B-Ron Middle Earth v2.2

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
B-Ron

B-Ron Middle Earth v2.2

Post by B-Ron » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:32 am

Test Post: http://www.virmalo.net/luxB-Ron_MidEarth_v2.2.sit

225k Includes:
B-Ron_MidEarth_v2.2.luxb
ReadMe.rtf
B-Ron_MidEarth (Theme)

B-Ron

OOPS. THIS SHOULD BE RIGHT:

Post by B-Ron » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:34 am

Test Post: http://www.virmalo.net/lux/B-Ron_MidEarth_v2.2.sit

225k Includes:
B-Ron_MidEarth_v2.2.luxb
ReadMe.rtf
B-Ron_MidEarth (Theme)

IdahoEv
Luxer

Nice Job

Post by IdahoEv » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:29 am

B-Ron, nice job on the map. That's a cool technique for keeping the theme visible! (though I still think we should get transparent countries at some point...) Seems I have some competition!

There's something I'd like to show you, by the way, because it was extremely ironic when I looked at your map. It involves something I'm not quite ready to make public yet, but I think you're going to laugh when I show you. Can you email me? luxer at LRDesign dot com...

...Ev

Cipster
Lux Newbie

Post by Cipster » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:57 pm

:!:

Hi.. The Middle Earth Map is cool...and very difficult (which I like. It's the only map I haven't beaten yet.)

I have a question about one country in the upper left hand quadrant of the middle earth map. It seems that other players can bypass the armies protecting it in adjacent countries. In other words this small country can be taken 'behind the lines...

Thanks!

AJ
Luxer

Transparent countries

Post by AJ » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:44 am

We sort of already have transparent countries, it's just that the background for countries is fixed. Notice that the countries all have a crumpled paper effect on them, well if the textured image was replaced with your country background, Lux would be superimposing the colors on that instead of the textured paper.

All Dustin would need to do, is allow the theme to set a custom country background image to display instead of the built-in texture and transparent countries would be a reality. In fact he could add a tag to the board format file <transparent countries> or something, which would tell Lux to use the same background image for the sea and the countries. That would allow for realistic looking maps, or old fashioned looking ones, it would probably look pretty nice too, with the color overlay. You would get best results from grayscale backgrounds, because it wouldn't interfere with the colorizing.

If you want to see what I mean, have a look inside the Lux package, and inside the resources folder, you will see five jpg files, called land1.jpg to land5.jpg, when Lux starts a game, it picks on of these jpg files to be the background for the countries. If you replace these texture images with copies of your map background, then your countries will be rendered transparently in color on top of your map. Of course it will apply your background to every map, which will look dumb, so I only suggest it as an exercise to see what transparent countries will look like, and to test your future maps in anticipation of Dustin enabling this little feature idea.

Oh and do it on a copy of Lux, so that you don't have to put it back together again later. If nothing else it will make you feel like a hacker. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, or how to look inside a App's package, then forget I said anything, and carry on as you were.

This is the sort of wholesome, harmless Lux hacking that I engaged in to produce the very first custom map (Classic Risk) before Lux supported custom maps.