory in the initial land grab. That probably hurts the Galicians too, since the Anglosaxons will probably focus on trying to take over their castle.

I don't know if others would agree, but it's been my impression in playing Vox maps that, all other things being equal, it's difficult to hold territory that is closer to your opponent's castle than to yours (even by a single move, on smaller maps). Thus each territory has a sort of "default" owner--the player with the closest castle. It might be good to balance maps by making each player's "default" income similar (if the scenario is supposed to be balanced). My impression is that the East Romans have a lot of default income, while the Anglosaxons have very little.

The colors for the Vandals and West Romans are a maybe bit too similar. Egyptian and Galician colors might also be too close but they're less likely to come into immediate contact. Brightening all the colors might help with this, if it doesn't kill the look you're going for.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:47 pm

Lupus ferox wrote:This is a funny world. More map makers than players.......
It is possible for mapmakers to scratch each others back and actually test and give feedback to others maps. :wink:

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:23 pm

When I'm more familiar with the maps I'm happy to pass on my thoughts. To be honest I haven't played any one map enough yet.

Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Post by Lupus ferox » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:47 am

GregM wrote:Neat, is this the biggest map so far? Impressions after a first game:

Starting with no armies is interesting and gives a slow start with exponential troop buildup as the map gets claimed. The Anglosaxons seem pretty confined and might be at a disadvantage since the Galicians block them from getting much territory in the initial land grab. That probably hurts the Galicians too, since the Anglosaxons will probably focus on trying to take over their castle.

I don't know if others would agree, but it's been my impression in playing Vox maps that, all other things being equal, it's difficult to hold territory that is closer to your opponent's castle than to yours (even by a single move, on smaller maps). Thus each territory has a sort of "default" owner--the player with the closest castle. It might be good to balance maps by making each player's "default" income similar (if the scenario is supposed to be balanced). My impression is that the East Romans have a lot of default income, while the Anglosaxons have very little.

The colors for the Vandals and West Romans are a maybe bit too similar. Egyptian and Galician colors might also be too close but they're less likely to come into immediate contact. Brightening all the colors might help with this, if it doesn't kill the look you're going for.
Thanks Greg. I did win as Brits and French against bots. So it can work. But indeed, I was thinking about getting rid of Paris or London and put a city and castle in Spain somewhere. Would that help?

Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Post by Lupus ferox » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:07 am

I got rid of London and introduced Olipsia, which is now Lisbon. The borders are terrible now because of map editing, i'll fix this when this new setup works better... It'll take me two hours full time to do the realigning.....

Grmbl....

Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Post by Lupus ferox » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:56 am

The map is balanced now. Good for hours of fun...

I tested it by running 6 polymath2 bots.... 6 runs, 6 different winners...

Next is unit graphics, and when you are all satisfied, border realignment...

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:05 am

dustin wrote:I don't want all the first maps for Vox to be lux conversions, but IR Expletus is one that I would like to see carried over, to show some similarity is there.
What about the Dark Ages? :shock:

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:38 pm

The shield countries in The Dark Ages are probably too small for Vox. So a straight port of that may not be feasible.

I do want to have a few epically large maps for Vox though...

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:44 pm

What if the shields were castles and moved around a bit?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:20 pm

That could be cool.