GAME :: Labyrinth

Zombie Lincoln will save your Lux soul.
paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:40 pm

Survivor points are incidental to your game, and have no bearing whatsoever on the outcome. Furthermore, any points awarded here won't affect the team seedings. I've mentioned this to you more than once, Cloobie. I don't understand why you continue to insist upon waiting for me, or why you thought it necessary to make a backhanded comment either.

∞ paranoiarodeo grumbles ∞

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:48 pm

n00less, thanks for volunteering to host, and for finding this game. Quite a labyrinth, indeed! I'm going to cleanly admit that I'm knackered, and plan to hunker down* with 3DA in Room 42 for the duration.

Is the game over? If so, could you please post the winner(s)? I think all the other hosts except poor Richard have wrapped theirs up. Thanks!

*All through the Tropical Something-or-Other-but-NOT-A-Hurricane Sandy, our governor and mayor told us all to "hunker down"... every five minutes, or so it seemed.

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:03 pm

Well here we go:

In the end I decided against dq'ing those who either used google to find the solution, or were given hints FROM someone who used google, but I also wanted to acknowledge someone who solved it on his own.

Our First Solver was SunTzu, who may have had a little help from George Oogle, but remains our 1st place solver!

Second to make it out alive was Mud, who was given hints, but found his way through after an ardurous 68 moves!!! He gets our most-traveled award!

Third place goes to Milltycoon who also inadvertently received a few hints, but did a yeoman's job exploring the Labyrinth, and made it out in time.

And finally, kudos to Whirlplaid who solved the Labyrinth without outside help, and apparently used HIS OWN BRAIN (really, I'm as shocked as you all are!) and even solved the riddle with only the hints provided for solving the bonus mazes.

Congrats to ALL our winners and explorers!

If you enjoyed the main labyrinth, I'd advise purchasing the source material "Maze: Solve the World's Most Challenging Puzzle" by Christopher Manson. The Bonus Mazes came courtesy of another of my favorite books: "Mad Mazes: Intriguing Mind Twisters for Puzzle Buffs, Game Nuts and Other Smart People" by Robert Abbot and Martin Gardner.

I hope you all enjoyed the Labyrinth and look forward to seeing you all next year!

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous
Location: Habitual board flippers should have their dice taken away.

Post by WhirlPlaid » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:44 pm

I solved two of the bonus mazes which was a very big help. Knowing that room 29 was important (from one of the hints) helped me find the "inner sanctum" of the maze. I don't think I would have found room 17 without the clues from the bonus hints.

As far as the riddle goes... there is no way, NONE, that I would have so much as defined the riddle more less solved it with out the other hints I received from the bonus mazes. Part of the quest was to define the riddle... even though all the information was in front of me, I couldn't put it into a logical format with out more clues from the bonus maze.

Even with the clues from the bonus maze I did have to ask nudeless some questions to get on track, so I can't say I defined the riddle totally alone. Once the riddle was defined, the answer (IMHO) was pretty easy.

I can say I had a great time, first getting lost in the maze, then finding my to the center and finally back out again. Thanks for the host noodles!

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:02 pm

When the book came out in the 80's it originally had a $10,000 prize so it was MEANT to be extremely tough which is why I gave credit just for making it in and out of the maze

I chose this more for the beautifully done pictures and engaging story than for the puzzle. In the end some of the most fun rooms to wander through are far from the path of the solution. I'm glad you had a good time. I'm sorry if my scanner use was less than optimal but it was a bit of a difficulty scanning 46 pages. :)

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:10 am

would someone throw us a bone and post the solution. this shit was BANANAS.

Milltycoon
Bagels with Lux

Post by Milltycoon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:43 am

Here is the solution. The key was to get to room 29, which was a larger .gif than all the others. Several paths led eventually to room 29. There is what appears to be a table in the middle of room 29, but it is actually the door to room #17 (intentionally obfuscated to appear not to be a door). Room 17 leads to the Center Room (Room 45), where there are a bunch of objects and images in the room.

I think it is virtually impossible to determine the riddle from the objects, and even when someone has the riddle, it is hard to determine what the answer is. The riddle is a series of puns and rebuses. The W combines with the "Hat" picture to form the word "What." (And it goes on like this. Way too cryptic and arbitrary for my taste, and no one solved it without either help or clues).

After "What", the shoe and letter U anagram into the word "House." Then there is a "will" on the table, as well as a bunch of logs, a sun, the letters IAM and a hand shaking a spear. You are supposed to draw "Woodrow Wilson (wood row will sun) and William Shakespeare (will IAM shake spear)" from this table, and the keyword is "Will". Then there is a picture of an "awl" on the wall (contrasted with the picture of the nun, for "all or none"), and you're supposed to somehow choose the "awl." The banner with the VELI on it is an anagram of "live," and then there is an eye (I) and a Z on opposite walls, but you are somehow supposed to know to turn the Z sideways to make an N, and combine the N with the eye to form the word "in."

So, if you are on LSD and can get into the exact mindset of the puzzlemaker, you are supposed to deduce "What house will all live in?" as the riddle. If I were given the riddle by itself, I would STILL not know the answer. But the answer they are looking for is "the world." And by a series of even more cryptic clues throughout the maze, clues that inhabit the rooms tracking the quickest path from room 1 to room 29 and back, the maze gives a secondary clue, something like "Like Atlas, you hold it upon your shoulders." So if I had both the riddle and the secondary clue, I would have gotten the answer. But it was all so painfully random that I would have spent the rest of my lifetime in the Labyrinth if I couldn't have had help. In the end, the most fun thing for me was the chase, not the brain teaser.

I'd like to congratulate and thank Nooless for an excellent host of this event.

mud
n00b educator

Post by mud » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:03 am

Yes thanks for the maze. It was quite a brain teaser. I had everything mapped out as best as I could.