Oct 18 - Oct 23 :: Oldtimers / Veterans / Rookies / Ladies

The river of vanquished skulls runs forever.
paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:40 pm

Behemoth wrote:Soundboy: 728 points for a total of .7 games played. Handy.
If you look at the VETERANS leaderboard, you'll notice none of the stragglers have a similarly high score. The difference lies in the minimum game requirement. Put simply, when calculating your average score, the formula assumes a baseline 500 value for all your unplayed games below the minimum. Therefore, your (early) score, in absolute terms, will rise and fall more slowly in tourneys that require more games.

Behemoth wrote:Are opponents rank a factor in how points are tallied? For instance, would a top 5 player have more to gain from playing against those among the top 10 than say, from among the top 20?
Generally speaking, no. I decided that such opponent strength handicapping wasn't appropriate in these short term tourneys. If they were longer, stretching over multiple weeks, with more players, so cherry picking weak competition was more easily done, then perhaps doing so would make more sense. Honestly, though, there are other factors to consider. Most players are not universally skilled in Lux. They tend to be much stronger on their map of choice, and are often quite average outside of their comfort zone. I can name a variety of players as examples, but that's another discussion (argument) for another time. Also, previous results based on clustered cliques aren't applicable to the circumstances of these tourneys. Throw a bunch of biodeux heathens into a classic game with a career 30% FH classicist, and suddenly, he might not be able to maintain that average, given the half killing chaos that often occurs; throw a bunch of Rome players into biodeux, and who knows, maybe a career 40% FH biodeuxer will rise to 50%, as seemingly obvious moments to pop income are ignored; etc. Ask anyone who's been playing in this week's VETERANS tourney: THE GAMES HAVE BEEN WILD! Point being, IMHO, to adequately account for player strength, and adjust scoring accordingly, we'd need much more data where player intermingling was prevalent.

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous
Location: Habitual board flippers should have their dice taken away.

Post by WhirlPlaid » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:28 pm

I believe the Veterans tourney is over and want to be the first to congratulate the top three for an excellently fought series of battles.

Huge monstrous w00t to Behemoth! for first place and to Mazza and Samuel99 for second and third.

Also a major kudos to the host extraordinaire para!

w00t w00t w00t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:47 am

Hmm whirl ... you were faster than me ;-) I hoped to be the first ;-)

Nevertheless congrats to the 3 well deserved winners Behe, Mazza and Sam. Very well done, especially Mazza as second with so many games and such a high avarage! I take my hat!

3DA and me should not have played the last hours and we would have been easy 3rd with our initial 11 games, but thats lux ...
So the others did just better in sum and well deserved their wins.

to mnemo:
I personally want to apologize to mnemo for that missed kill in the rome game. It was not personal and not a suicid. I needed that kill to card, as i would have been dead else with 5 cards anyways (i had no cash on 4). So i tried my luck (i had about 40 vs 32 at the start hoping you dont use your magical dice), but i should not not have still tried after i had only 8 vs 16 left. I am Sorry for that, but it was my only chance ... . I was frustrated because of my dice and the games before where i had really bad luck. REAL SORRY! MY BAD! I did not want to ruin your game!

to Para:
big thanks for all the work you did for this luxtoberfest tourney. You spent the whole month a lot of time (and i think you are not payed for this, which makes it even more honorable to mention!). I really enjoyed this tourney also i played my self really bad games. THANK YOU!
Last edited by GFips on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:37 am

Big congrats to Behe!!

you must have played like a feckin monster to get such a high score over your 11 games.......with just under the minimum games, i was up with you, but gee, like Para said, the games were sooo friggin insane over the weekend, that a few 5ths here and there put me way back in the field, and then spent so much time and effort just to get close to you, which i couldnt anyway......just got happy to place in the end, i suppose, even if 2nd is the award that no one really wants (add another to my bulging collection of bridemaids awards)

i guess everythin that para mentioned above rings true; this was indeed not only the hardest tourney of luxtober, but also, the most unpredictable, by far, and also, the most frustrating for not only myself, but i think the majority of the players involved. Not only did the rotating maps/ winner picks next map bring so many peeps out of their comfort zone, the killing bonus that has been implemented for these tournies has also brought an "unpredictability" to the tournaments that has never been there, as peeps are more willing to take the risky kills, even if it means their head is the next on the chopping block....It is/was stupid of me to carry on about certain factors of the tourney when every other person was subjected to the same rules, and conditions, and the same levels of asshattingness (not a word, i know)

since Gfips started the apologies, i really should apologise for some of my outbursts over the weekend, especially comments made about how much of a "lottery" this tourney was.....even if i did think it, it prolly was not the time to start crying about some of the moves made against myself, as i was responsible for some pretty questionable moves against other also. So, in particular, Glu, Guillerme, Pickle, Engie, para, Aqua, mentor, dolla, mumps, and anyone else that had to hear me carryin on like a pork chop, i am humbly, deeply and sincerely sorry for makin you guys hear me whine for a good part of the 2 days......

You know, i have known that this lux thing is only a game for 4 years now, yet, it is a wonder how such a game can stir up so many emotions in all of us......it must be a pretty special game that 1 minute, you seriously are thinknig about uninstalling the game, and the next second, you are playin for 3 hrs straight the next day, chatting, laughing, and enjoying the company of all around you.

I love you guys!!!

PS.....
Behe, Mumps.......you know what guys, if this luxtober was a battle of the nations, out tiny population of Australia would be kicking the rest of the World's arse by so much , it aint funny!!!! Go you good things!!!

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:01 am

Oi, Oi, Oi!

Seems like every player had trouble on their 10th game, myself included. The 10th was the only Rome game I played and it reset (surprise surprise)

Before I worked out I was in my 11th game it had already started... Lost a significant number of points in that one too.

Anyway well done to all high achievers and a bow to the host with the most. Mazza did especially well considering the number of games he racked up.

/me thinks we should cut the first place trophy in two and share it.

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:44 am

wow, congrats behe! I wish I could've been there... I hope the games were all great. And of course to everyone else too! just glad to see some romans pulling ahead in the world.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:43 am

paranoiarodeo wrote:Most players are not universally skilled in Lux. They tend to be much stronger on their map of choice, and are often quite average outside of their comfort zone.
Games /me played in the VETERANS tournament.

Classic - 6 games: 3 fh wins. 2 fh loss (2nd/4th)
Deux - 3 fh games. 3 fh wins.
Teleport - 1 game.
Rome - 1 fh game. No winner (reset)

Who's buying? :beers

engie
Lux Dynamo

Post by engie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:31 am

Well done, Behe. Congrats!

:clap:

3DA
Luxtopian

Post by 3DA » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:50 am

Super hard fought games, gents and ladies, throughout the whole week! I have to say - most of these games were clean, well-played, and super fun. There are always a couple bad apples in the mix, of course, and tempers can flare in stiff competition - but all in all I thought it was a great tournament.

Congrats to Behemoth and the medalists and everyone who played! It rocked. And big, big thanks to para, who orchestrated all of this for everyone's pleasure. All in all a great tournament! :smt023

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:50 pm

Behemoth wrote:Oi, Oi, Oi!

Seems like every player had trouble on their 10th game, myself included. The 10th was the only Rome game I played and it reset (surprise surprise)

Before I worked out I was in my 11th game it had already started... Lost a significant number of points in that one too.

Anyway well done to all high achievers and a bow to the host with the most. Mazza did especially well considering the number of games he racked up.

/me thinks we should cut the first place trophy in two and share it.

It's all yours buddy!! dont expect me to cut my castle gold in half and share it with you......and besides, i personally believe that, one day, Gold will behold it's true master, Silver!!

:wink:

Samuel99
MOTW For Life

Post by Samuel99 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:17 pm

I agree with you mazza that emotion get the best of us sometimes in this game and make our judgement go crazy sometimes,but Im sure that all the shit we say is just part of the game and that most of us dont even remember it next day.And for sure its an impressive win by Behe with only 11 games played.Im never gonna be able to take advantage of the BONUS for the limits games played in all of this months tournment...

imapickle
is a pickle

Post by imapickle » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:29 pm

I have to say that this was one of the most intensely competitive competitions i have ever been in. Every 6th place was a source of anguish and every 1st place, jubilation.

Congrats to the winners, comiserations to the not so winners, and thanks to the organiser.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:51 pm

Last edited by paranoiarodeo on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:09 pm