wish list...

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

wish list...

Post by blackj3sus » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:48 pm

an app or widget or something that alerts me when someone joins a fast play server.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:50 am

what about the sound effect?

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:19 am

make it something like alert.wav so i can change it to a star trek sound

:lol:

but some type of trumpeting noise would be cool.

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:22 am

This is a great game Dustin and I just wanted to add my wish list...

I would like the diplomacy in this game evolved. Why not make it so teams can be made and broken mid game? That way it would make team games more of a challenge. As it is right now it is really as if two players are playing each other, slightly Schizophrenic but still just two opponents. If you made it so teams could be joined and left mid game it would change the dynamics dramatically. If you left a team any armies sharing would instantly fight and resolve. Maybe this could be a hosting option/variation.

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:30 am

After playing last night I have another couple of wishes.

1. a team talk button to toggle on and off team talk. It is not obvious to a new player that they can team talk and it is easy to forget to type /t at a crucial moment. To be able to toggle it on and off would make this a more intuitive system.

2. A surrender button. Again it is not obvious that you can surrender and so people don't tend to do it. Thus games can drag on for quite a while for no reason.

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:24 pm

agree with all deejay's stuff.

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:44 pm

I was curious about the "surrender" after last night, too. Also, although djdee makes a valid point about "tricky" team chat, it is so much fun to see it actually happen. Just imagine all of the facepalms we will miss...

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:42 pm

i didn't even know about any of those two features until mb told be about the /surrender and jes about the /t

And i was wondering for a while why jes font color was green.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:51 pm

Hopefully as the game continues to be played, these features will become more well known.

There's a surrender menu command under the Game menu fyi. Can be used in offline games too.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:16 pm

A few players suggested a change to Bushido was in order. I've uploaded a new map file (theme is the same) with different team pairings.

Hope the balance is more even now, no promises though it's hard to tell using bots to test it.

drSnuggles
Luxer

Post by drSnuggles » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:09 pm

Thanks, Sir. I already had a few games and it feels more even.

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:31 pm

i wish i could play the team maps as free for all as well.

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:53 pm

dustin wrote:Hopefully as the game continues to be played, these features will become more well known.

There's a surrender menu command under the Game menu fyi. Can be used in offline games too.
It gives an advantage to experienced players over noobs and I think will lead to more angry players if you just leave them as "known" features.

Maybe in a future version?

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:05 pm

djdee wrote:
dustin wrote:Hopefully as the game continues to be played, these features will become more well known.

It gives an advantage to experienced players over noobs and I think will lead to more angry players if you just leave them as "known" features.

Maybe in a future version?
Just saw this:
dustin wrote:Type / and then type the tab key. That will give you a listing of possible chat commands.
I would announce it in the game description. Waiting to see if this is possible or I will try editing the description later.

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:43 am

how about an option "wait till all players human before turn 1 ends"? or the option to add more time to turn 1 so more players can join.

Also in the game tracker can you put another column for round so we can instantly see what round the game is at. I think this would make it easier to see new games. This would be especially useful if there ends up being a large number of games going on.

Oh yes and a list my games button would be useful so I can see what games I am in quickly.

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:39 pm

how about you sticky this wishlist so people will already know what has been wished for and not repeat it :)

Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Post by Lupus ferox » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:06 am

A red circle with number on top of the Vox icon in de dock showing the amount of games waiting for me....

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:55 am

I think, when more people are playing, we are going to need a large number of games. The vox tracker will need some way of organising it so it is easier to find a game. If there is just a list of 200+ games it will be a pain to find your game.

Just a thought for the future.

Ramcat
Luxer

Post by Ramcat » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:33 am

On the Network Games dialog: a row highlight color for all of the games I am in. Different colors for 'I have moved' or 'waiting for my move' (red/green respectively?). Something to indicate the games I am interested in.

What about a button that takes you to a dialog like the Network Games but only contains the games I am currently in. And instead of the button saying 'Join Game' it says 'Make Next Move' (or something indicating this is not a 'new' game). This button could be on the Network Games dialog or the 'main' window.

Ramcat
Luxer

Post by Ramcat » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Well having played a bit more, I would suggest just a highlight color for my games. The bold text for games that are awaiting my moves works well (and would work better with a highlighted row showing all my games as I could easily distinguish where I need to do what next from what I am involved in and all the other games).

That just gave me a thought - you could have a unique highlight color for games that you are able to join (not all spaces are filled).

So in summary:
Alternating color (as is) for games grid.
Light green highlight (cell color for the row) for joinable games.
Medium blue highlight for any game I am involved in (not guest) and bold text for waiting my move.

Just a suggestion :)

Am really liking the excitement level of waiting for the next move....great players out there.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:52 pm

There's a search-field in the join game window to filter the game list. Type in your name there and it will only show the games you're involved in.

Ramcat
Luxer

Post by Ramcat » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:21 pm

@dustin

Nice, that does make it easy (not obvious for the average user, but easy).

I just had to mock it up to see how it would look. I like it. What does everyone else think?

Ramcat
Luxer

Post by Ramcat » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:36 pm

In chosing a player I would like to be able to type the first unique part of the players name.

Like so:
List of players:
King Voxley III
Queen Waleran
Leo Lionhart
Duke Oxnorth
Duke Devro

Command:
/play q (To get Duke Oxnorth would require '/play duke o')

I was goign to write the java function for you that would convert partial names to complete names except I found I did not have Eclipse installed on my machine. I'll have to do that later...if you're interested.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:16 pm

Hey Ramcat, vox can already do this! Press the TAB key to auto-complete player names from the start of it.

Ramcat
Luxer

Post by Ramcat » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:51 pm

Nice!! :)

Ramcat
Luxer

Post by Ramcat » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:48 pm

The private game address needs a .trim() function added. If you enter an IP address by cut and paste you often get a space at the end. Like so: '10.100.1.1:1234 ' When you hit 'Join Game' nothing happens because of the space. No error msg either.

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:21 am

Team games with a bot suck as the bot is stupid and does not communicate.

Can you not get the bot to atleast tell it's team mates what it's moves are each turn? Maybe all moves should be echoed in the team chat when finished? This would also help when playing with a team mate who is mute.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:52 am

I like that idea! I hope that's possible

drSnuggles
Luxer

Post by drSnuggles » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:34 am

djdee wrote:Team games with a bot suck as the bot is stupid and does not communicate.

Can you not get the bot to atleast tell it's team mates what it's moves are each turn? Maybe all moves should be echoed in the team chat when finished? This would also help when playing with a team mate who is mute.
Great idea. I would appreciate this as well.

mentor09
Luxer

Post by mentor09 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:01 am

drSnuggles wrote:
djdee wrote:Team games with a bot suck as the bot is stupid and does not communicate.

Great idea. I would appreciate this as well.
This is one of the major aspects for the bot i am working at. He will even be able to accept commands via team chat ;-)

In general it's a hard thing to implement. Version 1.14 gives AI-Programmers the inferface for these requests. As I do not have soooo much time (yeah there is real work as well :-)), you will have to wait - or are there other AI hackers at work right now ?

In fact i am not going the simple approach of "field empty so attack with all" method. Coding a _Strategy_ into a bot is hard thing to do. It will take months if not years to create a really good bot (if not cheating by inspecting the other player's moves).