Oct 8 - 9 :: Doubles Weekend - Postponed

The river of vanquished skulls runs forever.
paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Oct 8 - 9 :: Doubles Weekend - Postponed

Post by paranoiarodeo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:32 pm

'eya folks. Some good news and bad news. I'm gonna postpone the doubles weekend for two reasons. First, I never got around to posting a proper signup thread, so folks could trash talk and build enthusiasm for the event, so I suspect turn out would be sub-par this weekend. Second, I currently don't have a version of the Lux host that allows for player queue reordering. In other words, the famous /demote and /promote privs necessary to (gracefully) host such an event. I could try hosting without, but it'd be a nightmare for both me and the players. I suspect we'd all wanna yank out our hair within two hours. I thought about throwing together a quick color collusion weekend, in the spirit of friendly, very casual competition, but I think that'd be a poor substitute. For now, I'm gonna indefinitely postpone this event. I might resurrect it later in Luxtober, as a mid-week event, or wait until November, and host then as a way of continuing the good vibes of Luxtoberfest. Same goes for a new, completely revamped team league in November or December. Time will tell for one or both.

(Meanwhile, maybe everyone should take another look at memory games.)

As for me, it's a gorgeous day here in Minneapolis. The autumn leaves are peaking color wise, and it's an unseasonably warm 80°F, but unfortunately, there's a front coming through later tonight, and bringing with it several days of wind and rain, which will scatter everything beautiful, and hasten the coming of winter. After another cuppa coffee or two, I'm going to take a walk around the lakes near my apartment, and enjoy an hour or two of what remains of my favorite season. When I get back, there's plenty of stuff to keep me busy Luxtoberfest wise for the next two days: data mining and pixel pushing, so next week's events launch with more bells and whistles than before. Honestly, I'll be thankful for a quick breather this weekend. I kinda need it right now. My apologies for this hiccup, and any disappointment that anyone might feel as a result.

Here's to three better weeks of Luxtoberfest ahead of us.
Last edited by paranoiarodeo on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

engie
Lux Dynamo

Post by engie » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Sounds mighty fine, para! Thanks for the update. Enjoy the weather up there in Minnesota.

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:48 am

What is the format?
and how do teams register for it?

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Survivor

Post by GFips » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:17 am

is survivor also postponed or cancelled?
in the original shedule it should take place this weekend.
It would be nice to get some infos ...

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:14 am

im sure para will keep everyone more informed than i could possibly do, but from what i do know, the luxtoberfest will for the 1st time, head into November this year. As all the previous tourneys were extended to give players more time to get their games quota (as many tournies were slow to begin with), it has thrown out the scheduling. 3 day tournies were extended to 5 days, so doubles was postponed, so i dont know when/how para is goin to re-schedule things, but Survivor and doubles tourney will both go ahead, it is just a matter of when

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:34 am

Para is doing a very well job.

But i think it is not good to change the shedule all time, especially not when the tourney already startet. It is already tough to plan all the games if you have a life outside of lux. I personal think 3-4 days should be enough to get your games, especially this week, where only the ladies can play in 2 tournaments. The longer each tourney lasts, the more difficult it might get to become FH games (see ladies and oldies - maybe if it was on one fixed day it might be easier to get all players play).

This post shall not critice anyone at all. I really like the tourney this year, but it would be great to get the things announced just some days earlier, so that everyone can plan for the weekends.

I know Para always wants everything to be perfect. Maybe Dustin should also publish some informations, when tournies are postponed or the shedule is changed. Para does already a 24h hour job - so i also want to use this situation to give Para a great thanks for all his work.