Aaaargh

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Aaaargh

Post by jesterme » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Several rounds I have clicked "Finish Moves" and checked back before the round was over only to see the "Finish Moves" button is no longer greyed out and the recruits/moves I had locked in were no longer displayed.

Today I log in and see that my moves were not locked in (even though I did lock them in this morning) and the recruits were not recruited (shows a very large number of recruitable now).

Obviously, my moves are not getting locked in. This could be due, as far as I know, to:

1) I am not clicking "Finished Moves". I considered this possibility the first time it happened but I am certain I have been selecting "Finished Moves". Upon exiting, I choose "I'll Be Back".

2) Bug on my machine. I am not sure if this is a possibility or not. I am using version 1.2 and this might be out of date.

3) Bug on the server side. I am less likely to suspect this as a possibility as I know Mentor stays on top of these things.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. I know I am not the sharpest arrow in the quiver, but I have been selecting "Finished Moves" after making my moves and recruiting selections. I usually do these moves in the morning while working, so the "refillys" are not a possible cause.

Also, I apologize for my moves not being recorded and resulting consequence of letting my team mate down in the game. Again, I was here and I was locking my moves. I am at a loss as to why they did not register and execute.

Thanks guys for any advice/ideas.

mentor09
Luxer

Re: Aaaargh

Post by mentor09 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:21 am

jesterme wrote:Several rounds I have clicked "Finish Moves" and checked back before the round was over only to see the "Finish Moves" button is no longer greyed out and the recruits/moves I had locked in were no longer displayed.

Today I log in and see that my moves were not locked in (even though I did lock them in this morning) and the recruits were not recruited (shows a very large number of recruitable now).

Obviously, my moves are not getting locked in. This could be due, as far as I know, to:

1) I am not clicking "Finished Moves". I considered this possibility the first time it happened but I am certain I have been selecting "Finished Moves". Upon exiting, I choose "I'll Be Back".

2) Bug on my machine. I am not sure if this is a possibility or not. I am using version 1.2 and this might be out of date.

3) Bug on the server side. I am less likely to suspect this as a possibility as I know Mentor stays on top of these things.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. I know I am not the sharpest arrow in the quiver, but I have been selecting "Finished Moves" after making my moves and recruiting selections. I usually do these moves in the morning while working, so the "refillys" are not a possible cause.

Also, I apologize for my moves not being recorded and resulting consequence of letting my team mate down in the game. Again, I was here and I was locking my moves. I am at a loss as to why they did not register and execute.

Thanks guys for any advice/ideas.
I had the same thing happening to me about a year ago and I am still not sure how that happened. maybe you had two connections to the same game? Or you did not quit the window, but got a firewall time out before entering your moves? I think the client can not recognize an IP change on your side sometimes especially if you are firewalled and let your packets go to the bit bucket if there is no SYN/ACK SYN packet received.

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:33 am

No IP Change.

Firewall should not be blocking the traffic. Does VOX use specific ports for the traffic that I should make sure are open?

Also, I have noted occasionally when joining the room the chat does not show up. I have to exit the room and join again to see the chat. I have not paid attention in the past, but these might be the times the problem is happening, due to the quick join/exit/rejoin. I will have to try to keep tabs on if this is the case.

drSnuggles
Luxer

Post by drSnuggles » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:46 am

jesterme wrote:Firewall should not be blocking the traffic. Does VOX use specific ports for the traffic that I should make sure are open?
The tracker is reachable via http/TCP imho and the Vox server hosts run 3319/TCP and up depending on how many you open, meaning 3320/TCP for the next and so on.
For the Vox client only, you normally don't need to customize your firewall unless you've got filter rules for outgoing traffic in place, then you might need to open the above mentioned ones.
jesterme wrote: Also, I have noted occasionally when joining the room the chat does not show up. I have to exit the room and join again to see the chat.
This also happens to me in about 1 of 15 cases and it's more likely the bigger the chat history is imho. It comes up with a gray background then, no text.
However, I wouldn't plan moves in such a situation, since it obviously didn't initialize correctly. Leaving the room, re-checking the tracker to make sure one's no longer shown in the room and then re-joining usually fixes this.

Regarding your initial issue, I really never experienced moves not being executed. Sometimes, due to a bad or unstable connection, it did show me twice in a room, but that would tell me to re-check the room and moves planned when these "ghosts" have been dropped.