Mafia 29: Luxtober Fright Fest Redux — Signups and Rules

The river of vanquished skulls runs forever.
The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Mafia 29: Luxtober Fright Fest Redux — Signups and Rules

Post by The Silken Knot » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:49 pm

• Dear Luxtopia,

How about a nice, almost straightforward little game of Mafia for Luxtober? There’ll be no corruption, bribery, or transferrable items to distract anyone who may be concentrating on more important tasks this month (LUXSHOPPE! TOURNEY BLING!)… nothing but a bit of good old-fashioned logic, deceit and treachery. If you are new to Mafia, this might be a good time to give it a try… unless you are afraid of the dark, or perhaps a bit squeamish. If you are an experienced Mafia player, here’s your chance to see just how well you can fare without quite as much uncertainty…

TSK
Please post below if you’d like to play. Sign-ups will run through noon or so on Sunday, Oct 2nd. The game will begin at 8:01 PM EDT (US)* Sunday Oct 2nd. And please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions via PM.

The SCENARIO

Lord Quasar was feeling expansive. He had decided to open up his derelict film studio for a Luxtoberfest masquerade blowout to end all blowouts. It would be the perfect venue... those persistent rumors of strange goings-on that had forced the studio to shut down would just add to the fun. The partygoers are all invited to come in costume as their favorite Luxer (i.e., themselves). BUT, beneath the costumes lurk other identities. Most are pure-hearted Revelers, just out for a good time… even those few who secretly came prepared for possible mayhem. Others, though, are evil Creatures of the Night, intent on creating an atmosphere of terror as they pick off their adversaries one by one…

The RULES/GAME PLAY

There are two teams: The Revelers (a.k.a., Innocents) and The Creatures of the Night (a.k.a., Mafia).
  • The Revelers: This group consists of most of the players. Their goal is to do away with the evil Creatures, making the Studio safe for hedonists everywhere. At the start of the game, no Reveler will know the unmasked identity of any other player. Their advantage lies in numbers... and in the help of a few special investigative or protective roles.
    The Creatures of the Night: This is a smaller group of players. Their goal is to finish off as many Revelers as it takes to scare the rest away from their lovely spooky lair. The gore is just a bonus. At the start of the game, all Creatures will know the identities of all their teammates. Their advantage lies in knowledge... and the ability to use that knowledge when they kill at Night.
    Depending on signups, there may be two rival teams of Creatures, and/or additional roles.
There are two alternating phases to the game: Day and Night. Each phase will begin at 8:01 PM EDT (US), and end at 8 PM EDT (US)* the next day (approximately 24 hours**)… whether I’ve posted or not. Times may be adjusted before the game begins, depending on signups and group wishes.

* midnight GMT, 1 AM London, 2 AM Bavaria, 7 AM Vietnam, 10:30 AM Adelaide, 5 PM Vancouver/SF, 6 PM Denver, 7 PM Chicago/Minneapolis/Texas, 8 PM Baltimore/NY/Boston...
or check http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html.

** except the first Night phase, which will last 48 hours to give everyone time to ask any questions about their roles or gameplay, and generally acclimate to life in the studio.
  • Day:
    • Each Day, players may vote for one player to be guillotined the following morning. Tie votes will result in multiple beheadings. The player(s) with the most votes will be sent to his/her gruesome end, unless all players formally abstain in the thread.
    • All players begin each Day with one vote against them… their own. To remove this, a player must vote or formally abstain in the thread.
    • If a player doesn’t vote or post in the thread for two full game Days (i.e., 72 hours in real-time), it will be assumed that they have fallen afoul of the Studio’s dark side. This could be ugly.
    • If you would like to play, but religious observances may make the 72-hour rule problematic for you this round, please contact me before the game begins.
    • NO quoting PMs, please. This is a particular pet peeve of mine AND against the Forum Rules. Consider yourselves warned. Oh, and no editing posts or quoting deleted posts or Night posting or posting after you're dead (apart from one fleeting farewell, if you like).

Night:
    • During each Night phase, the Revelers with special roles will be able to use their Night abilities, if they choose. All Night actions should be PM'd to me by the deadline of 8 PM EDT (US) time.
    • During each Night phase, the Creatures may select a target for the kill, and name a Creature to carry it out. On the Night of the full moon only, the Werewolf may also name a target for the kill.
    • Players voted for guillotining cannot perform any actions during their final Night on the Dungeon set. While they still live, their successor (if any) cannot act in their stead.
    • Players posting in the game thread during the Night may meet with an untimely accident.

The ROLES

The REVELERS (Potential Roles): All Revelers will show as INNOCENT to investigations.
  • Professor Van Helsing (Sheriff): The Professor has a vast knowledge of all types of Creatures of the Night. Each Night, he may choose one player to investigate, and will determine whether that player is INNOCENT or EERIE/GUILTY.
    Sookie Stackhouse (Deputy): Sookie stands ready to take over the Professor’s investigative role should he be killed. If that happens, she may choose to focus her telepathic powers on one player each Night, and will learn from this interaction whether they are INNOCENT or EERIE. Fortunately for the Revelers, Sookie’s fascination with the undead has finally run its course and she’s ready to turn those creeps over for justice without flinching.
    Dr. Frankenstein (Doctor): Dr. Frankenstein may select one player each Night for special attention. If a selected player is killed on that Night, the target will be reanimated while they’re still fresh. Dr. Frankenstein may not target (protect) the same player two Nights in a row.
    Igor (Nurse): Faithful assistant to Dr. Frankenstein, Igor stands ready to take over the Doctor’s role in the event of his death.
    Vengeful Zombie (Modified Paranoid Marine): On the Night following his or her death, a Zombie will come back to life and may try to kill any one player. Zombies are activated whatever the cause of death, but only for a single Night.
    Slayer (Vigilante): A Slayer may attempt to kill one player each Night. The traditional Slayer specialty is vampire-killing, of course, but any other being that is targeted will die as well… including fellow Revelers. The only character in the studio wily enough to live through a Slayer attack is Professor Van Helsing, who will preemptively strike the errant Slayer dead if attacked.
    Invisible Man (Private Eye): May choose one player to stake out* each Night. The Invisible Man will catch a glimpse all players who enter or leave the target’s vicinity, but due to his bandages having been a bit tightly (and sloppily) wrapped for a number of years, his vision is severely limited and he will not see any actions that occur. *No pun intended… the Invisible Man is unarmed.
    Edgar Frog (Badass/Comic Store Habitué, Brother of Alan): Edgar has a SuperSoaker full of holy water, and he’s not afraid to use it. Each Night, Edgar can take aim at one player. If he successfully hits any vampire (including the Count), the bloodsucker will show signs of the attack for all players to see the next Day. (Edgar’s water is watered down, hence the failure to kill outright.) If he hits any non-vampire player, including another type of Creature, there will be no damage.
    Alan Frog (Badass/Comic Store Habitué, Brother of Edgar): Alan’s weapon of choice is a peashooter… just an ordinary peashooter… but his “peas” are made of silver. Each Night, Alan can take aim at one player. If he successfully hits any werewolf (including Lycans), the attack will permanently mark the hairy beast for all players to see the next Day. (The price of silver being what it is, Alan’s peas are pretty small… hence the failure to kill outright.) If he hits any non-werewolf player, including another type of Creature, there will be no damage.
    Ancient Reveler (New Role): The Ancient Reveler is wily, but also... well... ancient. When the Game reaches a Day equal to the number of remaining Creatures, the Ancient will slip into the Great Beyond.
    Free-Spirited Reveler (Vanilla Townie): Works with the other Revelers to try to discover who the Creatures in their midst are, in order to vote them out of existence. These players have no special powers to aid them, just their wits and the will to survive.

The CREATURES OF THE NIGHT (Potential Roles):
All Creatures will show as EERIE/GUILTY to investigations, except Count Dracula who will show as INNOCENT. These Creatures are cunning, and may disguise the method of their kills to sow confusion amongst their enemies.
  • Count Dracula (Godfather): The leader of the Creatures of the Night. Has the final say as to each Nightly target for the kill, and names the Creature who will carry out the attempt. The Count may choose to make a kill himself. The Count should name a successor to assume his role and lead the Creatures in the event of his death. Unlike his fellow Creatures, the Count will show as INNOCENT to investigations.
    Vampires (Mafiosi): The Vampires love the depths of the Studio, where it’s dark enough that they are able to move about by Day. But Night is when they really come alive, ready to do their leader’s bidding with sharpened fangs. Can be sent to kill on any Night.
    Lycans (Mafiosi): An advanced form of werewolf, these Creatures are capable of controlling the transformation from man to beast at will… no full moon required. Can be sent to kill on any Night.
    Werewolf (Special Mafioso): A Werewolf is a Creature who can only kill on the Night of the full moon (Night 5 of the game, October 11th/12th)… if he or she stays alive that long. A Werewolf special kill is in addition to the Creatures’ normal nocturnal activity (so, multiple Creature kills are possible on that Night). Can’t be sent to kill on any other Night. A Werewolf has the final say as to his/her own target.

The PLAYERS

• 1. SnyperEye
    2. jesterme
    3. Mud
    4. Rhye
    5. engie
    6. RandomGuy
    7. heartscoffee
    8. Shockandawe
    9. Odelay

10. Enzo1997
    11. schroberts
    12. dollabillz
    13. mazza
    14. Sun Tzu
    15. *Manimal
    16. WhirlPlaid
    17. kude
    18. Big Will E Style
    19. Owned

20. Enokrad
    21. THE J-Dude
[/b]
Last edited by The Silken Knot on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 10 times in total.

SnyperEye
Anti-Holy Assgrabber

Post by SnyperEye » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:59 pm

Me me me me!

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:42 pm

IN!

mud
n00b educator

Post by mud » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:48 pm

I guess I will be needing more absinthe

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:19 pm

I'm in (I never did contact snype about it TSK, I'll wait a little while.)

engie
Lux Dynamo

Post by engie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:21 pm

IN!

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:33 pm

in

heartscoffee
Lux Sweetheart

Post by heartscoffee » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:27 pm

In

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:37 pm

Mafia. Absolutely.

Odelay
ooodelayheehoo!

Post by Odelay » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:59 pm

X__Odelay___

Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

Post by Enzo1997 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:38 pm

In!

Schroberts
Lux Veteran

Post by Schroberts » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:22 pm

In!

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:29 pm

aight

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:21 am

in please

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:45 am

Count me in!

*Manimal
Lux Cutie Pet

Post by *Manimal » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:45 am

in

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous
Location: Habitual board flippers should have their dice taken away.

Post by WhirlPlaid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:30 pm

I will try one more time to stay alive in a Mafia game.

In please.

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Having a goal is half the battle, Whirly... :wink:

Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

Post by Enzo1997 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:22 pm

Kude, currently has no internet, but will be in if he gets it back pre luxtoberfest.

Big Will E Style
RAW Dogger

Post by Big Will E Style » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:47 pm

In

Owned
Lux Veteran
Location: Lair of Bane watching Schro put Symbi into tight attire

Post by Owned » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:30 pm

In.

Didn't read all the rules, but I'm assuming it's normal mafia with different role names...

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:34 pm

wth, in!

THE J-Dude
Underage Luxer

Post by THE J-Dude » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:39 pm

Sign me up, marvelous TSK ..

∞ The J-Dude hands TSK a ten dollar bill; Mutters, "You best give me the role I want, miss." ∞

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Re: MAFIA 29: LUXTOBERFRIGHTFEST REDUX - SIGNUPS & RULE

Post by The Silken Knot » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:43 pm

The Silken Knot wrote:... a nice, almost straightforward little game of Mafia for Luxtober? There’ll be no corruption, bribery...
Besides, I'm incorruptible. Mostly.

8)

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:51 pm

does look great, I got on for a little while today, thought I would have a look. maybe I'll be on full time around thursday, but I'll find some way to get on either way.

Owned
Lux Veteran
Location: Lair of Bane watching Schro put Symbi into tight attire

Re: MAFIA 29: LUXTOBERFRIGHTFEST REDUX - SIGNUPS & RULE

Post by Owned » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:24 pm

The Silken Knot wrote:
The Silken Knot wrote:... a nice, almost straightforward little game of Mafia for Luxtober? There’ll be no corruption, bribery...
Besides, I'm incorruptible. Mostly.

8)
Oh that is such a lie. :P By the way, when is this starting so I can put the date in my ipod...

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:17 pm

Aw, Owned, it's so nice to have you playing again.

The game will begin this Sunday, October 2nd.

I'll leave sign ups open until noon (EDT) Sunday for any stragglers, and send out role PMs that afternoon. The first "Night" will run from 8:01 PM (EDT) Sunday through 8 PM (EDT) Tuesday... an extra-long first Night to give players time to ask any questions and acclimate. Game Days and Nights will each be 24 hours after that.

Put that in your iPod, dearest twerp!

:smt058

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:04 pm

still room for one more?

mud
n00b educator

Post by mud » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:28 pm

I vote for djdee because he has been gone for so long and I find it suspicious.

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:44 pm

yay, 22. Well, stating tomorrow. can't wait! so, does this start on day or night?(I'm gonna go with night, but just in case)