Daily Room confusion

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
mbauer
Not A Truck

Daily Room confusion

Post by mbauer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:41 am

It seems some new Voxers are confused by the daily rooms. I think that may be why we're getting some AFKs. I suggest putting up some sort of disclaimer or explanation when a player enters a daily room that the turn timer is set for 24hrs and thereby the game won't move fast.

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:50 pm

yes it took me a while to work out how to pay and what was going on. I know I am stupid but....

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:06 pm

Agreed. Without clear and easy to see/locate instructions I reckon most traffic will just move on.

( which reminds me, been meaning to work out how to join a 24 hour turn game... think I'll go do that now)

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:59 pm

yeah, its a new concept that might confuse people used to lux's immediate games only.

I like it though, as I can come in any time during the day when I have free time and make my moves, without having to commit to 30+ consecutive minutes (or more) if I jumped into an immediate game.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:35 pm

I agree also. Better description would certainly help. I've been considering the idea of only allowing registered players to join Daily games in the future. That might cut down on AFKs also.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:44 pm

Is the tracker a bit under developed overall? What about an inset with some colour (and movement?) so it feels more alive. Also, if I was unfamiliar with online play I'd look for a 'how-to' link. A fast paced, animated (animatic) tutorial would be ideal here, something which brings first timers up to speed on the essential commands and the nature of online play with long turn times. I'm not saying the game should cater for dummies, just that there's an opportunity here to better inform and showcase what's in store.

Edited to add - maybe the trackers not the place for the link. There's an instructions tab on the Vox app, maybe an 'online tutorial' tab here also...?

btw the instructions tab does not work on mine. I reinstalled Vox and it still does not work.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:03 pm

Does anything happen when you try the Instructions button? Send a Debug Report after trying it plz.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:43 pm

Are more hosts needed? I've been keen to join one of the long turn games for a while now but didn't manage to get on board before any begun.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:49 pm

World War 2 just ended, and a new game there has begun, looking for players now...

Napoleon daily will be over soon also.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:27 pm

Thanks I'll try for the next game of Napoleon.

Has a Vox Widget been suggested?

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:28 pm

definitely something needs to be done - the daily games must get a person a day saying "can I play?" "when is it my turn" and "play /play play start" etc.

Pars
Lux Alliance Fan

Post by Pars » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:23 pm

New guy entered the room while I was playing, he did not know that he could join the game even if it already had started and he did not understand the tracker.

█ Scared General: are u on demo or reg?
Ole: demo =)
Ole: i can not see u moveing ur troops
█ Scared General: I tell u why
█ Scared General: on the game tracker, there a 2 diffrent way of game, 1. long turn, 2. short turns
Ole: brb 2 sec
█ Scared General: ok
Ole: ah
█ Scared General: long turn games can go on for weeks, very intresting
Ole: thx
Ole: lol
█ Scared General: u can join the napolenic wars map
█ Scared General: they need 2 more there
Ole: nice
Ole: brb
█ Scared General: u only need to make 1 move a day
Ole: they started right now
█ Scared General: dont matter, u can still join the game
Ole: its a lot of cool maps here
Ole: I can?
█ Scared General: yes
█ Scared General: wait, I come to that room
Ole: okey

Pars
Lux Alliance Fan

Post by Pars » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:35 pm

I have been online alot lately in diffrent rooms and I have a noticed that when a game ends, it wont Auto start a new one.
The hosts should be on Auto start new game

Even though it says ./start for a new game new user dont see this or they somehow miss it.
I have seen alot of players join rooms and the leave because new game wont start.I have helped when I was there but alot of times noone is there there to help them out.

We lose potential online players and new costumers as well. Becuse I know from my own expreince, that if u get a taste of this, u want more.
so Its important that they get into a game immidetly, once u tried Vox its easy too want more.

It might would help if there was a "link" when u joined a room thats said
" want too join this game?-click here"